Gay Byrne for President!!

As far as I'm aware, he has no detailed knowledge of constitutional law, so is not fit to be President.

It's the "foot in the door" fear that troubles me most.

While you could make a case for Gaybo, it would set a horrible precedent. We'd have President Tubridy shortly after Gaybo's state funeral. He's said before that he'd be interested in politics and this sort of cermonial role where you get to meet the great and the good without having to get your hands dirty would suit him pefectly.

This depresses me more than the state of the economy.

I blame Clint Eastwood and to a lesser extent Arnie for starting all this.

Ronald Reagan was only a B Actor so he doesn't count.

As far as I'm aware, he has no detailed knowledge of constitutional law, so is not fit to be President.

That's not a requirement. And did the current Presidents and her predecessor ? I know they have legal backgrounds, each having held the TCD post of Reid Professor of Criminal Law.

Wouldn't mind seeing Brian Crowley in there either, a nice guy, intelligent, humble

I nkow 3 things about him. He's a MEP, he has a mullet, he's confined to a wheelchair. What are his qualifications ?

One thing about having Graybo as President.

We could save a bundle on the voiceovers and interviews with visiting dignitaries.

Plus his Summoning of the Pope to the Áras for a dressing down over the priest scandal would be something to look forward to.

ONQ.

I think you're confusing the "value-added" features of the Robinson Presidency with the actual requirements.

ONQ.

Fianna Fail have said they would support him as an independent so he would have no problem getting a nomination.
Willie O'Dea was on morning ireland on rte. It was hilarious stuff. He reckons the president should be someone not linked with politics even though his party has had a virtual stranglehold on it since the history of the state.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0810/byrneg.html

Essentially he will be an 'Independent' FF candidate ala some of the so called 'Independent' FF gene pool TDs we've seen in recent governments?

Has anyone else noticed that there are more and more National Safety Council ads on the tele at the moment...especially the one with the girlfriend in the wheelchair? The cynic in me tells me that they are spending their budget while they havit it before Gaybo leaves.

Brian O'Driscoll maybe? What about Colin Farrell?

I firmly believe that the President should have some sort of political experience. This isn't celebrity Big Brother.

For once Sunny is right! ')

Why not go the whole hog and have a "Search for a President" show on RTE on Sunday evenings. It would be hosted by that lovely Grainne Ni Seoige (unless of course she fancies a pop at the job herself).

We could all text our votes in favour of our preferred candidates with e proceeds going to "charideey".

I'd love to see Ronan Keating as president and I don't see why I shouldn't have the opportunity to vote for him.

Why not go the whole hog and have a "Search for a President" show on RTE on Sunday evenings. It would be hosted by that lovely Grainne Ni Seoige (unless of course she fancies a pop at the job herself).

We could all text our votes in favour of our preferred candidates with e proceeds going to "charideey".

I'd love to see Ronan Keating as president and I don't see why I shouldn't have the opportunity to vote for him.

Lol :D Excellent!

Brillant. I don't really watch those type of shows but this would be must see TV for me.

Don't forget about Hector and Dustin either

Excellent, Staples-definitely the best suggestion I have seen to date! Not sure I can agree with your choice of Ronan, I would want Jedward in there:D!!

Now we are going to have 2 Gays running for president and no David Norris.
Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes...

He thinks Eurpoe is run by 'mad people'. It will be interesting to have a euro-sceptic candidate in the race.

[broken link removed]

Back