Gardai: kicked handcuffed male into the back

The OP should report what they have seen as there is no excuse for it. Lets see what response they get before judging the complaints procedure.
I agree. No word from the OP so I wonder if they have bothered to report the issue after all?

Then why, as has been reported, were they not wearing their ID numbers?

The beating would be ok with the ID badges in place then?

If promoting a guy who beats the daylights out of an unruly protester is the way they do things, we are lucky to have any rank and filers.
Maybe just maybe he was promoted for the other work that he was doing. An unruly protester sounds like someone that was shouting boo hiss rather than what tends to happen when mobs form.

Adrenalin is also a drug.
A natural legal one.

But until we realise that there are more than a few bad apples, we should adopt a questioning attitude to any unusual activity by the boys/girls in blue.
And maybe we should stop making assumptions as to why bad people do bad things and simply encourage guards to take the necessary action to rid our society of the continual build up of thugs and scumbags that have gradually become more and more brazen in their actions. If anything the guards are guilty of not doing enough, being intimidated and afraid of confronting the worst offenders.
The worst offenders weren't in the reclaim the streets protests but when people show a clear lack of respect for the law it should be nipped in the bud.

The beating would be ok with the ID badges in place then?

Ah c'mon - you know what I meant.

I was responding to your suggestion that they didn't enter into confrontation lightly. My suggestion is that the decision for the gardaí to 'confront' was all but made prior to them showing up - and also that they were willing to 'engage' to an extent whereby they did not wish to be identified.

Anyway, it's OT and maybe as mentioned we should wait for Shootingstar's response.

a friend of mine has recently joined the gardai. he was telling me about a car chase he was involved in a few weeks ago. a teenage scumbag stole a car and ran riot through a housing estate almost killing some kids in the process and terrorising all the families in the estate. he then left the estate and proceeded to drive the wrong way up a dual carrageway with gardai following. a woman with her two kids in the car coming the opposite way was hit by the scumbag and narrowely escaped death or serious injury. the gardai eventually stopped the scumbag with some stingers thrown accross the road. my friend and his workmates proceeded to arrest the scumbag, they were spat at and assaulted while doing so. a large knife was found on the scumbag. my friend and the guards gave the scumbag a few digs when placing him in the car. i dont see anything wrong with that...

my friend and the guards gave the scumbag a few digs when placing him in the car. i dont see anything wrong with that...
Regardless of the mitigating/extenuating circumstances it simply is wrong and illegal.

Regardless of the mitigating/extenuating circumstances it simply is wrong and illegal.
illegal? it could be argued that you are wrong actually. the gardai were assaulted and spat at, so they defended themselves. I dont think many people would agre with you when you say the gardai were wrong in this situation.......

illegal? it could be argued that you are wrong actually. the gardai were assaulted and spat at, so they defended themselves. I dont think many people would agre with you when you say the gardai were wrong in this situation.......

Ever hear of reasonable force? How many gardai (grown men) against this teenager?

Resisting arrest is grounds for a more, ahem 'robust' modus operandi on the part of the Gardai, imo.
Unfortunately, what's (arguably) illegal and what's 'right', are sometimes the same thing (no comments on Iraqi invasion) and the PC brigade are spouting from their soapboxes about inquires and ombudsmen etc.
Young apprentice scumbags have absolutely no respect for, or fear of, the law. This manifests itself in being brazen and 'hard men' even when being arrested. A few digs might settle them down so that the Gardai are not in unnecessary danger when doing their jobs to keep the place safe.

If word got out that anyone caught by the Gardai was likely to receive a less-than-gentle welcome, with little chance of being seen as the victim, it may slightly change attitudes by the 13 year-old hoodies running about the place.

Ever hear of reasonable force? How many gardai (grown men) against this teenager?

I've seen plenty of teenagers who could easily take down a 'grown' man. Add to that the threat of jail, and they become much more dangerous. If said teenager was drunk/coked up/whatever, the threat increases again. Why have pity on such a specimen. He should count himself lucky that he wasn't being scraped off the road.

I've seen plenty of teenagers who could easily take down a 'grown' man. Add to that the threat of jail, and they become much more dangerous. If said teenager was drunk/coked up/whatever, the threat increases again. Why have pity on such a specimen. He should count himself lucky that he wasn't being scraped off the road.

Unfortunately the response to this scenario from some will be the teenager could be drunk/stoned because he was depressed from another injustice against him!
People should realise that even kids younger than teens are capable of terrible acts and are absolutely fearless of the law. Outside of the legalities of guards getting heavy handed with offenders I don't think the majority would think it was wrong.

I just think it is very hard to pass judgement unless you have been in the situation. None of us want to see people being beaten a la Rodney King but at the same time, I can also understand why sometimes Gardai use more than reasonable force. I already said that I think the incident seen by the OP should be reported as there is no excuse for kicking a handcuffed man (whatever the verbals) but at the same time, we need to have a sense of prespective. The job that the Guards do is dangerous and they deal with alot of not very nice people who probably don't share the same sense of right and wrong as people on AAM. Not every situation is black and white.

Did you read the story? Stingers, car chase etc. This was more then 1 man v boy. Half of the police force seemed to be there. I don't pity law breakers esp when they should know the law, I.E Gardai.

Recently there have been tales of shop/cafe owners being 'encouraged' by uniformed guards not to charge. It may or may not be true. But until we realise that there are more than a few bad apples, we should adopt a questioning attitude to any unusual activity by the boys/girls in blue.

There are also 'tales' about all our pilots and doctors getting drugged up before going on duty. There are 'tales' that immigrants can get a free car if they claim they were racially abused on public transport. There are 'tales' about everything but it doesn't make it true

Did you read the story? Stingers, car chase etc. This was more then 1 man v boy. Half of the police force seemed to be there. I don't pity law breakers esp when they should know the law, I.E Gardai.

Yes I read the story, and I saw what was written.
Calling him a 'boy' is slightly misleading. A 17 year-old is still a teenager, and no boy.
'Half the police force' is very misleading and not representative of the probable scenario where 2 or possibly 3 Gardai were trying to control the suspect. Any more than that and they get in each others way. Now, 2 or 3 people trying to control a (possibly) 17 year-old male, who wants to get away, is not "Police brutes assault young boy".

This manifests itself in being brazen and 'hard men' even when being arrested. A few digs might settle them down so that the Gardai are not in unnecessary danger when doing their jobs to keep the place safe.
I would say that violence would make the offender worse.
Fighting fire with fire.

What do you do for a living? Have you ever tried arresting anyone carrying a knife, resisting arrest and spitting at you? So he got a few digs? Big deal. If he felt he was so harshly treated, I am sure he complained to his solicitor who then in turn contacted the GSOC. Its very easy for people here to judge situations and be morally superior tucked safely behind their computers.

What do you do for a living? Have you ever tried arresting anyone carrying a knife, resisting arrest and spitting at you? So he got a few digs? Big deal. If he felt he was so harshly treated, I am sure he complained to his solicitor who then in turn contacted the GSOC. Its very easy for people here to judge situations and be morally superior tucked safely behind their computers.

You are also judging the situation without being there ,(unless you are your mate and now are just trying to defend your actions) My apoligise mistook you for kkman!

What I do for a living is irrevelant to this discussion.

The Gardai, in my book should be trained professionals that should be equiped to deal with violent offenders (lets face it, its what ye get paid to do, and it shouldn't come as a surprise when someone resists arrest). The Gardai (keepers of the peace) should do just that.

Last edited:
What do you do for a living? .

What has that got to do with this discussion ???

Have you ever tried arresting anyone carrying a knife, resisting arrest and spitting at you? .

A bit overexaggerated

So he got a few digs? Big deal.

Nice .........

Its very easy for people here to judge situations and be morally superior tucked safely behind their computers.

You said it Sunny

Back