Gardai: kicked handcuffed male into the back

Low level harassment consists of things like getting stopped very often for trivial things. Tax inspection several times a day, getting stopped for going 1 km/h over the limit. Loads of parking tickets, refusal to sign forms etc.

The high level stuff, is scary in comparison.

If someone urinated or defecated in the back of my van or car. If someone spat in my face. If I saw a piece of dirt mugging an old person etc. etc.

This can be added to charge list, and is the legal approach.

Assault is Assault, and particularly cowardly as the prisoner was handcuffed.

Low level harassment consists of things like getting stopped very often for trivial things. Tax inspection several times a day, getting stopped for going 1 km/h over the limit. Loads of parking tickets, refusal to sign forms etc.

Yep, that's the sort of thing.

This is the sort of thing that the GSOC are there to deal with. Of course perhaps this predated their establishment? I'm not sure if/how they deal with retrospective complaints...

I don't believe the gardai have anything to fear if you go and complain.

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

Interesting this was brought up. A Garda friend of mine was working that day and he said that they were subject to a high level of intimidation by the crowd.

He had guys standing almost nose to nose shouting abuse and urging him to have a go. Throwing shadow punches and kicks right in his face. The squad car he was sitting in at another time was almost toppled over by the crowd. Strangley none of this was caught on camera by the tree huggers.

The Garda that was caught on camera was unfortunate if you ask me. He did nothing more than the Garda that beat the English football fans at Lansdowne a good few years ago. I don't recall anyone compaining about that.

Interesting this was brought up. A Garda friend of mine was working that day and he said that they were subject to a high level of intimidation by the crowd.

Maybe, but do all those in the footage represent "the crowd" ? - surely only some of the crowd were involved in the provocation? Anyway, still no grounds for vicious assault.

The Garda that was caught on camera was unfortunate if you ask me.
Was it ever explained satisfactorily why he was not wearing his identifying number as required by Garda rules and, as far as I know, the law?
He did nothing more than the Garda that beat the English football fans at Lansdowne a good few years ago. I don't recall anyone compaining about that.
Actually many people did at the time. Many innocent English fans were injured in those attacks.

[broken link removed]

Itsn hard to judge when you can't see whats been said or done by the 'victims'.

Maybe, but do all those in the footage represent "the crowd" ? - surely only some of the crowd were involved in the provocation? Anyway, still no grounds for vicious assault.

And not all those in the crowd were being 'assaulted'. There are situations where there is a crowd and you can't simply keep asking people to move or obey the law and I'm sure they didn't enter into physical confrontation lightly.

Then why, as has been reported, were they not wearing their ID numbers?

I think the reason given was that an emergency call went out so all guards who were on lunch breaks, just finished duty etc were asked to respond immediately and some of them had taken off the ID numbers and didn't put them back on. I don't know how true this is.

Hardly Football fans, lets keep perspective here.

OK we'll call them people. Same point.

Not sure why they weren't wearing their numbers and can't recall what excuse was given at the time.

If someone tries to topple my car over, essentially endangering my life they will be "assualted" if that's what you want to call it.

Crumdub12 - What exactly is the charge for urinating in the back of a garda car?

I think the reason given was that an emergency call went out so all guards who were on lunch breaks, just finished duty etc were asked to respond immediately and some of them had taken off the ID numbers and didn't put them back on. I don't know how true this is.
Here we've got the scenario of a few cops not being able to eat their meals whilst wearing their IDs! And those very same ones not being able to affix them on during the journey. How did these fellows ever pass out at Templemore? As far as I remember, one of these keen upholders of law and order has since been promoted. If promoting a guy who beats the daylights out of an unruly protester is the way they do things, we are lucky to have any rank and filers. The response to most complaints is to close rank and get their PR man to do just that ......... PR. As for police investigating police? What a joke. It's like having having a jury of thieves serving in a robbery case.:(

Here we've got the scenario of a few cops not being able to eat their meals whilst wearing their IDs! And those very same ones not being able to affix them on during the journey. How did these fellows ever pass out at Templemore? As far as I remember, one of these keen upholders of law and order has since been promoted. If promoting a guy who beats the daylights out of an unruly protester is the way they do things, we are lucky to have any rank and filers. The response to most complaints is to close rank and get their PR man to do just that ......... PR. As for police investigating police? What a joke. It's like having having a jury of thieves serving in a robbery case.:(

I am not sticking up for the guards but lets get this into prespective here. The OP should report what they have seen as there is no excuse for it. Lets see what response they get before judging the complaints procedure. I actually know one member of the gardai who is currently under investigation for excess force. Without commenting on details of the case or possible guilt, I can see first hand the effect the investigation is having on him (suspended from duty, facing possible criminal prosecution, family devastated, on anti-depressants). This is the way it has to be and he accepts it but annoymous posters shouldn't come on here insulting an entire police force based on a few bad apples. The same garda above was assualted in work a couple of years ago requiring hospital treatment. The person who did it claimed he was high on drugs, got a supended sentance and a small fine. Not exactly justice either.

Adrenalin is also a drug. Let's see how the case pans out. Was the fellow who was high on drugs suspended on full pay while waiting for the outcome/court case? Maybe he was self medicating because of another injustice? Recently there have been tales of shop/cafe owners being 'encouraged' by uniformed guards not to charge. It may or may not be true. But until we realise that there are more than a few bad apples, we should adopt a questioning attitude to any unusual activity by the boys/girls in blue.

Back