Garda speed traps

what about the norn iron system, where you pass cameras continuously taking numbers and further on you pass the same again and they can compute your average speed between them. theres about 6 of them between the border and sheepbridge near banbridge at present. as I will be using the N11 tomorrow I will observe the speed limits even if it sickens the following drivers. not my problem if they get annoyed. and for what its worth I have posted here before that I personally believe the speed limit on the M50 is too high. too much traffic for that speed limit. if one accident occurs then anything is liable to happen. I know it a good road, but the volumn of traffic is also very high.

cuchulainn said:
what about the norn iron system, where you pass cameras continuously taking numbers and further on you pass the same again and they can compute your average speed between them.

These are now quite common in Holland, they were introduced on a stretch of motorway ( 3 lanes) in Rotterdam, where the speed limit was set to 80 km/h for environmental reasons ( noise and CO2 levels). It must be the most effective way of enforcing speed limits, everyone sticks to 80, you will always get a fine if you don't.

just back from weekend in new ross. used the m11/n11 for the first time in 10 years. it was like a throwback to the old days. bits of good road here, bits of bad road there. Gorey should be renamed Stoprey as the Go bit is anything but accurate. coming back today I noticed we went from 100 to 60 at that Kilmacanogue spot, for no apparant reason. where did 80 go to? can see why it would raise the hackles of regular road users. in general would hate to be driving on this road on a regular basis. IMO road not up to the volume of traffic on it.

Travel down to Rosslare about 4 times a month.. getting through Gorey is anything from 45min to 80min.It has 2 traffic lights in the main street "regulating" flow. Other than that there is no reason for the delay.

On the speed issue, there is a regular "speed trap" at the Leopardstown race course every Fri night, set up about 20 metres from a major roundabout.. whoever plans these sitings is seriously deluded if they think it will sort out the carnage on the roads.

cuchulainn said:
just back from weekend in new ross. used the m11/n11 for the first time in 10 years. it was like a throwback to the old days. bits of good road here, bits of bad road there. Gorey should be renamed Stoprey as the Go bit is anything but accurate. coming back today I noticed we went from 100 to 60 at that Kilmacanogue spot, for no apparant reason. where did 80 go to? can see why it would raise the hackles of regular road users. in general would hate to be driving on this road on a regular basis. IMO road not up to the volume of traffic on it.

On the sunday Tribune on er, Sunday there was a 2 page article on road deaths on that stretch of road (i think). Harrowing stuff.

whackin said:
On the sunday Tribune on er, Sunday there was a 2 page article on road deaths on that stretch of road (i think). Harrowing stuff.

The article related to a stretch of road on the N11 further south than the stupid 60kmph limit at Kilmacanogue with it's dual carraigeway (where as far as I know, there's been little or no incidents of road traffic deaths in last couple of years).

Which just shows the stupidity of the speed limits. The limit (as far as I remember) on the stretch of road mentioned in the article is 100kmph, on a single carriage road.

The Kilmacanogue 60km speed limit seems to be a case of Wicklow CC sticking their heels in and not conceeding that the limit is ridiculous in the face of opposition from every auto associated association (AA.. Dept of Transport etc) but as they bye laws are set by local councils nobody can intervene and it takes more than 12 months to review a byelaw. From Loughlinstown out the limits change from 120 km to 100km to 60 km to 80km and back to 100km all in the space of prob 10 kilometers and its all dual carraigeway!! bizarre.

What's the story with the Michelstown bypass? That's 80 also. Been asking around and the only answer I get is 'money-spinner'.

Back