Garda speed traps

P

padh

When a speedtrap is operated by Garda , do they have to stop you to issue penalty points . I know the fixed Gatso cameras photo the Reg no. and one gets done that way....but a Garda held speed gun does it record the number plate ...( you kno wthe ines that look like hairdriers or video cameras)

How could a body express annoyance to a Gardai without incurring the wrath.

Saw a speed trp setup on the north carriage on the N11 at Kilmacanogue at the north end.

Dual carriageway main road to wexford with a rediulous limit of 60 KPH

Fish in a barrel very cynical place to wetup a trap.

Not saving lives making money.

Beware though that there have been a few cars issued with forward looking 'gatso-like' equipment that negates the need to pull you over. Although it'll be hard to notice this speed gun will be hooked up to the car and records and image of you as you speed.

Can someone confirm if the 'gatso' ones are the transit vans with the blacked out windows? Also, when there is just one garda in a car with the hairdryer type out the window, does he need to pull you over for you to be caught? Thanks..

Saw a speed trp setup on the north carriage on the N11 at Kilmacanogue at the north end.
Dual carriageway main road to wexford with a rediulous limit of 60 KPH

So is your problem with the speed limit ? The Gardai are not responible for this. They enforce the law. If you dont want to get caught then dont exceed the speed limit.
Fish in a barrel very cynical place to setup a trap.
Why ? Should the gardai send a message out on the radio to tell people that they will be catching people speeding in x place at y time ?
Not saving lives making money.
Assuming people didn't break the law by speeding then I dont see how they would make money. Would you be happier if they decided that everyone should drive at 140km/h to 'save' lives ?

The stretch of road on the N11 at Kilmacannog was the subject of a recent court hearing. As far as I can remember the County Council were unable/unwilling to provide evidence that this pecular speed limit had been properly consitituted.

Does anyone know what the process is for setting speedlimits? Is there a facility for members of the public to object if they think the limit is inappropriate (either too high or too low).

Are speed limits revised in light of changing circumstances?

I also seem to remember Minister Cullen having a go at Co Co's who (he claims) have been negligent in the execution of their statutory duties concerning the administration of speed limits.

Does anyone know what the process is for setting speedlimits? Is there a facility for members of the public to object if they think the limit is inappropriate (either too high or too low).

Speed limits are set as byelaws by the appropriate council. they publish a scheme of speed limits and invite submissions. there is a minimum period for submissions to be recieved and then the councillors consider the submissions and then adopt or vary the speedlimit byelaw.

Hi

It was on the radio that a judge in Wicklow threw out over 200 speeding tickets issued in Kilmacanogue because of some problem, probably because of ajapale's reason, County Council couldn't provide some necessary information... the radio report didn't give much info....

It sounds like a good defence, I didn't know speed limits could be challanged... I had a problem with a speeding ticket issued just south of Kilmacanogue, had to go to Bray district twice and appeal to the Circuit Court in Wicklow, won in the end... the State chose not to contest the case in the Circuit Court for some reason...

Still a nightmare, had to take three days off work and call into Bray District Court five times.

Cheers
Joe

One other thing on speeding tickets

It's a principle of law that you can't be offered an inducment or incentive to plead guilty to a crime, however the penalty points system does just that, plead guilty and get a reduced penalty... what a joke, I thought people had a right to have a case proven against them without threat of an increased penalty.

I posted this question before and there wasn't a satisfactory response in my opinion.

Cheers
Joe

Joe ,

I reckon as soon as somone is brave enough to contest this leagl question we will see challenge. I reckon already considered by Govt lelgal advisers who must have some basis for reckoning it woould stand up. My guess is a smart lawyer could challenge it.

P

Very interesting episode of [broken link removed] on last night (Discovery - repeat of 5th Gear 2003, series 4, 2 [broken link removed] Oct 20 Ultimate Stealth Car) in relation to speed checks etc.

Covered everything from the "laser detectors" (which I was surprised to hear a UK police officer confirm as legal) to the "laser jammers" (obviously highly illegal given they interfere with police activity) [disguised as parking sensors or remote garage door openers which totally block the speed guns just giving an error code]. Combine these with the "paint" you often see for sale which "blinds" a speed camera when it flashes and the home made CD hanging from the rear view mirror (reflect/scatter a laser speed gun) and it really is disturbing. Was especially surprised that the radar sensors (warn a little in advance of approaching a police speed gun) were said to be fully legal (at least in the UK), believe I've heard stories of them being confiscated in the past.

Quite an old show (some may not even be relevant now) by now so wouldn't even like to think about what could turn up should it be investigated now.

Hi NiallA,

Thanks for that information.

Speed limits are set as byelaws by the appropriate council. they publish a scheme of speed limits and invite submissions. there is a minimum period for submissions to be recieved and then the councillors consider the submissions and then adopt or vary the speedlimit byelaw.

Im assuming that the bye law could have been passed back several decades ago and that the scheme of limits relate to new or proposed revised speed limits?

aj

Satanta said:
Covered everything from the "laser detectors" (which I was surprised to hear a UK police officer confirm as legal)

They are totally legal in the UK as the Police were taken to court about them and they were Judged to be legal on the grounds that they warned the driver of potential accident black spots (were the police were meant to be doing speed checks)

but of course in Ireland, even the mention of them to a Garda is totally Illegal and warrants 1000000 penalty points...

RonanC said:
They are totally legal in the UK as the Police were taken to court about them and they were Judged to be legal on the grounds that they warned the driver of potential accident black spots (were the police were meant to be doing speed checks)

but of course in Ireland, even the mention of them to a Garda is totally Illegal and warrants 1000000 penalty points...

Quite rightly. Anythign which assists in people speeding without threat of getting caught should be illegal.

whackin said:
Quite rightly. Anythign which assists in people speeding without threat of getting caught should be illegal.

They are legal in the UK for a SAFETY reason. GARDAI in Ireland do not do speed checks in accident black spots.. They sit on Dual Carraigeways collecting money for Revenue. Not exactly helping with the preoblem is it?

I had this arguement with a very high ranking Garda in the Traffic Corp. I asked him why do Gardai continue to hide behind bus shelters, walls, bushes, vans with their speed guns and Gatso's instead of being VERY HIGH Visability so that drivers are aware that they are there. Maybe we need to be told point black not to speed and if the Gardai were visable on the roads like they are when filmed for TV or news reports. Why when you see a news report on TV, you see 6 Gardai in High Visability jackets with the speed gun, clearly seen to all drivers on the road.. But in reality they hide in unmarked cars, vans, behind all sorts of things... If you were speeding and went past them but didnt see them. Would you continue to speed? probably !!! But if you saw then you think again about it and more than likely slow down !

rant over.

RonanC said:
They sit on Dual Carraigeways collecting money for Revenue.

You're obviously blinded by personal experience. It's not quite as simplistic as that. The law is the law and it should be upheld despite the opinions of people like you who think they know better.

whackin said:
You're obviously blinded by personal experience. It's not quite as simplistic as that. The law is the law and it should be upheld despite the opinions of people like you who think they know better.

the law is the law and its made by people who being honest havnt a clue whats going on in the world..

and for the record, i've no penalty points. no speeding convictions and a clean full NCB and have an Advanced Driving course under my belt. I drive every day on the busiest roads in the country during peek times mostly so not even a chance to speed if i wanted to....

whackin said:

I am sickened by the amount of young drivers being killed on our roads. It really gets to me. I am young enough and wonder could this happen to me, does this happen to all young drivers?? But then i think. I feel im pretty well educated on the roads, speed limits and so on.

But what is being done about it?? ah sure just blame the people who speed on the N7, N4 and N11... Its their fault. But is it?? Tell me the last time somebody lost their life on either of those roads.. so why do the Gardai constantly set up speed checks here? Looks like Easy Money to me and lets be honest it does.

whackin said:
people like you who think they know better.

and i dont think i know any better than the next person. Im voicing my opinion, you dont have to listen to it, but whats a forum all about ?? Voicing your opinion.

Back