Garda 6 day "blitz" learners/NCT/Tyres etc.

Graham_07

The 6 day program by the Gardai on unaccompanied learners, checking NCT/Tyres etc was well announced last week. I'm just wondering has anyone seen / or been stopped at such checkpoints ? Haven't seen or heard of anyone in my area at all over the last few days. Was just curious as to how extensive this program really is.

Saw two of these both in Clondalkin area. One on Friday night, the second on Sunday afteroon. Was on the opposite side of the road to me, so did not find out what was being said, but in one case 4 or 5 cars had been pulled in and were being dealt with by one Garda, whilst the second one checked through everyone else passing.

Saw two of these both in Clondalkin area. One on Friday night, the second on Sunday afteroon.

I seen the one on Sunday afternoon also, a Ford Focus getting pulled up onto the back of a removal truck...
My NCT is out at the end of this month and earliest I could get it booked in for the test is mid July,if I'm stopped on July 1st all I have is a text from the NCT confirming my booking..
Bountyhunter.

There was a huge presence in the Arklow area at the end of last week. Roads in and out of the town. Quick glance at my stickies and I was waved through..obviously look too old to be a learner! Third time I've been checked in as many weeks although the previous two were in Gorey.

Didn't see much in the Cork City Area either, one speed cam on the Ballincollig Link Road on Sunday Morning and that was it.

There was one outside Gorey on the Arklow road at 9am on Friday morning, just knew it would be there when they said they would have a crackdown as its just an obvious place and time for it. That said I was waved through and they didn't even look at tax/ins etc.

why are they checking learner drivers, i did not think that had come into force yet?

The law relating to learner drivers has ALWAYS been there.

Had to laugh when I heard the Gardai announcing these measures as a blitz on drivers. Surely all they are doing is enforcing the law which they should be doing everyday.

Why do they have to announce that they are doing what they are supposed to be paid to do?? What next?: Tesco announcing that their staff at checkouts will scan the items you are buying, take money off you and give you change?...

Tesco announcing that their staff at checkouts will scan the items you are buying, take money off you and give you change?...

Well at least in Tesco you can do that yourself. What next....self-issuing speeding fines ! hmmm.

I met one on the Monivea rd just before briarhill in Galway on Sat. I need air in my tyres (hate that job) and my nct is out since March. I pulled up put the car put the car neutral etc waiting to explain. He looked at the screen made his was to my side of the car and waved me on.

Did a 200-mile return trip to Galway over the week-end - saw no evidence of any check points, just one Garda-car with blues on and a young lad pulled over (speeder ?).

The Garda enforcing the law???

Wonders will never cease.
It brings possible head-line announcementss to mind:-
'Mick O'Leary announced today that RyanAir will actually allow passengers with valid tickets onto their aircraft and fly them to a destination. "For a paltry additional €5,000.00 we will in fact fly them to a destination of their choice, rather than one we pick", Mr. O'Leary concluded'

'Mary Harney announced to-day that in a new initiative, all HSE hospitals will reverse current trends and only admit people who are genuinely ill and discharge them when they are well. "This is a major paradigm shift for our health services. Our tendency has been to admit people with one illness and discharge them once we were sure they had contracted several new ones, as well as the presenting problem", Ms. Harney continued.

'Initial financial analyses of this new initiative indicate a change in current health contributions for all PAYE workers of between 65% to 75% of net pay.'

Neighbour of mine was stopped at a checkpoint outside Galway on Saturday. Car's an old banger, never been NCT'd & tax out since May.

Neighbour jumps out of car, tells Guard he applied for tax online but hasn't received disc yet. Guard may or may not notice lack of NCT disc.

"Ah, go on, get outa here"

Yes, he feels really clamped down on! :rolleyes:

well its nice to see some guards have a human side........we dont want a complete force like robots.

Car's an old banger, never been NCT'd & tax out since May.

From what I have heard, the guards seemingly will never do you for tax unless it is 3 months or more out of date. As for NCT, I have a Polish mate who has a 1999 car that he has never NCT'd. He has been stopped 3 times....never pulled up. His tax & insurance are ok.

It brings possible head-line announcementss to mind:-
'Mick O'Leary announced today that RyanAir will actually allow passengers with valid tickets onto their aircraft and fly them to a destination. "For a paltry additional €5,000.00 we will in fact fly them to a destination of their choice, rather than one we pick", Mr. O'Leary concluded'

'Mary Harney announced to-day that in a new initiative, all HSE hospitals will reverse current trends and only admit people who are genuinely ill and discharge them when they are well. "This is a major paradigm shift for our health services. Our tendency has been to admit people with one illness and discharge them once we were sure they had contracted several new ones, as well as the presenting problem", Ms. Harney continued.

'Initial financial analyses of this new initiative indicate a change in current health contributions for all PAYE workers of between 65% to 75% of net pay.'

LOL.

Lets face its, the level of enforcement in Ireland is pitiful.

As someone in the other thread said, if you didn't have plates up they wouldn't know to stop and check you. So all this will achieve is more people driving without L plates. They should have those automatic license plate scanners like they have in the UK. Check car registration, check with database is there a learner on the policy. Pull car.

Back