French Civil Servant suspended for telling truth.

Happens everywhere , I worked in numerous jobs including a flour mills , a brewery , a mushroom farm , a furniture factory and a Bank and the level of dossing in each job was world class.

Happens everywhere , I worked in numerous jobs including a flour mills , a brewery , a mushroom farm , a furniture factory and a Bank and the level of dossing in each job was world class.

Chances are though when you're caught dossing like that you're sacked. Not so with the PS.

I would think that there are dossers in every job,but the magnitude of this is typical...

I doubt very much that anyone in the private sector would be allowed to get away with this ,for that amount of time..

I was at a car tax office some weeks ago ,there were six people at the counters..I observed them while I was waiting and the way two of them could do something so slowly was worth an Oscar!

It was actually funny to see them take a form,very slowly,look for a pen very slowly, put on their glasses slowly,press a button on a computer slowly,take off the glasses again,slowly,take the credit card very slowly,it was really like looking at someone in slow motion.
The other one had a face like thunder,one guy went up to her and said,hi there,how are ya,and she didnt even have the manners to answer him!
In fairness she wasnt just being rude to him,she was like that with everyone !
On the other hand there was a girl at one of the counters who smiled at all the customers,worked at a fair speed and was just doing her job,I hoped that I would get her,and luckily I did!!
My point is ,this has to be very disheartening for the girl who worked efficiently and the others who were pleasent.
It has to effect how she feels when she puts in the effort every day to be faced with those who couldnt be bothered,and she would also know there is nothing she can do about it,and there is nothing the management can do about it.
This is the whole problem with the PS.There are some who are ruining what could otherwise be a nice pleasent enviornment ..they are like a disease that spreads..and those who do want to work ,who do want to be pleasent ,often leave ,because they are disheartened and disillusioned.
That leaves a large majority of those who dont care,and that is a pity.
When I worked in the PS I was told that I did not have to take any so called abuse from the public,this meant that if someone so much as questioned me,I was told,(and have seen it done), you tell them,you do not have to take this "abuse" and hang up or walk away from them.
When I worked in the private sector,I was told the customer is always right,if a customer questioned my answer,I was to clarify and satisfy..
There is no doubt that there is huge wastage ,a lot of dossing and a lot of JObs worth in the PS.I know from personal experience ,from family and from friends who work there who are appalled at some of their co-workers behaviour.
This will NEVER be tackled...so those who do the dossing etc can continue to sit back and relax.
when will the Irish version be published you may ask? Watch this space..
As soon as I can get Protective Custody...

Last edited:
I must say I've had exactly the same experience with laissez faire attitudes in shops, restaurants , hotels and banks (any Public facing area really ) up and down the country , friends tell me the same.

Really goes to show that no matter what sector people work in these problems are universal.

The problem isn't that some people are lazy and bad at their job -- the problem is they get away with it! Sometimes I wish our employment laws weren't so strong in this country. Too many people take the ****.

I know the above statement is controversial, but as a good employee I know I never have to worry about my job. Being good provides a lot of job security.

I do think there is some difference though, when a customer can :

A; take their custom elsewhere,

B; Know that they can complain and be heard and heeded ;

C; Know that there will be repercussions for that member of staff ;

D;The staff are aware that if there behaviour contuinues that they will lose their jobs..

That is a big incentive to keep the customer happy and to keep your job!

I do think there is some difference though, when a customer can :

C; Know that there will be repercussions for that member of staff ;

Unfortunately unless the supervisor/manager has the full co-operation of senior management, including proper training in how to deal with people the slacker can shout "bully" and probably get away with it.

The manager is then in the dock. He backs off and the slacker continues on his merry way.

It is amazing how many different types of personalities there are out there. We all know each and every type, we all work alongside them.

I think it also fair to point out that the most professional level of service I encountered both on an expertise and human level was from the Social Welfare office where I sign on and the Revenue Commissioners and the Probate Office with whom I've had dealings with recently.

Unfortunately lazy co workers are the bane of every sector , I must say that in my experience in the private sector I never remember anyone being fired for non performance , sure they suffered in the promotion stakes (and not in all cases ) but that was about it.

I suppose the difference is that my taxes don't pay the wages of those in the private sector, nor can I take my custom else where in the public sector if I'm unhappy with the level of customer servive received.

Wouldn't you agree deiseblue?

French Civil Servant suspended for telling truth.

Ah now. We cant have that type of thing starting. Where would it all end ????

You'd have to wonder about serious dossers though (where ever they work). I equate them to the spongers living off the dole who could quite easily get a job but who prefer to lounge around all day at home. Both are probably not having a great time. For the dosser, I bet the day is really long. For that happy efficient female worker above, I bet she has a much more enjoyable day and feels a lot more fulfilled at 5pm every evening.

I suppose the difference is that my taxes don't pay the wages of those in the private sector, nor can I take my custom else where in the public sector if I'm unhappy with the level of customer servive received.

Wouldn't you agree deiseblue?

That's true, but it doesn't make dossing right no matter where it happens. Nor does it mean that there are less wasters in the Private Sector than the Public Sector . You get them everywhere - some people working in public offices working as slowly as possible, some people working in shops chatting and ignoring the customers; some public servants stealing part of their salary by taking long coffee breaks and unjustified sick leave, some private sector workers stealing stock from their workplace, not declaring their full earnings for tax etc, etc. Lazy or dishonest workers cheat everyone whether they work in the public or private sector. I know people can be sacked from the private sector but it hasn't led to a noticeably improved attitude out there. You still get crap customer service, shoddy goods, late deliveries and so on, on a very regular basis regardless of how often you shop around for better service.

By the way Purple, how do you know she was fired for 'telling the truth'. Maybe she was fired for telling a pack of lies, distorting the facts and describing events totally out of context.

That's true, but it doesn't make dossing right no matter where it happens.

Absolutely but neither is dossing in the private sector some sort of justification for dossing in the public sector, via some sort of "dossing benchmark system"

If I don't like the amount of cheese that Spar put on my sandwiches then I'll go to Centra

However if I don't like the way that eg Wexford Revenue processed my tax return, can I go to Galway because I think that they are more efficient

Back