Ford Focus-Isofix Fittings

fluffy47

Recently purchased a 07 Focus Hatchback from a Toyota Dealer in Louth. Before striking the deal we asked if it had isofix fittings and he said yes. One week later we picked up the vehicle, brought it home went to install the isofix car seat to find out that it has indeed no isofix fittings! We need to get it installed in the car-I priced the kit with Ford and the kit costs 15euro. Went to book it in for fitting and when I asked for a total price on the job I was told that they do me a deal and install it for 150euro!!!
Inlight of the cost 1. can I install this kit myself does anyone know or 2. should I bring it back to the garage I bought the car from and get them to install it for me considering they told us it was in the car in the first place.

Any ideas would be great.

If it was clear all around that the presence of an isofix was fundamental to the decision to purchase the car I
(i.e. if it was a condition of the sale), then the seller is legally obliged to provide you with one. This is covered under consumer legislation which is enforced by the ODCA.

I don't know how feasible or difficult it is to install an isofix receptor after the car has been built but if it can be done, the garage should reasonably cover any associated cost.

Hi Fluffy47,
Just wondering what this cost you in the end and did you get sorted?
My wife bought a 08 ford focus hatchback(not latest model!) in January and we arenow expecting our first child in 10 weeks so just checking this kind of stuff out now when buying the car seat.
First of all I can't believe one of the most popular family cars around doesn't have isofix as standard so we were shocked to find that out.
I didn't realise it was possible to get it installed so would be great if we could as I'm worried about only strapping the car seat in as it doesn't look too stable. We have just purchased the maxi-cosi (without base) but would prefer to get the base and isofix sorted out.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks a mill,
Marty.

we bough a new focus in '07 and had to get the ISOfix installed. Even though the demographic for a 5-door hatchback would be a lot of young families, the ISOfix is not standard, and is a €15 extra as stated above. Similiarily we were quoted the same 1.5hours @ €75 per hour to install them, and eventually settled on €100 all in.

having seen the pieces I'd say you could put them in yourself no problem. The hatchback seats fold forward, and its just 4 U-shaped bars to screw onto the existing holes on the chassis. 2 on each side.
why they aren not standard is beyond me considering the holes are already there. I have a '00 megane with these were standard!

btw, for anyone in two minds, ISOfix is the absolute business, will never ever go back to the seatbelt method. To say the child seat is anchored solidly would be an understatement.

If you have these settings is it easy move a car seat into another car (whether the other car has isofix or not?).

Never heard of isofix tbh, I gather its a much more secure anchoring method. Is it compatable with all child seats or do you need to be careful with these as well?

If you have these settings is it easy move a car seat into another car (whether the other car has isofix or not?).

Never heard of isofix tbh, I gather its a much more secure anchoring method. Is it compatable with all child seats or do you need to be careful with these as well?

Its very easy to put in and remove. It clips in to the rear seat much like the close mechanism on a car door, and justa s solid.

the ISOfix car seat is very specific to ISOfix, but it will also be compatible for just using your car seat.

In our case we have ISO in both cars, so it takes literally 3 secs to remove and install.

If you are in the market for children, just ask in mothercare or any such store ;)

Heres a load of google images to better visualise what we're on about.

EDIT: Good overview article:
[broken link removed]

If you are in the market for children ;)

Yeah - I've bought one and another is due for delivery in under 3 months :)

Fluffy47

I was in the same boat as you. I have a 04 Mondeo and was about to buy an isofix and a non-isofix base as I couldn't see the isofix attachments.
What Ford did was fit the isofix attachments, mention nothing about it in their manual, and then cover them over with the seat covers.

I had to cut through the seat covers with a blade. In the back seat where the two sections meet the attachment points were under the cloth of the top section not the lower section.

Not sure if I'm being very clear about this.
Hopefully it's the same for your Focus.

Hairy

Ps. Hi All! This is my first post (hopefully of many)

Right folks,
I'm now confused.
Just rang a main ford dealer and having waited 24 hours on them getting back to me been told that they could install something for the isofix seat but wouldn't recommend it as the seat may not be stable!!!!:confused:

Does anyone out there have a "Stable" isofix seat installed in a ford focus??

I think I'll try another dealer!
Cheers,
Marty

Right folks,
I'm now confused.
Just rang a main ford dealer and having waited 24 hours on them getting back to me been told that they could install something for the isofix seat but wouldn't recommend it as the seat may not be stable!!!!:confused:

Does anyone out there have a "Stable" isofix seat installed in a ford focus??

I think I'll try another dealer!
Cheers,
Marty

nonsense I'm afraid. The ISOfix seat is far more stable than the older seat-belt system. ISO being the International Standards Organisation (as in ISO 9000 etc), it means all cars comply with the standard.

Why the person may have been confused (apart from not having children) is that the ISO seat has a 'leg' that supports to into the floor of the car behind the passenger seat to prevent the seat lurching forward in an accident as the back seat is soft/spongy. Anyone with an ISO seat knows what I'm referring to. It makes the seat incredible solid & stable on all three axis, left/right, in/out and up/down.

Compare that to the seat-belt system: in the event of an accident the childseat can move forward until the seatbelt locks, and then the seat can still lurch forward anf of course left/right depending on what direction the car has an accident.
Theres honestly no comparison; we've used both.

BTW, there are no rear-ward facing ISO seats (that we could find anyway), so its only when the child is old enough to be forward facing that you need to get an ISOfix seat. Every baby shop will sell them.

well, well

interesting reading , ill definetly be asking ford when i get a chance,, baby due in jan and i was seriously thinking of changing the 06 focus, just to have somethig with the isofix

will be very glad to hear more posts on this and if its a success

any excuse really to get rid of it, hate the focus, and going cheap

spending 15 euro will make herself want to keep it,, win win

any excuse really to get rid of it, hate the focus, and going cheap

true its no Roller, but its the biggest car in its class, and herself wanted a 5-door hatchback. She moved from a '99 Clio, so to her its a Roller

long may that last ;)

Very suprised a '07 Focus does not have iso fix. my VW Golf Yr 2000 and my wifes Seat Ibiza Yr 2000 had iso fix . its a very safe and easy to use system.
the focus is a family car, Ford should include this in there cars or risk losing sales..

well just visited the main stealer on the ennis rd in limerick,, stores man looked at like i had 2 heads and never even heard of the iso fix,, now what?
where can i order this

ok an update, went to the other ford delaer on sat morning, and ordered the part (bracket) it was 30 euro, so i presume i am getting two bars,, anyhow they wont have it in for a week,, now can anyone tell me whats involved next?

update, collected my two brackets, yes i only needed one, an ford tell me special order parts can not be returned, looks easy to fit,two bolts (supplied).

so anyone looking ofr a focus isofix bracket, let me know, i have a spare one!

Back