Forced to remove satellite dish?

I suppose if no-one complains then the mgmt co. won't get them removed. They are as much employed by me as they are by the person who erects the satellite dish or whatever . . . . it's just I'm the one with the leasehold agreement on my side, which I and everyone else who bought signed before taking possession. Let the buyer beware - I assume everyone reads what they sign.

I for one would complain, and have, especially about the one which went on the front of a ground floor apt, was approx 6 ft in diameter and was only about 5ft off the ground.

It really is the thin edge of the wedge - if you don't believe me take a drive around some areas of Dublin . . . .it's not an urban myth.

PS: even private houses who want to erect a dish on the front of their house are supposed to get planning permission . . . again, if no-one complains they're grand.

Thanks for all the great replies. Very interesting to hear people's views on the matter.

I think my only option is to write a polite letter to the Management Agent and ask them the reason for the removal of the dish. If they tell me it's for no other reason than a breach of the 'Lessee Agreement' then I shall ask them to call an EGM to discuss the matter with residents before removing the dishes. If the dishes are to be removed then I will ask them to allow me to finish my contract with Sky and remove it then myself.

I don't want to get into an long drawn out arguement with them over this because I know technically I am in the wrong. If it was the other way around I would fight it to the death, believe me.

Very interesting Lipstick69-nice to see some soild info.

I could be wrong, but there may also be an EU law that entitles citizens/residents to receive broadcasts from their home country. If the only way to do this is via a dish, well you are entitled to a dish (I'm open to correction on all this).

Of course none of this is relevant if you are an Irish citizen and your cable operator provides RTE etc.

Very interesting Lipstick69-nice to see some soild info.

I could be wrong, but there may also be an EU law that entitles citizens/residents to receive broadcasts from their home country. If the only way to do this is via a dish, well you are entitled to a dish (I'm open to correction on all this).

Not if you've willingly signed a lease agreeing that you won't have a dish.....

I just threw that one in - not meant too seriously, as I wouldn't want to raise the temperature again. I think most people's reaction to reading this thread would be that it's an excellent example of how easy it is to find agreement where shared space is involved !

I think my only option is to write a polite letter to the Management Agent and ask them the reason for the removal of the dish. If they tell me it's for no other reason than a breach of the 'Lessee Agreement' then I shall ask them to call an EGM to discuss the matter with residents before removing the dishes. If the dishes are to be removed then I will ask them to allow me to finish my contract with Sky and remove it then myself.

I think that's reasonable.

I'm with KalEl and Thrifty. You signed a legal agreement (lease/deed of sale) which stated that dishes were not allowed but still you went ahead and put one up and now YOU are feeling hard done by? Give me a break!

Part of the reason we bought where we live is that dishes aren't allowed, nor are clothes lines nor any antenna/aerial (or hanging basket) and you know what - the place looks great!

Buttermilkja - Would you sign a contract for a job that said you work 38 hours but decide you would only like to work 20 hours, because you preferred it that way? What gives you the right to decide you can change the rules to suit yourself. You want to call and EGM, not an easy thing to do....read your lease and do some company law research.

If the dish is that much of a problem, move to somewhere they allow those flocks of dishes. As for the Sky subscription....you took a risk and got caught. An expensive lesson to learn.

I'm with KalEl and Thrifty. You signed a legal agreement (lease/deed of sale) which stated that dishes were not allowed but still you went ahead and put one up and now YOU are feeling hard done by? Give me a break!
No, I never said I was feeling hard done by really. Just annoyed that they are heavy handed about it and not looking for a solution which will suit all. I feel more hard done by about the fact that they don't help very much when you contact them but when they want something they jump down your throat.

Part of the reason we bought where we live is that dishes aren't allowed, nor are clothes lines nor any antenna/aerial (or hanging basket) and you know what - the place looks great!
LOL, sorry to be so dismissive but you're running off with yourself there a bit.

Firstly, I had much more important things to worry about when deciding to buy than whether it allowed dishes or not. If that was a priority for you then fair enough.

Secondly, stop bringing in extras like hanging out clothes on the balcony etc. You're just trying to colour your arguement as far as I'm concerned. I never ever mentioned this. It's a small 2ft wide black sat dish that's barely noticeable.

Thirdly, the estate I live in has plenty of Sky dishes around the properties and to be perfectly honest, it's one of the best kept estates around. The dishes don't make any difference whatsoever.

Buttermilkja - Would you sign a contract for a job that said you work 38 hours but decide you would only like to work 20 hours, because you preferred it that way? What gives you the right to decide you can change the rules to suit yourself. You want to call and EGM, not an easy thing to do....read your lease and some company law info on www.cro.ie
Bad comparison.
I never said I had the right to change the rules to suit myself.
I've read my lease.

If the dish is that much of a problem, move to somewhere they allow those flocks of dishes. As for the Sky subscription....you took a risk and got caught. An expensive lesson to learn.
Sure, I'll move house just to receive Sky. :rolleyes: Yes, it may well be an expensive lesson. For myself and possibly tens/hundreds of others in the estate. This what I'm trying to avoid. If a lot of people are happy with dishes then why not try to come to some arrangement rather than bowing down to people who just shout rules at you!

Rules are rules. You signed up to rules that said no dishes and are p*ssed that they're trying to enforce that rule...I know management agents can be useless at the best of times but satellite dish removal is a much more visible sign of activity to help justify their charges!

I wasn't trying to colour my argument, simply addressing additional issues brought up in this thread by other posters.

I still disagree with you about dishes being ugly....regardless of size they are an unattractive addition to any building. If there are loads of other dishes in your estate then I'm sure they received similar letters. Here they took down 12 in one day.

You said you want to call an EGM to change the rules..which would allow you keep your dish...ergo you want to change the rules to suit yourself.

It amazes me how few people take the legal documents they sign when buying property seriously. You admit you knew dishes weren't allowed but rather than stick to the rule you want to change it. But you signed a legal document to say you'd abide by the rules....

Good luck with your challenge...if it works out let us know.

As for taking KalEl's advice, I think not. I've owned a 3 storey townhouse for 6+ years, in a similar scenario, so I've run the gauntlet, worn the T-shirt, seen the video........and my dish is still there and cannot be touched. My opinion is informed by on the ground experience, and what can be done to effect the desire result. KalEl is offering platitudes based on appealing to 'sensibilities'. Time for others to respect the sensibilities of others in the same position as the OP, really.

What relevance does you having a satellite dish on the outer wall of your house have?
The whole point if this is when you own an apartment you don't own the outer walls. Sticking a satellite dish on communal property and breaching your lease is unacceptable. I doubt anyone would like to see dishes on every apartment.
Why respect the sensibilities of someone who is carrying on like they own something they actually don't?

Look, to be honest, I really don't want to get into arguement here about the issue. I was just looking for examples of people who have run into the same problem.

I must come across like a spoilt brat who always gets his own way if you think that I'm just doing this so I can change the rules to suit myself. I'm sorry if that's how I'm sounding but that's not what this is all about.

All I'm trying to do is address a rule that is ridiiculous and outdated and due to the fact that many residents have dishes it is a clear signal that the rule needs to be discussed and amedned if neccessary rather than simply enforced without regard.

Times change, people change, rules always need to change. If I am the only one looking for this rule to be changed in my estate then I'll shut up and take the dish down, but I'm 100% sure I'm not the only one. Therefore the rule, in my opinion, is not in the best interests of all the residents and needs discussion. I can't put it any simpler.

Anyway, just to fill you in... I've sent an email on the matter to my management agent yesterday afternoon but haven't got a response as yet. I will keep you updated.

What relevance does you having a satellite dish on the outer wall of your house have?
The whole point if this is when you own an apartment you don't own the outer walls. Sticking a satellite dish on communal property and breaching your lease is unacceptable. I doubt anyone would like to see dishes on every apartment.
Why respect the sensibilities of someone who is carrying on like they own something they actually don't?

Wow...there's just no budging you on this one is there? You can't see past the rule. The rule is everything...we bow down before the rule! ALL HAIL THE RULE!!!!! ;) People, in general, not just picking on you, take the word 'legal' to mean some immovable mountain. You signed the document therefore you must die by the rule...yadda yadda.

Give the OP a break. He/she is gonna do their best to get the rule changed and I wish them the best.

ButtermilkJa-I for one certainly don't see anything wrong with your approach, nor that you are willing to challenge the rules, and that you can appreciate that not everyone may feel the same way as you.

At this stage, perhaps the best option is to allow people who have been in similar situations with management company rules the chance to comment on how they were enforced, or were they successfully challenged.

There is little to be gained from pointing out ad nauseum that 'rules are rules' etc-the OP sees this, but that doesn't mean that they are not entitled to seek opinion from other residents as to whether the rules can/should be changed.

I must come across like a spoilt brat who always gets his own way if you think that I'm just doing this so I can change the rules to suit myself. I'm sorry if that's how I'm sounding but that's not what this is all about.

All I'm trying to do is address a rule that is ridiiculous and outdated and due to the fact that many residents have dishes it is a clear signal that the rule needs to be discussed and amedned if neccessary rather than simply enforced without regard.

Guys, joking apart, I think you both need to calm down a bit.

I think the problem is the tone on both sides: it's all very well saying you don't want to come over like a spoiled brat but then you proceed to rant on about "a rule that is ridiiculous and outdated". Clearly, some people don't see it as that, and you should at least acknowledge that.

Maybe you could all just agree:

- if you sign something, you should in general stick to it
- there's no harm in seeking to have it changed
- it would be useful to hear from anyone who did get such a change

If you can't agree to that, then maybe you should just agree to disagree, rather than prolonging this?

You can get one satelite mounted on the roof and feed all appartments off that.....you should suggest this as the alternatives to satelite are absolutally substandard.....I would imagine that most of the appartments currently subscribing to Chorus would support this move. Perhaps you can use the existing chorus backbone and feed the sat signal into it.

Maybe you could all just agree:

- if you sign something, you should in general stick to it
- there's no harm in seeking to have it changed
- it would be useful to hear from anyone who did get such a change

Perfectly said... I wonder why I didn't think of that from the start ;)

But seriously, if you read my first couple of posts this is exactly the way I imagined the thread to progress. But some people are all too willing to have a go at you rather than try and help.

Ok, rant over :D

You can get one satelite mounted on the roof and feed all appartments off that.....you should suggest this as the alternatives to satelite are absolutally substandard.....I would imagine that most of the appartments currently subscribing to Chorus would support this move. Perhaps you can use the existing chorus backbone and feed the sat signal into it.
Who provides this service? Is it Sky? It's been mentioned a few times here alright and I'd be interested to find out more.

In our complex there are no satellite dishes because we get the management agent to remove them immediately. It was discussed at the AGM last year and literally only two people wanted the rule changed. I'm not obsessed with the rule...I along with the vast majority of my neighbours agree with it. A complex with a dish on every apartment looks terrible...that's why the rule is there. Laundry is the same...when it's out on balconies the place looks like a tenement.
I suggested getting a communal dish as I do not like NTL/Chorus at all. It is an inferior servive to Sky. And now with Sky+ it's getting very old school. The problem was getting enough people to agree to that.

Just read through this thread - Buttermilkja - have you talked to any of your neighbours that still have their dish on their wall? How have they dealt with it?

M

Who provides this service? Is it Sky? It's been mentioned a few times here alright and I'd be interested to find out more.

The best people to contact would be a Sky installer. I was designing an apartment block for a developer and he wanted one of these installed. Basically the signal from the dish gets split and distributed around the building accordingly. We contracted this work out to a Sky installer and the developer delt with him directly after this so I'm not sure how it finished up but the developer seemed happy enough the last time I was speaking with him. I'm not sure what deals Sky actually offer on this but I would imagine they would offer something to cover the costs given the business it would generate. Its one definite way of avoiding the "unsightly" nature of a load of dishes hanging off the side of the building. Yellow pages for the sky installers is your best bet!

Back