Food in cinemas

Surely there would be a market for an adults only cinema (and I don't mean that type!)?

A place where over 18s could go, pay decent money and enough good seelction of films (perhaps not only mainstream Hollywood ones).

I still love watching a good film, but I too don't enjoy the cinema any more.

The IFI (as Latrade already mentioned) shows unusual and quirky films and doesn't really attract any teenagers. They have a restaurant area with a very reasonably priced menu and a bar but no big counter selling pop corn, picknmix, big buckets of coke etc. I have seen people bring cartons of coffee into the cinema but I've rarely seen anyone eat in there. It's very very popular so maybe a few similar facilities would do well in other parts of the country.

I'm delighted to see this post. As a smoker I'm not allowed to smoke and I know all you non smokers will laugh at this but I actually felt sick the last time I was at the cinema. The smell of food is awful and the sight of some of the eaters of the food was enough to make me anorexic. Talk about obese!!!
I have lovely memories of Cork cinema many years ago when the only food was sweets and the air was just filled with carcinogens!!!! Cinema noir!!!!

I normally go to the very late shows on a Friday night as no one under 18 is admitted regardless of the film being shown.

I also think that food should be banned but the cinema owners would not be keen on that.

Why can people not go to the cinema and NOT eat?

After all its only 2 or 2.5hrs - its not like you'll starve during that time?

I once saw a guy eating bacon,cabbage and spuds out of a tupperware box at the cimema.

It was at the cinema in Killarney.

I'm delighted to see this post. As a smoker I'm not allowed to smoke and I know all you non smokers will laugh at this but I actually felt sick the last time I was at the cinema. The smell of food is awful and the sight of some of the eaters of the food was enough to make me anorexic. Talk about obese!!!
I have lovely memories of Cork cinema many years ago when the only food was sweets and the air was just filled with carcinogens!!!! Cinema noir!!!!

Oh God, that used to drive me mad. Smokers holding their cigarette up high between puffs, well away from their faces so that the smoke flowed directly back into the eyes of the people behind them.

Oh God, that used to drive me mad. Smokers holding their cigarette up high between puffs, well away from their faces so that the smoke flowed directly back into the eyes of the people behind them.

Ah the days!

In the back row at 11 with a single ciggie and match between us, pretending we're all grown up watching Big Trouble in Little China, then overdosing on Polo Mints on the way home for fear of mam and dad finding out.

Ah yes the good old days !
In through the window of the lady's loo in the Savoy in Waterford and then light up a constant stream of Major extra strength or No.6 at a push whilst endeavouring to catch sight of Ingrid Pitt's expansive bosom through a fog of cigarette smoke.

Back