Food in cinemas

liaconn

Just wondering if people think there should be a limit on the kind of food you should be allowed to bring into cinemas. I was at a film on Saturday night and someone beside me was eating a hamburger. The smell of onions was horrible and I heard a couple of people giving out about him on the way out.

Those Cheese nachos don't half stink like old sweaty socks....had to move seats with my son during Avatar as we were starting to get nauseous.

The munch munch munch chomp chomp chomp and bags rustling annoys me. Can people not go a couple of hours without stuffing their face.

I agree. I know for kids getting sweets and popcorn is part of the experience, but surely adults don't need to be munching and chomping and chewing and paper rustling throughout the whole film.

I agree that burgers are a bit much but the cinema wouldn't be the same without the popcorn

The munch munch munch chomp chomp chomp and bags rustling annoys me. Can people not go a couple of hours without stuffing their face.

I never really hear the food rustling or chomping noises because the sound is up so high that it covers all of that (obviously except during quiet bits - but noisy bits are more frequent imo).

I do love nachos myself :)

I hate popcorn and wouldn't be a fan of nachos. But I do love the pick and mix - great excuse to munch 20 cola bottles.

Excellent, a Letting Off Steam topic about the cinema. I have been waiting for this.

I love going to the cinema but lately the enjoyment is starting to turn to ordeal. I go to the cinema in the Mahon Point Omniplex in Cork. Its pretty new so the facilities are good. Tickets are €9 each but again, I don’t mind paying if the service is good.
However, lots of things annoy me when I go there and I don’t think this is because I am just a grumpy old man…

Teenagers go there all the time (15 – 19 years olds) and all they do is mess. Make noise, throw food and as we say in Cork “act the langer”. Why anyone would want to pay €9 and then not watch the movie is beyond me.
The staff working there are generally kids with a flashlight who have no authority to stop the racket so people just put up with it. Now I am no shrinking violet and I once poured my very large coke over the heads of two 16 years olds who wouldn’t shut up despite my warnings. But I would be slow to take on 5 or 6 of them.

People who sit behind me and put their feet on my seat really annoys me. Everytime they change position I rock back and forth. Very annoying. When you ask them to take their feet away its like you were asking them for a kidney.

I stopped going to movies there at the weekend in the afternoons because kids are just put into the cinema by parents who then go shopping. 7 or 8 pre-teens do not have the attention span to watch a movie straight through especially after drinking a gallon of coke.

Also, it can be very busy there at night and shows get sold out. Just in case I buy my ticket on line where they charge a 50 cent premium. However, I go to collect my ticket and the machines where I collect my ticket(s) are not working or are working but don’t recognise my card. This annoys me as I then have to queue at the ticket desk (can be up to 10 minutes) where I am told by an indifferent teen that “it must be your card”. I have emailed the management my complaint (twice) but I never got a reply. On top of that they charge the 50 cent premium on all tickets, not just on the booking so that is even more annoying.

Going to the cinema used to be great before it became popular L

@ The Banker

The Savoy Theatre is kicking off a film club this Thursday 28th with a screening of Blue Velvet. More info here

Given the recent demise of the Kino and the closure of the Capital a few years back it's a welcome boost to cinema going in Cork.

Now I am no shrinking violet and I once poured my very large coke over the heads of two 16 years olds who wouldn’t shut up despite my warnings. But I would be slow to take on 5 or 6 of them.

Whilst generally speaking I agree with you and do find myself getting quite annoyed by people talking etc in the cinema, I would not resort to pouring a drink over a teenager........ very childish in my opinion and if the noise was so bad I would leave and demand a refund if the management weren't prepared to do anything about the problem.

Going to the cinema used to be great before it became popular L

I go at unpopular times, saturday or sunday afternoon, immediately after work on a weeknight. I dont like going at the peak times because of the crowds and endless queuing for tickets (even at the CC machines), food/drinks, the queue to get in, queue for the loo etc....

Whilst generally speaking I agree with you and do find myself getting quite annoyed by people talking etc in the cinema, I would not resort to pouring a drink over a teenager........ very childish in my opinion and if the noise was so bad I would leave and demand a refund if the management weren't prepared to do anything about the problem.

Your right. It was a terrible waste of a good drink at cinema prices!!!

But seriously I have done what you suggest in the past and all it would result in, is me missing some of the movie by going outside, getting some teen with a torch to come in, shine it on them for 10 seconds and once the teen with the torch leaves it all starts again. Followed by gloating from the said teens in my direction.

No, pouring the coke over their two heads gave me immence joy and a few people in the vicinity even applauded. They left threatening to bring there father back to 'sort me out' but needless to say, I never saw them again.
A small victory for the embattled cinema goer.

The answer is the IFI (no connection, just a fan).

Great setting, great movies, great staff. All this and only decent human adults watching so it's nice and quiet and respectful.

Ok they don't have the gimicks of 3D and supersized lazy boy seats, but they do have great festivals and themes running.

For film buffs they also have Q&A sessions with various people after a showing.

I still go the local cinema, but tend to shell out for the VIP room which is small, roomy and you don't get kids. Occasionally I have to sit in with the proles and always promise myself never again. Sticky carpets, popcorn everywhere, noise and my biggest bug: late comers. How hard is it to use that invention known as the watch?

I was in the cinema (Waterford) one night and somebody in afew rows in front of me took out a HAM SANDWICH wrapped in tin foil.. made so much noise wrapping and unwrapping the foil.
It also really irrates me when people behind me start sticking their knees or their feet into the back of my seat!!

I agree. I know for kids getting sweets and popcorn is part of the experience, but surely adults don't need to be munching and chomping and chewing and paper rustling throughout the whole film.

Of course they have to eat constantly....it stops them from using their mobile phones (my personal pet peeve!).

Rarely go to the cinema for most of the reasons already mentioned - and sad to say, it doesn't just happen in Ireland. Went to the cinema in Jersey last summer, had the usual grazing, noisy, messing teenagers behind me, and a person in front of me who decided she'd see more by standing up.......

I have complained about kids messing a few times - they were thrown out every time. I warned them to 'sit down and shut up or I'd get them thrown out' , they didn't, so got them thrown out. It was straightforward - I assumed most cinemas would react similarly but maybe not.

Laughing at some of the cheeky stories. Brought my little niece to see Charlottes web and we had a few sweets, etc. Halfway through, child had to go to the loo and I had to go with her. I asked her if she would remember where we were sitting and she said yes.

Came back, found seats all well. Then I see a woman and another child wandering up and down like lost sheep, obviously eejits who cant remember where they were sitting.

Turned out we had come back from the loo and took their seats and not known any different. Not only that but Katie had eaten all the child's popcorn and sweets. We had to apologise and move back to our own seats. I said, katie, you will have to give that little girl your sweets, seeing as you have eaten all hers. Katie thought about it for a minute and then said - no.

It was priceless.

Back