First Active e-savings account

I thought that too on initially reading it but I don't think it applies to the eSavings account. There's a bit in parenthesis that says it is only for Instant Access Savings accounts which the eSavings account isn't - although you can withdraw your funds when you want to a nominated account..

Our posts crossed.

Hey GeneralZod,

charges for the AIB feeder account, since when and how much? I was not aware of that...
I also have a feeder account, as I gave up my AIB current account. Have not seen charges on my balance yet, or I might have overlooked something. Have to check that out. Thanks, Fanny

"Especially since AIB started applying charges on my AIB feeder account.
In general it's an unwelcome complication.

Got the FA charges booklet in the post this morning but it doesn't really clarify what, if any, charges apply to the e-Savings account.

charges for the AIB feeder account, since when and how much? I was not aware of that...
I also have a feeder account, as I gave up my AIB current account. Have not seen charges on my balance yet, or I might have overlooked something. Have to check that out.

On June 18th I was charged €1.40 for the quarter to 25-May. The previous quarter the charge was €0.80 but was refunded automatically.
I haven't written to them yet to get a refund. It's the principle of the thing.

€0.55 stamp to get a €1.40 or €0.80 refund seems a bit pointless? Unless you emailed? ;)

Got the FA charges booklet in the post this morning but it doesn't really clarify what, if any, charges apply to the e-Savings account.
Sorry - my mistake. The booklet clearly states (red highlighting is mine):
Account maintenance charge (per quarter)

A fee per quarter is applicable. €6.35

(Instant Access Plus Account only)

and is the esavings account the same thing as an instant access plus account? they've really tried to make it complicated! but from previous posts no wonder the staff are confused?

and is the esavings account the same thing as an instant access plus account?
Not as far as I can see. Note that "Instant Access Plus" is the name of an account and not a category of account. I presume that "eSavings" is a completely different account even if the money is instant access.
but from previous posts no wonder the staff are confused?
I'm going by their printed booklets and not what staff are telling me.

sorry clubman so do i have to pay 6.35 a quarter for the eSaving account! i'm having one of those days!! I really need it to be a saturday

Got the following back from somebody in the Phibsboro branch:
I have just spoken to somebody in our Head Office who has told me that there are no charges on this e-saver account.
In terms of lodgements, you can set up the account to make regular weekly, monthly, quarterly etc payments. If you are a First Active customer, you can make non regular savings payments to the account at any time by transferring money from your other First Active accounts into the eSaver. However if your other accounts are non First Active, then unfortunately this option is not available to you.
Good news - no charges.

Bad news - if you don't operate a FA feeder account then you cannot make sporadic lodgements from an external account after the initial opening lodgement.

Got the following back from somebody in the Phibsboro branch:

Good news - no charges.

Bad news - if you don't operate a FA feeder account then you cannot make sporadic lodgements from an external account after the initial opening lodgement.

Hmm. Their[broken link removed] says you can transfer from any nominated current account.

"Transfer money instantly to and from your First Active accounts."
"Transfer money from any nominated current account." (emphasis theirs)

This is all getting a bit confusing ... however, the T&C's are still wide open.

In relation to the response as quoted by Clubman, here is the section they are referring to:

43.5 Lodgments can be made by transfer from any First Active account in one or more of the
Account holder's name(s) or by regular Standing Order from any bank account in the
Republic of Ireland. Lodgments can not be made by any other method. The maximum
amount which can be lodged to an Account is €1,000,000.

No mention of account setup with regard to weekly/monthly/quarterly payments. They only thing they are saying is that you can only lodge money via Standing Order. Plus, no limits on regular payments (apart from initial lodgement restrictions €1 / €1m.) A quarterly payment of €1 should get around things ....

So for those of us interested in using this as a lump sum deposit (similar to Rabo), it still seems to fit the bill - provided you open the account with your lump sum via cheque ?

Regarding the further lodgements, what happense if you transfer funds using online banking to that sort code and account number? Wonder will they seriously not accept them? Have my doubts...

I'm relying on that as I've already sent off my €50 initial lodgement cheque. I wouldn't want to have a cheque for €15k sitting around for who knows how long before they lodge it. Phibsboro branch do seem to be contradicting 43.5 in their reply to clubman.

On the plus side I think we've finally got a straight answer on the periodic charges.

Yeah - I'm also dubious about not being able, for example, to open with €1 and subsequently lodge €14,999 from a non FA account to be honest. I've asked again for clarification. And also clarification on if €20K means €15K @ 5.22% and €5K @ 4.07% and not €20K @ 4.07% for example.

It's a pity that they weren't simply clearer on their website about the account details in the first place ... :(

Back