First Active e-savings account

Yyeesssss...

But the terms and conditions lists "additional terms and conditions" for their e-saver account: in addition to what?

Maybe I'll just give them a ring!

• Get direct access to your account 24 hours a day.
  • Transfer money instantly to and from your First Active accounts.
The other terms & conditions are available in PDF format from the e-Saver web page. Unfortunately (as mentioned earlier) the FA account charges booklet is not and it's not 100% clear whether or not any charges (in particular the €6.35 per quarter maintenance fee) apply to this account.

Can't find the charges booklet online even after doing a Google site specific search of FA's website. I've emailed my local branch asking for a copy and will pick one up in the meantime if I'm passing. I received the completed online form today and they include the terms & conditions booklet but not the charges one. Poor form not to clarify to a new applicant what charges might apply. :(
Whatever about not putting the booklet on their website at least FA (Phibsboro branch) responded promptly to my email and stuck a booklet in the post for me. A lot better than many organisations that I have had cause to email some of which respond a lot more slowly and sometimes not at all (e.g. most recently the EBS who I have emailed via their website three times now asking for a regular saver account application form and who have not responded to these requests or a complaint that I logged subsequently).

Did anyone get their forms yet? Applied online last Thursday and wondering how long it takes. Also what were you asked to send in in terms of ID for money laundering regs.

Yes, have the forms a couple of days now - do have an account with FA already, so annoying that they're looking for the money laundering documents again, but thats beyond their control.

Cant confirm the €6.50 charge, sounds unusual though and don't really believe it!

Forms going in tomorrow, so lets see how we go...

so annoying that they're looking for the money laundering documents again, but thats beyond their control.
No it's not - if you are an existing customer whose identity/address has already been verified and that information is already on file then they should not be looking for it again. I thought that existing FA customers could do the whole application process online?
Cant confirm the €6.50 charge, sounds unusual though and don't really believe it!
Will post back when I get more info.

Got the forms today. They didn't ask for any anti money laundering documentation. I assume this is because they're part of RBS and I've already an account with UB.

I rang them up to ask about the acceptable ways of making lodgements and the €6.50 charge.

She said there is no €6.50 per quarter charge. She also didn't know that you could make the initial lodgement by cheque. It was embarrassing, I knew more about the account than she did. They really should train their staff properly before introducing new products.

No it's not - if you are an existing customer whose identity/address has already been verified and that information is already on file then they should not be looking for it again. I thought that existing FA customers could do the whole application process online?

There's my answer - I have changed my address so they're looking for address verification, fair enough.

Phibsboro branch also thought that there was no quarterly maintenance charge but were not sure!

so are we sure yet or unsure of quarterly charge he he he its so confusing at this rate! :)

So if you leave the interest payments in they'll be on 4.07%.
Not necessarily. That's the way Rabo originally phrased the description of their account in spite of the fact that it actually turned out that it was 5% on balances up to €10K and then 3.75% on anything above that (i.e. you still got 5% on €10K even if you have more than that lodged - and 3.75% just on the balance above €10K). I wonder if it is the same here? Rabo subsequently clarified the facts on their website.

The phrasing on First Active's web-site is ambiguous, that's why I'm wondering. Does "balances between" refer to the whole balance, or the balance (excess) over €15,000?

I've been assuming the banded approach of 5.22% up to 15k and 4.07% on any amounts above 15k.

It would be sneeky of them to drop you down to 4.07% on the whole amount if you go above 15k.
Shouldn't put it past them though...

When I opened an Irish Nationwide FlexiSaver 21 I was explicitly warned that if my balance went over €75,000, the whole amount would attract a lower interest rate. Slightly different from FA, as €75,000 is the advertised maximum for the IN account (In another parallel, some of IN's general literature mentions an account maintenance fee on savings accounts, which it turns out doesn't apply to the FlexiSaver account.).

As an example of good behaviour from a Bank I've got an N.I.B ECB tracker series I account with max total lodgements of €50k. They are giving the full interest 5% on that plus the subsequent interest payment that takes it over 50k.

just received my pack to open this account, reading the terms and I have to agree for an atm card for this account (which will be liable for the 10 euro government levy) this is a bit of a bummer as its an online account so i just wanted to use it as such. Already pay 40 for credit card, 20 for my laser card and 20 for joint laser card ! i really hate feeling screwed!

scrub that see in brackets for instant access savings only ! coffee hasn't hit the veins yet! :)

Back