Fianna Fail at it Again

belview

You might expect after all thats happened that Fianna Fail would try to put the country first for a change.

However, listening to Brian Lenihan speaking on RTE Radio this morning about the viability of the Croke Park Agreement he said that it would remain in place and be reviewed in a years time.

Looks very much like they want to keep the public service voters on side for the inevitable general election after christmas.

How can you cut social welfare payments and at the same time leave public service pay untouched

Stroke politics lives on!!!!

Looks very much like they want to keep the public service voters on side for the inevitable general election after christmas.

This statement is comical and if the situation of where we are wasnt as serious as it is i'd be laughing at you and asking are you for real ?

Public Sector workers have been hit by pay cuts, pension levies and other income levies, along with redundancies, job losses (contracts not renewed), as well as a moratorium on recruitment and promotion and you believe they will vote to keep this shower of wasters (FF & Greens) in power ?

You might expect after all thats happened that Fianna Fail would try to put the country first for a change.

However, listening to Brian Lenihan speaking on RTE Radio this morning about the viability of the Croke Park Agreement he said that it would remain in place and be reviewed in a years time.

How can you cut social welfare payments and at the same time leave public service pay untouched

Public servants have suffered an average of 14% pay cuts plus the income levies, whilst basic social welfare and state pension have not been reduced at all. In "fairness", the government did cut disability social welfare.

Many public servants will not vote for FF again. No one expects the Croke Park deal to survive after the next election. There will be more public service pay and new pension cuts. But there is a strong FF DNA in this country and it would not surprise me to see them in the mix for the next coalition government. Slim

Last edited:

Your a gas man! Would it not have made more sense to look after the 450000 unemployed people than the 300000 public sector workers if all they were interested in was vote counting? And if the IMF werent happy with the Cpa that it would also be gone?

Given Lenihan's track record on predictions, the very fact he has said PS pay will not be cut further, should be taken as evidence that PS pay will definitely be cut.

They are kicking it to touch until next year when this government is history.

Given Lenihan's track record on predictions, the very fact he has said PS pay will not be cut further, should be taken as evidence that PS pay will definitely be cut.

They are kicking it to touch until next year when this government is history.

My point exactly

Anyway we will all get our chance to pass judgement in late January

Public servants are part of the problem. Too many of them and they cost too much. This cannot continue.

Compulsory redundancies or an immediate 25% cut in pay and pensions bill will help our economy right now.

Sticking our heads in the sands won't resolve this problem. We are moving to a situation where there will be no money to pay them. The cheques will bounce !

Thank God we have an IMF to save us.

Public servants are part of the problem. Too many of them and they cost too much. This cannot continue.

Compulsory redundancies or an immediate 25% cut in pay and pensions bill will help our economy right now.

Sticking our heads in the sands won't resolve this problem. We are moving to a situation where there will be no money to pay them. The cheques will bounce !

Everything I've read in the newspapers over recent days indicates that the IMF have scrutinised the Governments 4 year plan and have agreed that the Croke Park agreement is workable and should be honoured.

Even the Indo has given up on bringing down the agreement and stated on the front page yesterday that PS pay would not be cut in the forthcoming budget.

Everything I've read in the newspapers over recent days indicates that the IMF have scrutinised the Governments 4 year plan and have agreed that the Croke Park agreement is workable and should be honoured.

Even the Indo has given up on bringing down the agreement and stated on the front page yesterday that PS pay would not be cut in the forthcoming budget.

Unfortunately I have to say that this looks to be the case

Why is it that people are constantly so anti public servants???:mad: We have taken pay cuts and will be taking more when the budget comes out. You would think we were the cause of all the misfortune that has befallen Ireland. It's all over the papers and this website also. It's always the PAYE the easy targets for all. Social welfare here is excessive and it's about time it was cut. As should the pay of Judges and all others who havn't been cut.

I believe there is something in law or the constitution or something like that, that pay cuts cannot be forced on judges, although they can volunteer pay cuts themselves. Maybe someone can confirm that?

Yeah but the IMF are only in the door. Not hard for FF to pull the wool over the eyes on this great reform agreement. Once they start investigating, they will find all the waste.

Public servants have suffered an average of 14% pay cuts plus the income levies, whilst basic social welfare and state pension have not been reduced at all. In "fairness", the government did cut disability social welfare.

Many public servants will not vote for FF again. No one expects the Croke Park deal to survive after the next election. There will be more public service pay and new pension cuts. But there is a strong FF DNA in this country and it would not surprise me to see them in the mix for the next coalition government. Slim

The usual basic social welfare payments were all cut by around 4.5% in last years budget.

Yeah but the IMF are only in the door. Not hard for FF to pull the wool over the eyes on this great reform agreement. Once they start investigating, they will find all the waste.

The IMF/EU have been directing our budgetary strategy for months.

Why is it that people are constantly so anti public servants???:mad: We have taken pay cuts and will be taking more when the budget comes out. You would think we were the cause of all the misfortune that has befallen Ireland.
Most people aren't anti-public servants per se. It's just that the public sector pay bill is so huge and has been wildly inflated over recent years because we thought we were a rich country. The pay bill has to come down, it hasn't come down enough and there seems to be a feeling of 'we've taken cuts, why should we take more'? The why is because the country can't afford to pay what it currently pays. End of.

If a public servant was on 40K and is now on 35K - if the job is only worth 30K, then the job is only worth 30K. Sorry that you were disillusioned during the boomtime into thinking your job was worth 40K - have a look at what your equivalent would be on in the UK - pay scales are on line - even allowing for any cost of living differences, pay scales here are still too high.

And I agree with you on social welfare (incl pensions) - same thing - rates went up in the boomtime and they have to come back now - I don't appreciate the reluctance to reduce something that should never have been increased in the first place.

I could not agree more. I hope the IMF can do what our own government hadn't the courage to. It would be an awful injustice to cut welfare rates while leaving the clearly bloated and overpaid public service alone.

Back