Family Car Options for 2006

ribena said:
I think I'll be going to look at a C4 at lunchtime reading this post! I have a Golf Comfort which I have to say has all those gadgets as well but it's too small for baby seats. The inside page of 'What Car Guide' recommends the C4 which is good enough for me.

Ribena,

I think you'll be in for a dissapointment - the C4 is certainly smaller inside than a mark V golf - I find it hard to believe you can't get a car seat into a golf!

I also found the golf to be a more enjoyable drive, the base spec of the C4 is certainly better than the golf but I certainly wouldn't buy one in preference to a golf.

Resale value on a C4 is also likely to be poor - if it was my money I'd go for a golf, focus or astra over a C4.

Regarding engine size - the 1.4 in most cars in this class is fine for city driving , for longer trips I'd prefer a 1.6

M

My understanding was that the Golf model closest to the C4sx was about 3 grand dearer? Also that it has 75bhp versus the C4's 90bhp - would this make a difference?

I have to say MM3, I drove a C4 at lunchtime today and really really liked it. It was a 1.4 SX model and is just so cheap, so gadgety, so me! I love gadgets and I'm absolutely sick of VW being so tight with what they offer.

Carpenter, I'm going to drive the Astra this evening on my way home and I'll give my opinion later! The C4 definitely did it for me anyway. Have you thought about a Corolla? I had hoped to drive one of them at lunchtime today also but spent a whole 50 minutes with Citroen!

True for you podgerodge, I'm fed up of being ripped off with the Golf. The 1.4 Golf Comfort is €2k dearer than the 1.4 C4 SX and there is an offer with the C4 whereby they will pay your VAT but it really only is of benefit to someone who isn't trading in.

ribena said:
I have to say MM3, I drove a C4 at lunchtime today and really really liked it. It was a 1.4 SX model and is just so cheap, so gadgety, so me! I love gadgets and I'm absolutely sick of VW being so tight with what they offer.

Well we are all individuals so if it makes you happy go for it :) However the day you buy is the day you sell , I think you'll find the golf a lot easier to sell in a few years time than the C4.

M

Ok interesting feedback everybody! I've done a comparison on the Golf also: to add on the extra equipment that comes as standard on the C4 SX you'd need to put down another €2000 or so. I don't like the look of the new Golf either; two of our foreman drive Golfs as company vehicles and whilst they're a great car to drive they're not overly enthusiastic about build quality. The plastic interior is flimsy and easily broken, or so I'm told. Depreciation is a worry with the Citroen alright but how do Astras fare on this front either?

They do a bit better.

The Golf's entire reputation is based on high build quality, so if that doesn't work for you I fear for your future in a Citroen.

RS2K said:
The Golf's entire reputation is based on high build quality, so if that doesn't work for you I fear for your future in a Citroen.

Do you have personal experience of Citroen's current build quality or just a love of Golf's?!

Autoexpress's roadtest says that "whatever your preference the C4 certainly looks special. Inside it's similarly impressive, the build quality is leagues ahead of its predecessor"
[broken link removed]

Or you could listen to the Channel 4 Road test who said "There's a convincing feeling of quality here, with more soft-touch surfaces than you'll find in the latest Focus or Golf and an air of substance and solidity"
http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-tests/C/citroen/c405-/c405--relqual.html

Of course, I'm biased!

Beware only using new car reviews - consider reviews of used cars also.

French & Italian cars have a impressive record in the car of the year awards because when they are new they are excellent cars. They are very well specced, usually look stylish, are competitive pricewise and drive nicely.

BUT...over time they WILL depreciate more than other marques. They WILL be more unreliable in general - of course you could be lucky and get a good one which will be great, but the odd's are stacked against that.

In general, the more electrical type things that are involved then the more there will be to go wrong. Of course none of this may go wrong for a good few years - but once it starts then there is no telling where it will end. I previously drove a citroen and speak from experience.

As for a sudden leap forward in build quality - it does not happen like that. Build Quality is based on a culture and a way of doing things. It takes a long long time to instil that in a manufacturing process. If it could be done quickly then everyone would just copy Toyota and all cars would be super reliable.

Whether or not to buy the citroen is a tough one. The C4 is a pretty car and has lots going for it. If you buy a new one, the only way you will get a good price when you go to sell again will be at another citroen dealers.
Ideally you buy an older one and avoid the worst of the depreciation in years 1+2. However then you have the catch 22 of the older the car gets the more likely you get reliability problems.

Still it is your call and you got to weigh up the pro's & con's for yourself.

podgerodge said:
Do you have personal experience of Citroen's current build quality or just a love of Golf's?!

Autoexpress's roadtest says that "whatever your preference the C4 certainly looks special. Inside it's similarly impressive, the build quality is leagues ahead of its predecessor"
[broken link removed]

Or you could listen to the Channel 4 Road test who said "There's a convincing feeling of quality here, with more soft-touch surfaces than you'll find in the latest Focus or Golf and an air of substance and solidity"
http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-tests/C/citroen/c405-/c405--relqual.html

Of course, I'm biased!
Not interested in getting into an argument, but I'm as entitled as you are to my opinion.

Whatever way you look at it the market know's what's going on. Citroens (especially big ones) suffer from much heavier than average depreciation.

I think the C4 (terrible to have a car named after an explosive) looks fine, and take your word for the improved build quality and equipment.

The trade doesn't want to know about early used C4's however.

I've never owned a Golf, but you have to admire their abilty to retain value.

Nobody will ever admit they've bought a lemon, or a citron to those French speakers amongst us :D

p.s. The heavy discounting that Citroen dealers offer is not charitable. They have to.

Ok folks, I've made up my mind (sort of!);) I'm going for the Astra- now I just need to decide on the SXi or the Design. I'm putting down my money tomorrow at 3. I'm getting a fair trade in on the old Pug and the Astra was my first choice before I'd started to seriously look at the options. Thanks for all the feedback; like a lot of things the advent of the internet (especially when you have a Broadband connection- even if it is with BT) has been a fantastic asset in helping to inform my decision. So here's hoping I'll be driving around in a nice new motor in a few weeks time! Now where did I put those instructions for fitting that baby seat...That reminds me I'll need another one of those as well:)

Carpenter

Astra is a nice car to drive , certainly the equal of the golf (the flick on indicator switch is a pain though) - I would be concerned about the resale value, better than a C4 but weaker than a Golf. Just to throw another car into the mix , I was in a honda dealer yesterday and had a look at the new civic , styling might not be to everyones taste but I'd say its certainly worth a look - should be very reliable and have good resale (and for Ribena a very funky interior). Also its got a big boot for a small car which seems to be a requirement for you.

BTW just to give you an idea on the resale value of a golf , we are currently changing my wifes car (2 year old mk v sportline) and we are being offered around the 18500 mark on trade in (best offer so far is 19K , worst 18K) - the car cost about 23K new.

M

I hated MPVs ... I just couldn't see the point ... until I got one last year. It's a corolla verso and it's fab. Previously I had my hubbies CRV ... which I hated, a V40 and a Saab 93 none of which stood up to the wear and tear of two kids. The toyota is the best built car in the world ... no flimsy breaky off stuff ... big doors mean getting kids in an out is no problem ... extra seats mean you can bring the kids friends safely ... I don't really agree with children squashed into seats with no seatbelt. I have the rear seats folded down in the car which makes the boot huge but it's good to have them as an option when you need them ... which as your children get older will become more frequent. The other thing I like about a 7 seater is that if you are travelling a distance alone with children and they are killing each other ... you can relegate them to the back seats ... or put one in each row.

I would agree with the practicalities of the Verso, Zafira, etc. They're even quite attractive cars compared to earlier incarnations. However, does anyone share my concerns over the safety of children (or adults) in the rearmost seats. Aren't these seats directly against the back door, ie, no crumple zone as per normal saloon/hatchback?

I'm not advocating carrying children without the proper seats & restraints
either, just making an observation.

Any thoughts?

Carpenter said:
OK, I haven't ruled out the Astra; I don't like either the Golf or the Focus. Now how about engine size. Given that we're making a significant jump (for us) should I really be looking at a 1.6 given the size of these cars. I don't want to spend nearly €25k on a new car only to find it underpowered- would i be better off biting the bullet and going for a 1.6- any thoughts?

Would ye be prepared to buy in The North ?

If so, take yourself off to Vauxhall.co.uk and see whats on offer in second hand preregistered

IIRC a mid '05 Astra CDTI ( 100ps ) in SXI trim would be GBP10k ( + or - ) call it 15k euros & the VRT would be another 5k ish.

The Club & Life trims would be less of course

edit : Oooops didnt see your post that you had ordered an SXI before I posted this

Back