Family Car Options for 2006

Carpenter

Hi everyone, I'm looking for advice on trading up to a 04/ 05 car in the next couple of months. We'll be trading in my wife's 01 Peugeot 206 for something a little bigger and more suited to our needs. We're thinking about another hatchback with plenty of room for two child seats in the rear and a large boot. The options (as we see it) are a Peugeot 307, Opel Astra or Toyota Corolla. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Toyota Corolla Verso is considered the best family option out of all categories and in black looks pretty good to me.

If you're using all the seats not much room in the boot in the verso.

Try the Skoda Octavia it has huge boot in it plus plenty of room in the back for the child seats.

I don't like the Verso- it's more a an MPV isn't it? I don't think 2 small kids justifies an MPV? I like the Octavia, you could fit a dead body or two in the boot but I think it's probably too big for our needs (no dead body jokes here please, Clubman!). We won't be stretching to a diesel- our annual mileage wouldn't justify the expense. Any other suggestions?

5 Door Civic has huge amount of space. Not mad about the look of it myself but it will be bulletproof for reliability and it drives fairly well.
IMHO Focus is the best small hatchback. Golf is good also but expect to pay a premium for the badge.

Of the 3 you mention, corlla is the best. Astra is not a bad car but is not as good as some of the others in the class. Peugeot too inconsistent in terms of reliability for me.

One last thought is the Seat Altea (golf with Seat badges). Fairly stylish though probably not that many of them around.

Carpenter said:
I don't think 2 small kids justifies an MPV?

Carpenter, I think with all the extra stuff ye need to bring with ye for one child, never mind two would justify an MPV! For Christmas we found that we could barely fit in what we needed to our hatchback and we have just one little tot (the pram and travel cot alone nearly filled the boot) and if ye have two kids sure that's most of the back seat in any car taken up with the two car seats, leaving just the boot for everything else! Personally I would look at MPV's - plan for when you're going on holidays and think of all the luggage you will be bringing and if ye think ye can fit it into a boot then fair enough, but if not then I'd look at getting something that will fit all this.

When it comes to family motoring I cannot recommend the Octavia highly enough. It is sold at a price which undercuts the segment it is in while offering better space. My wife drives ours as her run about and never has any trouble with it. It has great access and allows all passangers ample room for comfort.

Having said that there is one problem we have with the car. I'm only 5"11 and my 2.5 year old child cannot sit in his child seat behind me when I'm driving our 99 Octavia. He ends up with his legs scrunched up.

The model introduced in 05 has much better leg room in the back and so I would recommend it over the 99 - 05 version.

My car is a Superb. It has limo like rear room. My wife can even comfortable sit in between the two child seats, in comfort, as we drive along.

I would not dismiss the Octavia as an option so quickly

Thanks Soy and Ceist Beag. I still don't know about an MPV- God knows I've been giving out for years about those "yuummy mummies" who nearly run me down each morning as I walk to work. I know if we did go for one that we'd have no problem filling it with stuff, as it is we could probably fill a small bus! Hovever I'm not sure we really NEED an MPV type vehicle- however I'll keep it under consideration. Anyone other two children families out there who have any thoughts on this?

OK JDF, the Octavia is certainly on the list. My neighbour bought one last year and gave me a short test drive in it and I was very impresssed with it. Is your's a diesel or petrol?

I drive a Lexus IS200 and find it a superb trouble free car. Plenty of room in the back for kids and a big boot. 2 litre engine might put some people off though. I bought a 2001 model with low milage for value. I would never buy a new car, might as well burn your money.

I would agree that the Skoda Octavia is a great option. Super car for the money.

A Lexus no less! Jaysus I don't want the neighbours thinking I won the lotto. No feck it I think I'll go for a Maybach, I believe they make a fine BIG car!:D

Carpenter said:
A Lexus no less! Jaysus I don't want the neighbours thinking I won the lotto. No feck it I think I'll go for a Maybach, I believe they make a fine BIG car!:D

Not as dear as you think. I got a 2001 IS model with 25K miles on the clock for €20,000. I have it a year now and not a problem to be had. I bought it purely for the legendry reliabilty and plan to drive it for at least another 5-6 years...maybe more...It really is a fantastic car to drive as well...really smooth and comfortable.

I was never one for MPV's but friends of mine had a Citroen Picasso and boy it was a pleasure to be a passenger in. It makes so much sense when you have a buggy and in your case Carpenter, you will more than likely have a twin buggy or a buggy & stroller, plus you'll have shopping and luggage at some stage. The amount of space in the back of that car is fantastic. It's no joke putting a child in to a car seat so you may as well have as much room as possible. They aren't expensive cars either. P.S. Congrats on No. 2!

Mini mpv's....

Scenic is popular, but not reliable enough. Renault make safer cars these days I think.

Zafira has 7 seats, but no boot if you use them. Clever though.

Picasso is cheap, but brittle. An older design but still capable.

C-Max is my favourite I think. Well built and the best of all of them to drive.

Diesel power is increasingly popular in this market segment and for good reason.

Just my 2p worth.

Congratulations on number two, Carpenter, whens the happy day?

Have you thought about an estate? We have a V40 which is very handy, if I were thinking about a new secondhand car I'd go for another estate again- but a neat one like the V40, or the new peugeot estate- think its a lovely looking car.

..we have a Mazda 6 1.8 which is great for ferrying the wife and child plus shopping, carry cots,prams etc..it may be hard to get one 2nd hand though...d

hi carpenter. i have no info on cars sry. i have a 206 and am tinking of getting a newer one? can u tell me about your wifes or are u planning to trade it in when u get ur new car? tanx

Carpenter - agree with you on the MPVs - even if I had 10 kids I think that I would refuse to get one...............bit silly mayb but i just have a thing against them...........especially when you see the yummy mummy, sunglasses on head on rainy day with one kid in back & taking up whole road!!

Agree with previous posts on Skoda........parents got one recently....loads of room & v reasonably priced.

Or mayb you need a Hummer..........hard to fit 2 kids into a car you know!!

Winnie said:
Carpenter - agree with you on the MPVs - even if I had 10 kids I think that I would refuse to get one...............bit silly mayb but i just have a thing against them...........especially when you see the yummy mummy, sunglasses on head on rainy day with one kid in back & taking up whole road!!

Agree with previous posts on Skoda........parents got one recently....loads of room & v reasonably priced.

Or mayb you need a Hummer..........hard to fit 2 kids into a car you know!!

Actually I'm thinking maybe a Hummer with Crew Cab! Maybe I could, like "pimp my ride" with some "Baby on board" or some "Cheeky monkey on Board" stickers, you know wat I'm sayin'? Maybe get me some tunes, like "Bear in da Big Blue House" or "Yo Humpty Dumpty, watzup?". Them we get some drink dispensers for like the "Crystal" and the "Organic Soya Milk". Hey this baby thing is so complicated......:D

Back