Enniscorthy

el2

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who lives in/recently moved to Enniscorthy. We are thinking of buying a house there and have looked at a few properties. What are the local facilities like such as schools, toddler groups, clubs etc? We moved back to Ireland 3 years ago after living abroad for some years and unfortunately did not pick a very nice place to live so we are desperate to move somewhere in the south east that will be good for our two young children and us. I would love to hear any comments both negative and positive. We think the town looks really nice and it seems to be getting a lot of development so are keen but obviously need to do our homework. Thanks.

Re: Moving to Enniscorthy

There's some information on crime here and if you check through the local papers you'll get an idea of what it's like in the area.

I don't live in Enniscorthy, but have heard from people who live there that there is high unemployment, a lot of crime and anti-social behaviour.

Check it out very carefully before you decide to make the move.

Thanks for that delgirl. My hubbie heard a similar opinion today which is such a pity as there are some lovely house for sale on the outskirts of the town. Maybe we should look to go further towards New Ross. I would like to be near big town amenities but obviously have to consider schools etc. Anti-social behaviour is so difficult to avoid isn't it?

I grew up in New Ross and my parents still live there. I left in 1991.

New Ross is near Waterford [15 miles - good road] but the traffic at the bridge entering New Ross is pretty bad. A second bridge will be erected and will connect with the Wexford road but expect a few years for this to happen.

A Tesco has recently opened there and there are is a Super Valu. Some nice pubs. Not too much in the way of restaurants - one Indian, Chinese and Italian. A few more takeaways too. No cinema but St Michael's Theatre shows films at weekends.

Is quite near beaches - Duncannon, Fethard, Carnivan, Dollar Bay - 35 / 40 mins drive.

Town can be quite rough with quite a bit of anti-social behaviour. No worse than when I was growing up.

A lot of people working in Waterford have bought houses there.

Thanks for your response - we are now looking nearer to Wexford. We hope to find somewhere nice soon.

I do hope you find somewhere nice. I returned after years abroad and ended up buying just outside Wexford. One of the reasons for selling was anti-social behaviour. There are some fine areas in Wexford county but do your research well. Don't buy on impulse and definitely don't be afraid to ask local people about the area.

I am considering leaving Ireland again because of the anti-social behaviour and seemingly acceptable levels of crime.

Hi Askor
Are you selling at the moment due to anti-social behaviour? Would you mind listing some nice areas for me? I have to say on the anti-social behavior issue, it just astounds me how acceptable it has become to behave outrageously on a night out or whatever. I live in a small village at the moment and it becomes an absolute dive on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. I am sick to death of people throwing their empty cans of larger outside my house and having to put up with drunken drivers on our street - our cars have been damaged 3 times to the tune of nearly E1000. There's no Gardai for miles and it just seems to be a free for all. Anyway that's another days' topic. It would really help if you could mention a few decent areas. Thanks.

Hi El,
It's tricky trying to list some nice areas. I knew beforehand that some towns and villages had "issues" so I decided to be smart and buy in a secluded area in the country, off the beaten track (literally i.e. no paved road). Unfortunately, drug/drink users used the lane up by my house at night and they caused vandalism to the front of my property. It was the sons and daughters of some of the locals that caused this havoc on a regular basis. However, the other locals were fantastic and were great neighbours. So there's the quandary.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to do the "trail and error" approach in finding a home. You will have the same type of anti-social and criminal problems in most towns and villages in Ireland but I believe that it this caused by a very small minority (who are ignored for the most part by the authorities).

I can only advise you to scout around in the areas that you find attractive. Shopkeepers might not give you the full picture on the area so the more locals that you can ask, the better. Buy the local newspaper and do a search on the web for news reports. And post on here about a particular area that you are interested in. You got a candid and accurate response to your Enniscorthy query. I’ve heard some horror stories about the place …. even though it is in an idyllic setting. The same goes for New Ross.

Sorry for the long-winded reply but I’m sure you’ll find a nice home with adequate research. I am going to give Ireland one more try before emigrating again, but I believe it’s worth the effort.

Thanks very much for your response. Best of luck with your house hunting and I'll definately be doing a lot of research this time round.

I have family connections in Enniscorthy, know quite a number of people living there, and visit the town several times every year. It is a very nice town in a lovely part of the country. This is the first I have heard of any particular crime problem, or anti-social behaviour issues, in the town. Do your own research before making your mind up on the place and don't make decisions based on the anonymous hearsay you read here (including my own tuppence-worth)

I have family connections in Enniscorthy, know quite a number of people living there, and visit the town several times every year. It is a very nice town in a lovely part of the country. This is the first I have heard of any particular crime problem, or anti-social behaviour issues, in the town. Do your own research before making your mind up on the place and don't make decisions based on the anonymous hearsay you read here (including my own tuppence-worth)

You're kidding about not hearing about any trouble in Enniscorthy, aren't you?
"Anonymous hearsay". Yikes. How else are we suppose to partake in a discussion? We are all anonymous.
The advice I gave was to do their own research before deciding on a location.

By the way, on my first search of the local newspaper (http://www.unison.ie/enniscorthy_echo/), here are the first 2 headlines:

Weekend Burglaries
16th Aug: Gardaí are investigating a number of burglaries which took place across the town at the weekend.

Vandal horror
16th Aug: A WAVE of wanton damage is being visited on a weekly basis on the prestigious National 1798 Interpretative Centre in Enniscorthy by fuelled-up vandals.

I also found this quote on another location thread from yesterday:
Navan is a kip. A dirty, ugly, congested town with bad roads in all directions, and no rail services. Avoid at all costs.

That comment really goes against the grain of what you just said.

You're kidding about not hearing about any trouble in Enniscorthy, aren't you? .
No, actually. In my own experience, Enniscorthy is no worse than any other similar town that I know. I would count it a lot better than some others.

"Anonymous hearsay". Yikes. How else are we suppose to partake in a discussion? We are all anonymous.
Indeed. That is why I said "Do your own research before making your mind " and presumably why you said "The advice I gave was to do their own research before deciding on a location."

By the way, on my first search of the local newspaper (http://www.unison.ie/enniscorthy_echo/), here are the first 2 headlines:

Weekend Burglaries
16th Aug: Gardaí are investigating a number of burglaries which took place across the town at the weekend.

Vandal horror
16th Aug: A WAVE of wanton damage is being visited on a weekly basis on the prestigious National 1798 Interpretative Centre in Enniscorthy by fuelled-up vandals.

So?...

If you go into Easons in O'Connell Street and read the headlines in the local papers from around the country, you will see sensationalist crime stories splashed over the front pages of most of them. This does not mean that the entire country (or indeed the places in question) are awash with crime.

The current issue of Magill magazine contains a very interesting article on how the Irish media routinely hype up crime stories in order to boost circulation, creating in the process an impression that crime levels are rocketing, even during periods (like now) when they are stagnant or falling.

This issue is particularly relevant in Co. Wexford where there is cut-throat competition between the Echo and People Groups of newspapers and where both Groups tend to approach "human interest" stories in a very sensationalist manner. For example, suicide and car crash stories are regularly given "lead story" treatment in these newspapers. How the familes of these victims are meant to cope with such publicity is another question entirely...

Ah so, it's all just sensationalist crime stories.

It's curious though that you didn't respond to last point regarding your contradictory viewpoint.[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]You said on this thread:
don't make decisions based on the anonymous hearsay you read here (including my own tuppence-worth)
But on another location thread you said:
Navan is a kip. A dirty, ugly, congested town with bad roads in all directions, and no rail services. Avoid at all costs.
That was a fairly emphatic statement.

For example, suicide and car crash stories are regularly given "lead story" treatment in these newspapers. How the familes of these victims are meant to cope with such publicity is another question entirely...

In my experience of the Co Wexford media:

The above (suicides / car crashes) may be given front page news but the full facts are rarely reported.

1) If a person dies accidentally, of natural causes, as a result of an assault or is murdered their death will be reported as such. However if they commit suicide the reports are inevitably fudged with banal and intelligence-insulting euphemisms such as 'not looking for anyone else in connection', 'fell in front of train', 'entered the river' etc. Frequently a coroner's report will state a verdict of accidental death when it was anything but.

2) Car accidents that caused by alcohol, speed and reckless driving are similarly reported in this selective manner i.e. the causes are never alluded to. Perhaps if the truth was printed then more lives could be saved.

Ah so, it's all just sensationalist crime stories.

It's curious though that you didn't respond to last point regarding your contradictory viewpoint.[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]You said on this thread:

But on another location thread you said:
That was a fairly emphatic statement.

I DID NOT say that the Enniscorthy issue is "all just sensationalist crime stories". My comment in relation to the Wexford media (since backed up by another poster) was that they tend to sensationalise certain types of story - hence the prominence they give to crime stories/allegations should be treated with caution.

I don't see any inconsistency between my comments on Navan (a town I intensely dislike) and Enniscorthy (the opposite). All I am stating are my own opinions. People are free to place as much or as little emphasis on them as they wish. However I wouldn't recommend to anyone to base any major lifestyle decision on the basis of what I think. Each one to their own...

I know little about either Navan or Enniscorthy. However, why do you feel the need to undermine what Askor has to say (fairly mild and backed up with internet links etc.) by talking about "anonymous hearsay" (albeit applying it also to your own views) when there was no such qualification of your strong comments about Navan? It's perfectly obvious that this is a forum for opinions. There's hardly a need to point out that people should go look for themselves. Just state your (contrary) opinion and leave it at that! A bit chippy methinks!

My "anonymous hearsay" hearsay comment was motivated by el2's comment as follows:

Thanks for your response - we are now looking nearer to Wexford. We hope to find somewhere nice soon.

I was just a bit concerned that el2 might have decided to avoid Enniscorthy solely on the basis of a couple of posts on this thread and another negative comment elsewhere mentioned in her posts. Mind you, this predated any of Askor's comments on this thread so the suspicion/implication that my comments were somehow directed at or a criticism of Askor's posts is a mile off.

Had the OP in the Navan thread made a similar "right then, I'll avoid it" comment after my posting there, I would have felt an obligation to tell them to do their own research for themselves (as both I and Askor stated above).

I've lived in a few small towns in south wexford and worked in the County. All towns have their issues with crime etc but I would't have thought wexford was any worse than anywhere else. The main problem I had with wexford was that the people, although outwardly friendly, really kept to themselves and their families. We lived there for 5 years with small children and always felt like outsiders, childcare was also a bit of a problem. I would look for an area with a good proportion of resident outsiders and as few holiday homes as possible. Its a beautiful county, particularly west wexford, but the prettiest areas are also the most isolated, which I suppose is ok if you like that sort of thing.

My comment was based on some research my hubbie did via collegues - some of whom have lived there.

We are still looking in the general area - as you say ramble we have seen lovely places but they are isolated which isn't ideal with two small children. Thanks for your comment re childcare - something else to worry about!
I value opinions given here and thank you for taking the time to post but plan on thoroughly reseaching any area we may consider through both word of mouth and media. This site is a great starting point but I still have lots to do.

Back