England's World Cup bid

Staples

Any throughts on England's bid?

My usual xenophobia notwithstanding, I hope they're successful. I can't understand how a country with such a history of football hasn't hosted the tournament in nearly 45 years when, in the meantime, it's been twice hosted by Mexico and Germany.

One of the other main contenders on this occasion, Spain, also hosted the tournament in 1982.

Yeah, they should get it. It would be a brilliant event as the fans would support every game. I was there for Euro 96 and it was absolutely brilliant.

I hope they get it although last night's shenanigans in Birmingham probably didn't help matters.

Is the question do you think they'll get it, or that they should get it ?

I think they won't. If the allegations made in the Panorama programme can be taken as fact, then their bid is holed below the water line.

Russia should be able to meet the needs of FIFA ;), but Spain Portugal could sneak in on the econd round if there's a split between Russia and England.

Apparently the presentation by Belgium's team was very impressive this morning, however they are seen as the outsiders.

Hope it goes to Spain & Portugal.

Having been in Stuttgart in '88 , Cagliari in ' 90 and the West Stand in Lansdowne in 1995 I simply do not believe that a sizeable minority of English " fans " will behave and I was in Moscow when Ireland played there - fascinating city but crime ridden and violent , fans were ripped off everywhere by everyone from taxi drivers to police.

Well, they already have much of the infrastructure. Portugal had the Euros in 2004 and Spain's stadia should also be fit for purpose.

I read recently that they're considering pulling down the Soweto stadium built for WC2010, 'cos it's too expensive to maintain. Mad !

Yeah, they should get it. It would be a brilliant event as the fans would support every game. I was there for Euro 96 and it was absolutely brilliant.

Don't think the fans would support every game any more than in Spain/Portugal, Belgium/Holland or even Russia.

Plenty of empty seats at Euro 96 for games between so called lesser nations.

Agree they have the stadia and the transport infrastructure etc but so do the other Western European bids and Russia has the money and the political system to ensure that whatever they need to do gets done beforehand.

Ironically, in this day and age the hooligan problem should count against Russia rather than Ingerland. But with the revelations by the English media and the "opaque" manner in which FIFA conducts its business, who knows?

Just because every game wasn't a sell out doesn't mean it wasn't well supported. Euro 96 as far as I know was the best ever supported European championships.

Russia should be able to meet the needs of FIFA ;), ..

Does this show Panorama's allegations to be groundless ;) ? Russia, with the multiple time zones and the distances between cities and the extremes of climate and the visa overhead for visitors, got it for purely football reasons :rolleyes: ?

What was that term referred to in the News this morning about Russia and Wikileaks ?

On Pat Kenny show they are talking about all the building of stadia, hotels, transport system that Qatar need to do for this World Cup. Literally tens of billions. Seems to me like Qatar is the place for all the unemployed construction workers to be to take advantage.....

Just listening to that. Sound bizarre.
Apparently Qatar have to build 8 new stadia and after the world cup will dismantle them and give them to 3rd world nations.

Just listening to that. Sound bizarre.
Apparently Qatar have to build 8 new stadia and after the world cup will dismantle them and give them to 3rd world nations.

And they have to air condition them. And also don't they ban alcohol? Two bizarre decisions that must have been hugely underwritten by the Governments because there is no way they will be commercial successes.

And they promised to spend 50 billion on infrastructure.
Is the game even popular in Qatar?

I thought one of the reasons the USA and Japan/Korea were given it previously was the game was growing in these regions and hosting the world cup would help with it's development.

Back