Eddie Hobbs on Ryan Tubridy Sat Night. Very Entertaining!

Above

Geegee just like Myers you've managed to offend just about every English speaking person on the planet other than those who speak it with an educated English accent. Myers had the good sense to see he'd erred. You haven't.

According to your dogma which started by attacking a mild Cork accent, English spoken with a French accent, a beautiful Italian accent or an African accent like Kofi Annan's is offensive and people in regular broadcasts should each effect a middle England accent.

God help you Geegee you're a very mixed up little bunny.

re: English language

Geegee. Eddie Hobbs speaks with a Cork accent. It is a matter of opinion whether Eddie needs to practice some accent reduction techniques. In my opinion, he articulates very well.

However, one certainly does not need to come from outside your immediate geographical area in order to cringe at the mistakes you make when writing English.

Re: Above

Caifu / ngirl,

I fail to see what you hope to achieve by attacking me for having an opinion - I didn't know there was a self-appointed Thought Police lurking in AAM or is it just that I have struck a chord??

Who said anything about an "educated english accent"? I know plenty of uneducated non-English people who can speak properly - all distinctly Irish but easily understandable.
The examples you use of other nationalities are irrelevant - many people in these countries speak perfectly understandable English, with an accent, but, unlike some, they are very careful in their use of grammar, metaphors and sayings; they are interested in language development and improvement but equally there are as many who are not interested and revel in their irreverant use of English.

I once worked with an English man who constantly talked of the Irish and their Bastardisation of the English language. I also worked with a Belgian who spoke perfect English; he took delight in correcting people for whom English was their first language. I currently have a colleague who constantly corrects peoples English.
These three people have one thing in common, a need to display their education and to set themselves above the masses. This is evident in the condescending and hurtful way in which they choose to "correct".
Languages and accents are living things, they change and evolve with time, if they didn't we would all be speaking exactly as English speakers spoke hundreds of years ago. When the English "persuaded" us and others to use their spoken tongue they didn't licence it to us while retaining all rights to its use. Personally I love the diversity of dialects and accents but when I hear someone speak with a BBC accent I'll choose not to ram my opinion down their throat.
MoodyToo.

Well said Moody.

It's all about appreciating diversity. You will never understand a Geordie accent unless you open your mind to it. Anyone Irish who has trouble with Cork accents (or any other Irish accent) should be embarrassed about that.

I'm not saying you have to love the accent. But you certainly should not assume that your perception of certain accents reflects anything other than your own personal tastes.

above

Moody Too,

I am often corrected - and greatly appreciate it too. In fact, I would be annoyed if I found out that I was using incorrect English and my audience noticed but did not correct me. By their lack of correction, they are allowing me to continue unabatedly making a fool of myself. I fail to see how anyone could take offence at being corrected - they really are doing you a favour.

Your point about the Belgian person for whom English was their second language bears out one of my recent points: they take the language seriously and want to speak it properly. They value the opportunity to be able to speak English.

Americans justlove the plain English accent as it doesn't have a "twang" as they have. Having said that, through personal experience, I have found that a large proportion of everyday Americans use good grammar and are very interested in language development. They always attempt to use the correct terminology without watering it down to a simplistic level which would be patronizing to say the least.

Re: above

"I have found that a large proportion of everyday Americans use good grammar and are very interested in language development. They always attempt to use the correct terminology without watering it down to a simplistic level which would be patronizing to say the least."

Maybe you are speaking of the small percentage that leave, or know of the existance of countries, other than their own.

Get down to Missouri boy!

For you, it would probably put geordies on par with the queen!
(notice my lower case "q" on queen!)

Re: Eddie Hobbs on Ryan Tubridy Sat Night. Very Entertaining

>>Americans justlove the plain English accent as it doesn't have a "twang" as they have.

It's true that many Americans love RP English. But they still think of it as an accent. They think that they don't have an accent themselves.

I lived in America myself for over a decade and I have to say that, as a people, they have no significantly greater interest in language development than the Irish.

I am often corrected - and greatly appreciate it too.
Great, language is your thing but not everyone appreciates being corrected in public. For people with social issues it is far more damaging to point out their mistakes in public than to let a simple spoken error pass. It would be just as rude if I decided that everyone should strive to excel at fashion and began correcting peoples fashion mistakes. I'd be doing someone a favour by pointing out that red and green should never be seen. Shouldn't everyone walk correctly instead of walking around with slumped shoulders and dragged feet, maybe I'll take it upon myself to correct a slopping gait when I see one, after all we're not apes, and I'd be doing the person a favour.
I understand that some people love the English language, that's great, join toast-masters or a poetry club, read a work of great English literature. But leave your work colleagues alone.
MoodyToo

For you, it would probably put geordies on par with the queen!(notice my lower case "q" on queen!)

This is just infantile and beneath contempt. Statements like that just perpetuate the current problems on this Island.

This has become tiresome so I'll end with this: Brian O'Connell is the London correspondent for RTE news. Think of all of the other foreign correspondents - Carol Coleman, Mark Little etc etc. If they had strong regional accents they would not have got the job because:
A) no one would be able to understand them and
B) they would not be taken seriously and dismissed (wrongly, but this is the way it works) as hicks.

An illustration of this happened at a national secondary school public speaking seminar this weekend. The audience had to raise flags if they had difficulty understanding the speaker. One person had a strong regional accents and you should have seen the number of flags raised.

And all of the audience were Irish.

"Infantile and beneath contempt"?

What are you on about? Reading through your posts, you, for example, indicate that foreign companies are not locating call centres here because of dialects.......would you back that daft statement up with proof. Where are they locating to?

The answer is labour cost and communication infrastructure. Are you saying that it is easier to understand a Bangalore accent than a Kerry one?

Your posts have been on the basis of heresay and what you feel. Don't take offence when replies are on the same basis.

So what if the majority of the audience from the said school debate had linguistic filtering issues!

Mise le meas........

Ocras

Are you saying that it is easier to understand a Bangalore accent than a Kerry one?

Very much so, their education system takes pronunciation and grammar very seriously. Is this going to run and run with you defending the indefensible? If your intransigent attitude is commonplace there is little hope for change.

Hi Guys,

Whats all this talk of accents got to do with Eddie Hobbs and what he had to say about Irish Personal Finance Issues in an Interview with Ryan Tubridy?

Theres a perfectly good discussion on accents going on at present. Why not use that ?

ajapale

I think GeeGee is having a laugh Ocras. I hope so anyway...otherwise he doesn't understand why businesses move to India, Poland, the Czech republic etc...

It has NOTHING to do with their grasp of the english language. 10 minutes trying to converse with a call centre would tell you that.
The other poster, who equated people who point out others ineptitude when it comes to language, hit the nail on the head. I just call it being very, very anal.

Sorry for changing the subject again ajapale. Perhaps move all irrelevant accent nonsense to the other thread?

" I think GeeGee is having a laugh Ocras. I hope so anyway"

Phew.......it all makes sense now!

Thanks.

Great, language is your thing but not everyone appreciates being corrected in public.

Language is not my “thing” just as living and breathing aren’t either – they just happen. This is quite simple: it’s a normal case of being conscientious – a “do it right or don’t bother doing it at all,” type of philosophy.

10 minutes trying to converse with a call centre would tell you that.

The crucial difference is they aspire to speak properly rather than revel in not doing so. In my experience, this lack of interest in speaking properly is often rooted in some sort of pathetic persecution complex combined with a (laughable) rebellious streak.

I have resisted but can't anymore.

Its not correct to say "....to speak properly" it should be "...to speak correctly".

You have to laugh!

Re: .

This is an either or situation. I choose to use properly rather than correctly as it suits the context better.

"The crucial difference is they aspire"

Should one not say; "The crucial difference is that they aspire"?

geegee

It is never "properly" and always "correctly" - as the other mailer suggested. Perhaps you should debunk to Bangalore as it would appear that you are in need of a few English lessons yourself ...

Back