Eddie Hobbs on Ryan Tubridy Sat Night. Very Entertaining!

A

ajapale

Did any one see Eddie Hobbs on Ryan Tubridy on Sat Night?

I really enjoyed the performance. Im also warming up to RT as an interviewer.

ajapale

Re: Eddie Hobbs on Ryan Tubridy Sat Night. Very Entertaining

Missed the show - Is it repeated?

Sorry Rainy don't know about repeats. Saw the show and thought Eddie was very good/entertaining as usual. Certainly kept the audiences attention with grilling them about their credit cards.

I inadvertently browsed by as he was being interviewed - he came across very well and certainly did appeal well to the audience. He made a couple of very good points in relation to the availability of credit and other issues. A very good interview. I tuned out shortly after the interview ended and it looked like we had hit a time warp and gone back in time 10 or more years to some form of Jay Lenno/Conan Whatsisname show. I can't believe this format is being promoted on RTE - it would be like launching a new breakfast show based on what the Big Breakfast (C4 I think) the early nineties.

z

Does anyone remember that advert some time back showing a woman putting her phone number into a good looking dudes back pocket? Then he rang her with the most appalling hick accent and the caption was " wish you'd sent a text message?" Well, I think this sentiment applies to this man - he looks alright and makes sense but that accent - perleeeease!!!!

The format of the "Show me the Money" programme just doesn't work here - like the English couldn't do "Father Ted" the Irish certainly can't do "Changing Rooms" type programmes - they are just cringe makingly crass and are more like Father Ted than Father Ted ever was.

I inadvertently browsed by as he was being interviewed
Sure - we all believe that you're not a closet Tubridy fan ;)

the English couldn't do "Father Ted"

but they DID do it, inasmuch as they believed in the project and paid for it to be done. Whereas RTE would have felt obliged to run the script past the Catholic hierarchy and implemented changes based on the feedback.

Thought Eddie's comments on "producer cartels", and the lack of power that the Competition Authority has, as being responsible for much of the high price levels in Ireland was very compelling.

Interesting too that the first producer cartel he listed was public sector unions !

Very telling

Above

Geegee, the rating for SMTM is over 40% according to the Sunday Business Post. Its in the top 6 I think. If a UK money programme was getting 40% of the UK audience we would be sick hearing about it I'd have thought.

You should go to Cork and really hear the accent, Roy Keane style but looks like the mild Cork burr isn't putting off either Manu fans or RTE viewers

Re: Above

the Uk man U fans don't have to listen to it day in day out so it is a novelty

it would be like launching a new breakfast show based on what the Big Breakfast (C4 I think) the early nineties.

Early nineties is quite risque for RTE. Most of their programming is ripped off from the UK, America or Australia. Their best original production is The Lyrics Board - enough said :eek

Pygmalion

Differentiating or pigoen-holing by accent has been around since Victorian times. Geegee what is the acceptable tribe to your ear?

Joe Duffy who has a very strong dub accent, or Bertie?. Both are very popular and frequently heard. What about John Creedon who is very Cork? Derek Davis, Mary Mc Aleese the list goes on. Maybe Geegee you might ask yourself if your a little "racist", or "tribalist".

Caifu,

Differentiating or pigoen-holing by accent has been around since Victorian times. Geegee what is the acceptable tribe to your ear?

Strong accents grate as mispronunciation is invariably the result. English is English; speak it properly or don't bother and revert to the "mother" tongue. The acceptable "tribe" to my ear is, as stated before, the likes of Brian O'Connell - he would be clearly understood anywhere in the English speaking world which is more than can be said for regional accents in this country.

Joe Duffy who has a very strong dub accent, or Bertie?.

I know cringe-making to say the least.

Maybe Geegee you might ask yourself if your a little "racist", or "tribalist".

So wanting to listen to the English language properly makes me racist or tribalist? If that definition is correct then so be it.

The second reason (after labour costs) that India has such a high proportion of call centres for the English speaking world is that the purity of their pronunciation is very high. There is huge emphasis on vocabulary and pronunciation in the Indian educational system.

GG

Above

I appreciate your candour even if thankfully yours is a fading minority view.

Duffy, Hobbs, Creedon, and millions of Irish people do speak English properly without many mistakes in grammer etc. Mostly these people are fluent and articulate, its just that they don't appeal to whatever preconceived notion you have about SOUND.

Is the SOUND you believe to be "proper" the west brit type sound that we hear very elegantly from Shane Ross or Kevin Myers both of whom would use this accent? Geegee, honestly, and I genuinely mean this in a friendly way you should seriously reassess your thoughts and ask yourself if you are simply prejudiced against those who use different accents to yours because thats what your posts indicate very clearly

Caifu,

I think you are missing my fundamental point: the objective of verbal communication is to be understood by anyone who speaks the same language as you. If you have a strong regional accent this will not happen. Take Jordies (from Newcastle in the North east of England) as an example, they are arguable some of the most friendley people in England but they are very difficult to understand.

Another problem with regional accents is they invariably lead to mispronunciation. The English language in not theirs to abuse or contort to their own local dialect.

Anyone in the English speaking world could not fail to understand Mr Myers or Mr Ross - plain English at its best.

You, Caifu, are guilty of inverted snobbery - currently in vogue in England and Ireland- where speaking properly is a serious inhibitor to your social status.

The death of the original BBC accent is nigh and being replaced by strong regional accents. This is a travesty for the poor beleagured listener who is distracted from what they are saying by the way they are saying it.

So before you start equating speaking properly with prejudice you would be well advised to consider the above.

GG

geegee - you are losing it here. I would have thought that the fundamental objective of verbal communication is to be understood by your audience and not by "anyone who speaks the same language as you"

As for the rest of your post - I don't even know which point warrants demolition first.

z

"they are arguable some of the most friendley people in England but they are very difficult to understand. "

Is it possible that ones aural skills are close to anal?

I would have thought that the fundamental objective of verbal communication is to be understood by your audience and not by "anyone who speaks the same language as you"

Yes, indeed, but what happens if ones audience happens to be from outside your immediate area or even another country? They would not be able to understand a local dialect.

Have you ever wondered why, now, there is a strong emphasis on phonics and pronunciation in the Irish primary education system???
Have you ever wondered why, apart from the high labour costs, there are few international call centres here? The cost of elocution for the staff alone would make them prohibitive.

We are privileged to have the gift of a beautiful ,rich language which most of the world wants to speak- why not cherish it and use it to its full potential?

GG

Back