Dyson Cordless vacuum

dodo

Thinking of buying a Dyson V8 cordless vacumm, just checked price in Power City ,DID, Harvey Norman and all same price, is there another company in Ireland that sells them for better value?

@dodo - https://www.dyson.ie/vacuum-cleaners/sticks/dyson-v8/dyson-v8-overview-new (buying direct)is dearer by €0.99, but might be shipping costs to add on... If not, then buying direct from manufacturer would be my preference.

Not sure how much you've seen them for but this place seems to have one

Hi dodo,

Don't want to take your thread off topic, but just wondering if you have test driven this Dyson hoover, as it is quite expensive, https://www.dyson.ie/hair-care/dyson-supersonic/dyson-supersonic-shop-all?utm_campaign=ie_en_hc_supersonic_always-on_hair-dryers_do_text_brand_mix_range&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=dyson+hair+dryer&utm_content=ds_na&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsqjdtJLw_gIVG4toCR2VGwW4EAAYASAAEgL7-PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds (as is all the Dyson stuff.) A friend had the €400 hairdryer shown and did not notice any difference to an ordinary one. I have seen some upright vacuums on display in Harvey Norman, and DID, where they can be test driven. I tried them out and was not really impressed. I don't recall if the Dyson V8 was one on display.

To get to the point, a salesman that I spoke to one day about these type of cordless vacuums mentioned that he would prefer if companies were fair to purchasers, and tell them that these type of vacuums are really only suitable as a back-up, to the main vacuum, in other words they are handy for a quick clean up, but are not sufficient for a full heavy vacuum of the whole house. I notice a lot of them only have a short period before the battery needs to be recharged. Because of that I had looked at getting two batteries which would have made it quite a bit more expensive. I abandoned the idea in the end.

I have an old dyson cordless, might have it 10 yrs at this stage and there is no doubt they are handy but there is also no doubt they are not for a full house clean especially of carpets. I find it really handy, it lives in the hotpress in the hall and I do a quick clean of hall/sitting room carpets and kitchen floor easily and quickly. Still on original battery but it's failing a bit alright at this stage, I have never left it on permanent charge as I was originally told that shortens battery life and it might be true considering it's so old at this stage!

I know the newer ones are bigger/stronger etc but still don't think they are any substitute for a full size one, they are in addition to it as a convenience imo and I wouldn't be without it really.

I have one. Definitely not a whole house Hoover. We keep our upstairs to keep that In reasonable order. Would not be suitable for whole house. It’s a second Hoover for sure

We changed the battery after a couple of year. It needed to change it again after another couple of year so we gave up on it.

I would not buy a cordless anything. Its a pain in the swiss having to keep it charged.
Get yourself an alternative to Dyson, another bagless vacuum, and a 50 metre extension cord.

We changed the battery after a couple of year. It needed to change it again after another couple of year so we gave up on it.
I used mine today and had been thinking that the battery might be failing at this stage but no it was back to flying form!
I would not buy a cordless anything. Its a pain in the swiss having to keep it charged.
Get yourself an alternative to Dyson, another bagless vacuum, and a 50 metre extension cord.
I did get the cord on my big dyson extended so I don't have to replug it in as such to do the full downstairs but I still like the cordless for a quick tidy. I have had cordless lawn mowers for past 25odd years since shortly after I had a lawn, yes you can't just walk out and start cutting but a half hour will charge it so just need to know it's a fine day :)

If you have pets (with any form of hair) I'd recommend a cordless Shark over a Dyson. Half the price and with one battery, fully charged I can hoover the entire house several times. Albeit my house is circa 90sqm.

Hi dodo,

Don't want to take your thread off topic, but just wondering if you have test driven this Dyson hoover, as it is quite expensive, https://www.dyson.ie/hair-care/dyson-supersonic/dyson-supersonic-shop-all?utm_campaign=ie_en_hc_supersonic_always-on_hair-dryers_do_text_brand_mix_range&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=dyson+hair+dryer&utm_content=ds_na&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsqjdtJLw_gIVG4toCR2VGwW4EAAYASAAEgL7-PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds (as is all the Dyson stuff.) A friend had the €400 hairdryer shown and did not notice any difference to an ordinary one. I have seen some upright vacuums on display in Harvey Norman, and DID, where they can be test driven. I tried them out and was not really impressed. I don't recall if the Dyson V8 was one on display.

To get to the point, a salesman that I spoke to one day about these type of cordless vacuums mentioned that he would prefer if companies were fair to purchasers, and tell them that these type of vacuums are really only suitable as a back-up, to the main vacuum, in other words they are handy for a quick clean up, but are not sufficient for a full heavy vacuum of the whole house. I notice a lot of them only have a short period before the battery needs to be recharged. Because of that I had looked at getting two batteries which would have made it quite a bit more expensive. I abandoned the idea in the end.
Agree fully with above. We tried a few dysons inc the one the OP is asking about. We returned it. We swapped for a miele which is superb. Thought the bags etc would be a pain but they are grand.

Not so much any more, the tech has moved on considerably and will be even less of a risk with solid state chemistry coming on-stream.
It is a pity it is still 10 years away for solid state batteries for cars. Even then they will still only have the lifespan of 10 to 15 years.

Back