Dundrum Town Centre ?

what is your bit?

Who says that those of us who don't moan but stay here don't do our bit in an attempt to change things?

I didnt say that people were moaning or not moaning and not doing anything about it. My statement was an observation and critism of my behaviour when I was living in Ireland.

This statement from Rainyday:

So the obvious question is - why are you still here?

Made me smile, as that is exactly what I would have said when I was living in Ireland and I heard people moan about Irish weather, Irish taxes, Irish traffic and say the quality of life was so much better in X. For my part though I didnt do anything proactive in changing this, and for the record I dont think many do, the main reasons for this were a lack of knowledge as oppose to laziness.

Good Old Ireland

I guess we just have different priorities. When I think of quality of life issues, none of them have EUR symbols in front of them.

Money isn't my priority, however if I can buy a much nicer house in a much nicer area, with much better local services and ameneties for less than half the price of the houses I'm looking at in Ireland then I'm well on the way to a better quality of life. That's just common sense.

[/quote]I'd worry more about living in a country where this kind of thing happens on a worryingly regular basis than whether my house has a pool or not.[/quote]

It doesn't happen on a worringly regular basis. America is a big place. These kinds of things happen in Europe too.

If you want to make a direct comparison between Ireland and the States then you need to ask what's the crime like in the Very specific part of America that I want to live in. A shooting on Colorado or Minesota has no more impact on people living in say Florida, than a School Massacre in Scotland has on people in Dublin.

Yes gun crime is a HUGE problem in the states, but it's been shown that it's predominantly gun owners and their families that are affected. I know lots and lots of People in America, maybe 50 to 100 people, I know nobody, not even one that has ever been directly affected by Gun Crime.

Far more important that the sensational Headline catching news stories is the everyday experience of people. Let's look at life in good old Ireland....

I bought a car in Ireland 4 years ago, it was keyed on the first weekend I had it, it has been keyed again since then.
I've had the window of my car broken twice outside the house in two different areas of Dublin (not bad areas). I've had a leather jacket stolen from my car while I was changing a tyre.
I know personally of two cases of people being very seriously assaulted on the streets of Dublin (Not Late at Night), one got a broken nose, the other got hit on the back of the head with a Baseball Bat at 6pm while walk along minding his own business.
Neither of these people went looking for or expected to be attacked.
I myself was approached in the Point Depot by 3 guys who took a shine to my watch. Fortunately I got to keep my watch thanks to the intervention of a couple of friends of mine, had they not been there I might have fended off one of the scumbags, but not 3.

So let's not get all misty eyed about how great Ireland is and how crime ridden the US is. I would not dare to buy a nice car e.g. a Mustang In Ireland because it would be stolen or keyed or both within Days.
On the one or two occasions a month when I find myself in Dublin city center late at night, I can't wait to get out of it. I'm nervous walking from Marlboro St Car Park to O'Connell St.

I feel much much safer in the US.

Trust me, my priorities are not Financial. Even if it was more expensive to live there I'd still go.

I suppose the question I have for you Rainyday is if Ireland is so great, why are you anxious to remove the Party that has been in Government for 16 of the last 18 years. If Fianna Fail are doing so well, why risk putting another party into Power? Labour MIGHT only wreck the great Quality of Life you seem to enjoy so much? Why not stick with something that's working so well? Fianna Fail might not be perfect, but they've built a country that you seem to Love. That's a pretty good reason to vote for them.

-Rd

Re: Good Ol' Ireland

I'd worry more about living in a country where this kind of thing happens on a worryingly regular basis

You should start worrying now following the shooting of a truck driver yesterday. The Indo (24/03/2004) reports:

A spokesman for Devlin Transport said yesterday: "...Apparently this sort of thing has happened before..." A senior Garda source said:..."There has been a serious increase in vehicles being targeted on the M50 in recent weeks. Rocks and other debris have been thrown from the bridge at Tallaght and have struck cars and caused damage."

Now if Ireland is turning into a mini America, with lunatics running around shooting things and pelting rocks at people - the chances of being killed here is far greater than in the US, considering how small the population of Ireland is to over there. Daltonr, you better add one more item to your list of disadvantages in living in this damned country.

-soc

Re: Free Parking

We've gone a little off topic here (Remember Dundrum Shopping Centre). But I suppose it's all linked.

There has been a serious increase in vehicles being targeted on the M50 in recent weeks. Rocks and other debris have been thrown from the bridge at Tallaght and have struck cars and caused damage.

I saw a BBC (I think) documentary a few years ago about kids dropping concrete blocks from bridges over motorways in the UK. Do you have any idea how much damage a concrete block travelling at 70mph does when it hits your head?

Ever since that documentary I look at all bridges to see if there are kids on them as I approach.

you better add one more item to your list of disadvantages in living in this damned country.

That side of the list is full I'm afraid. I'm on the look out for some reasons to stay if anyone has any.

-Rd

Not too many of [broken link removed] hanging around the M50

Hi rd
Why not think about Oz, its got the things you're looking for (even cheaper) and the people are alot more copped on....

>I'm on the look out for some reasons to stay if anyone has any.

Family. Friends. The Guinness.

The women.....okay...maybe not ;)

reasons for staying/going back

Seriously if you were to put a list together what would it be?
Though that said the list should not contain family or friends as those are a personal thing, ie if you were to try to convinence an american or italian that ireland has a great quality of life your family and friends wouldnt count!

For me Id say

- Dublin aside, the country is not overpopulated and there really is some lovely countryside
- the sea
- the weather, while not loved by sun worshippers, is marvellous for gardeners and is relatively moderate.
- the irish wit, humour

oh I forgot one....

....the drundrum town centre.... :rollin

(do I get points for bringing it back to topic)

Oz was considered. I may be visiting this year and who knows. If I like it... anything could happen.
Even it is were cheaper finances aren't the only consideration.

The East Coast of the States has the advantage that I can get back here (I still have family) within a long weekend if necessary. Or they can get out to me.

Canada is another country that really interests me.

-Rd

Re: Good Old Ireland

Money isn't my priority, however if I can buy a much nicer house in a much nicer area, with much better local services and ameneties for less than half the price of the houses I'm looking at in Ireland then I'm well on the way to a better quality of life. That's just common sense.
It makes absolutely no sense, unless you look at the big picture. We all know the old saying about those people who know the price of everything and the value of nothing. At a minimum, you need to look the other side of the equation too - income/tax etc.

I bought a car in Ireland 4 years ago, it was keyed on the first weekend I had it, it has been keyed again since then.
I've had the window of my car broken twice outside the house in two different areas of Dublin (not bad areas). I've had a leather jacket stolen from my car while I was changing a tyre.
I know personally of two cases of people being very seriously assaulted on the streets of Dublin (Not Late at Night), one got a broken nose, the other got hit on the back of the head with a Baseball Bat at 6pm while walk along minding his own business.
Neither of these people went looking for or expected to be attacked.
I myself was approached in the Point Depot by 3 guys who took a shine to my watch. Fortunately I got to keep my watch thanks to the intervention of a couple of friends of mine, had they not been there I might have fended off one of the scumbags, but not 3.
It does sound like we live in different cities. In my 40 years in Dublin, I've had one car break-in, and nothing else. Most of my family/friends have similar experiences.

I suppose the question I have for you Rainyday is if Ireland is so great, why are you anxious to remove the Party that has been in Government for 16 of the last 18 years. If Fianna Fail are doing so well, why risk putting another party into Power? Labour MIGHT only wreck the great Quality of Life you seem to enjoy so much? Why not stick with something that's working so well? Fianna Fail might not be perfect, but they've built a country that you seem to Love. That's a pretty good reason to vote for them.
I'm not quite sure why you seem to want to bring the Labour issue into every topic we debate, but anyway - let's not give FF too much credit. FF haven't created my family, my friends, the foothills of Dublin where I cycle etc etc. We all know they have no core policies. They just jump into bed with whoever will get them in power and swing from left to right to left again perhaps.

It makes absolutely no sense, unless you look at the big picture. We all know the old saying about those people who know the price of everything and the value of nothing. At a minimum, you need to look the other side of the equation too - income/tax etc.

The big picture is what I'm talking about. Life in general in Ireland is not as pleasant as Life in general in many of the countries I've been to.

My only point about Money and tax is that we don't get value for money on our tax spend. There are other countries where you pay significantly less tax and get significantly better services. Or you pay less tax but can use what you keep to buy better services.

It does sound like we live in different cities. In my 40 years in Dublin, I've had one car break-in, and nothing else. Most of my family/friends have similar experiences.

Lucky you. I'm currently sitting in a room with one other person. I've had two break-ins to my car, the other person had a car stolen (car-jacked).

I'm not quite sure why you seem to want to bring the Labour issue into every topic we debate,

I just think your support of Labour makes a clear statement about what you believe, and often that differs from what you preach on AAM. E.g in this case (Ireland is great, kick out the government we seriously need to change Ireland).

FF haven't created my family, my friends, the foothills of Dublin where I cycle etc etc.

Of course they have. (Well maybe not the foothills), They've been almost constantly in power since the foundation of the state, they have shaped the Irish people (including you, your family and friends), their beliefs, prejudices, hopes etc.

Incidently the Dublin foothills aren't exactly spectacular. You should get out more. They're nice and all, but really, not worth putting up with a sh1t country for.

Congrats on finding a quality of life you like and enjoy, that's all you can hope for. I haven't in Ireland so I hope to leave.
But don't stay in Ireland if you hope you can change it into the kind of country you'd like. That's what I'm not prepared to do, because the country I like is already out there. And Ireland ain't going to improve in my lifetime, It's going to get worse.

-Rd

kick out the government we seriously need to change Ireland
I've never equated the Govt with the country - two very different entities.
Incidently the Dublin foothills aren't exactly spectacular. You should get out more. They're nice and all, but really, not worth putting up with a sh1t country for.
Who needs spectacular?

Who needs spectacular?

Clearly you don't judging from your comments on this thread.
If mediocre is ok for you then fine. More power to you.

I don't like Ireland and I don't believe it'll get any better. You're obviously happy. Assuming I manage to leave we might both end up happy. Isn't that all that really matters?

Incidently I visited Dundrum today.
I left after about 30 mins. I'll go back when it's fully open but right now it's just massively over priced clothes shops.

I buy all my clothes in the States, so Dundrum hasn't much to offer right now.

€99.99 for a pair of Levi's 501's. Gimme a break.

Seemed to be doing good business though.
I don't know. Confuses the hell out of me.

-Rd

Well, when it comes down to this specific issue I think anybody in their right mind, and even those around here who are not, has to admit that the USA does have more spectacular hills than Ireland. Not sure if they're necessarily greener though.

has to admit that the USA does have more spectacular hills than Ireland.
Agreed, though I'm not sure that quantity is all that relevant. You can only walk/climb/cycle one of them at a time, whether you are here or in the US.

More

I think when he said More Spectacular, he didn't mean MORE in quantity (although that's obviously true) he meant MORE SPECTATULAR. I might be wrong.

Not that's it's relevant, I wouldn't move somewhere for the scenery, it's just a nice bonus. You mentioned it as one of the things you liked about Dublin. Which is fair enough. I lived in the Wiclow Mountains for two years and it was very very nice, but it didn't compensate for the rest of the stuff that I dislike.

-Rd

Re: More

I think when he said More Spectacular, he didn't mean MORE in quantity (although that's obviously true) he meant MORE SPECTATULAR. I might be wrong.

Spot on - that's what I meant.

back to free parking

(but not yet back to Dundrum 'town' centre.....)
Clubman, staff at St Vincents Elm Park Hospital and Beaumont have to pay for their parking, and there is nothing like enough of it. Many staff are attached to community services and have to go to outlying facilities or home visits during their working hours, and may not have a spot on their return to the hospital. Is this right? Should parking be a benefit in kind for them? Should it be a benefit in kind for those who spend their entire shift inside the hospital? Given that shifts run from 7am untill 10pm when public transport is neither frequent nor the wait always in a secure or safe place. Just looking for opinions here.

Back