Dundrum Town Centre ?

Z

zag

Is it just me, or does the concept of a shopping centre being named "Town Centre" seem stupid and somewhat insulting to the consumers intelligence ?

Dundrum Town Centre is making the existing real town centre redundant and Blanchardstown Town Centre isn't actually near the centre of Blanchardstown and isn't a town centre.

Maybe it's just me.

z

Anybody else consider the hype (free advertising) in various media about a new shopping centre a bit bizarre? :\

re

The shopping centre is 1/2 kilometre long and another say 1/4 to village centre. Any Luas I passed today was packed to the brim. I queued for 15 minutes this evening just to get on !

Re: re

Does anyone know why Europe's biggest shopping center was built slap bang in the middle of a traffic nightmare on the side of a Motorway that's already overused?

One good thing, it's getting much easier to get parking in the City Center on weekends.

We're in the twilight between the shoppers abandoning the city center and the shops abandoning it. Enjoy it while it lasts.

-Rd

Two yo-yos an hour to park in the car park there.

They will be waiting a long time for me to go shopping there. But then again maybe they don't really want skinflints like me.

Murt

City centre seems to have survived the opening of the Square, Liffey Valley & Blanch without falling into rack & ruin - I can't see Dundrum having that much effect.

I would love to agree with you rainyday but the Dundrum mall seems to target the same consumer group as the Grafton street area. I would love to know how the rents compare between the two areas. (ok, love is a bit strong; I would have a passing interest.)

Isn't it being called Town Centre because it's not just shops? It will house a theatre - it was recently announced that this will now not be a fully commercial venue but rather will be available to local groups. I was also told that the library is being moved over to the centre - this came up in the context of a discussion of what might happen to the Carnegie building which is currently the library - has anyone else heard anything about this?

centres

Hope the road signs for the Dundrum centre are not as confusing as the ones near Blanch. I've seen signs for the "Town Centre" (the actual Blanch town centre) and "Blanchardstown Town Centre" for the shopping centre :lol

Anybody else consider the hype (free advertising) in various media about a new shopping centre a bit bizarre?

I agree.
I can only comment on what has been in the Irish Times. Normally when they're plugging a product, they print Commercial Feature along the top of the page.
For the uncritical fluff pieces about DTC, they treated it as news.
Pandering to their demographic I suppose ?

I also found ironic the representatives from various faiths conducting a blessing at the opening. The passing of torch from the old religion to the new. The DTC is a cathedral to the dominant faith in this country - conspicuous consumption.

Re: centres

Can anyone confirm the parking rates for the centre? I believe there was a bit of a hoo-ha with staff having to pay for parking too.

parking

3400 car park spaces.
4000 staff.
75000 visitors on the first day.
Go figure.

Management at Dundrum Town Centre have predicted that a fifth of all visitors to the mall will travel by Luas – which is just a 12-minute ride from the city centre.

Cant find any info on their town centre website on car parking.

[broken link removed] has 3500 car park spaces too and is free. Some vouchers on that liffey valley website too if youre heading out there, god loves a googler :)

Re: parking

3400 car park spaces.
4000 staff.
So what's the problem? Assuming staff are advised up-front that they won't have parking, I don't see a problem here. As long as we cling on to the practice that EVERYONE commutes by car, we're going to continue to have traffic mayhem. The Dundrum centre is as good as it gets when it comes to public transport links. So staff don't get a parking spot....

So what's the problem?

The problem, I suppose, is that the workers have to park somewhere and at the moment they seem to be parking in the residential areas which were neither designed for this volume of demand nor have the capacity to deal with it. It's all very well telling the workers they can't park within the centre, but unless they're given alternatives they'll just take over the streets. I'm sure they don't all live on the Luas line.

at the moment they seem to be parking in the residential areas

Legally or illegally? If it's the latter then call the clampers.

The trouble is that it might be legal but it's irresponsible (which isn't against the law.)

For example, on my road there aren't any double yellow lines so cars are technically free to park on both sides simultaneously. The residents have never done so because it is quite evident that it would prevent emergency vehicles, delivery trucks etc from gaining reasonable access.

Yet the non-residents seem to think they can use the streets as THEY see fit. Residents should have reasonable entitlement to have the residential aspect of their estates maintained without it being compromised by those whose sole interest in the area is the unmarked tarmac.

"Assuming staff are advised up-front that they won't have parking"

The big question is, have they been advised? I heard one lady describe the other day how her daughter who is working there could not get her usual parking spot because the builders were working on the car park.

the workers have to park somewhere
You're missing the point. This is the key assumption that I am challenging. They don't HAVE to park somewhere - they could come to work by public transport. Even if they don't live on the LUAS line, they could still come to work by public transport. It might require a mixed mode journey, with a bit of walking or cycling, a bit of bussing and/or a bit of LUASing, but it can be done. We can't continue to expect that EVERY job will provide a parking space for EVERY employee.
The big question is, have they been advised?
Hi Suellen - Is it unreasonable to think that employees should ask these questions up front and not wait for someone else to inform them?

I was concerned to see the picture in yesterday's Irish Times of the 10 am opening had 2 girls in secondary school uniform bursting into the centre. Doing the practical work for their Bus Org course, I presume....

I won't name names but my significant other went for a part-time position and it wasn't until late in the training process that they were informed of the situation - not during the interview process. As a result they were still recruiting up to a week or so ago even though they had started at the beginning of this year. If she had known at the outset she wouldn't have spent a week training for the post.

Granted, though, it suited the people who are within public transport earshot of the place and that's fair enough. Maybe it was just this employer who saw fit to leave this information until after the interview stage.

Back