Dublin City Centre - Car Restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not following.

You said... "you are stopping people getting to parts of the city in a car depending on where you are coming from."

Can you give me an example of a scenario where someone might be stopped from getting to a destination depending on where they are coming from?
How do stop someone going "through" a city without doing that? That is what is being cited as the justification for this.

And literally here.

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/dublin-city-centre-car-restrictions.234799/post-1863557

It's still a very car-friendly destination though. And all the better for it.
Yes, good access to car parks within walking distance to a nice pedestrianised town centre. In the last 10 years it's gone from a bit of a kip to one of my favourite town centres in Ireland.

Apparently if you are from Finglas you shouldn't be looking to shop in Grafton street or Stephens Green.
Well yes, is anyone suggesting otherwise?! As for those people shopping in Dundrum; simply appalling. Down with that sort of thing.

Do you need someone to start drawing lines for you or something? Ever hear the phrase there is more than one way to get from A to B?
How about someone being forthright and actually spelling out what they mean, instead of vague phrasings which don't stand up to any scrutiny..

Is someone coming from northside such as Finglas going to be able to drive through the city centre to the southside in your concept or not?
Are they going to be able to drive to Grafton street \ Stephens green area and join up with vehicles coming from the southside?
And if so, how do you stop them driving on to the southside, as the southside cars do when they leave the area?

The question was asked by @Gordon Gekko and all there has been on the thread are evasions and vagueness.
"How exactly do you stop people driving across the city without messing with people driving into the city?"

These are basic questions, nobody seems capable of answering, except with more questions, and answers that contradict answers given to earlier questions.

Therefore the reasonable conclusion is that you can't, and it is disingenuous of politicians and those who support such a plan to pretend otherwise.

I'll leave this with you Odyssey. Amazingly drivers are still able to get from one end of Grafton St to the other. I'm not going to explain it any further as you are clearly not getting it.

Last edited:
How about someone being forthright and actually spelling out what they mean, instead of vague phrasings which don't stand up to any scrutiny..

Is someone coming from northside such as Finglas going to be able to drive through the city centre to the southside in your concept or not?
Are they going to be able to drive to Grafton street \ Stephens green area and join up with vehicles coming from the southside?
And if so, how do you stop them driving on to the southside, as the southside cars do when they leave the area?

The question was asked by @Gordon Gekko and all there has been on the thread are evasions and vagueness.
"How exactly do you stop people driving across the city without messing with people driving into the city?"

These are basic questions, nobody seems capable of answering, except with more questions, and answers that contradict answers given to earlier questions.

Therefore the reasonable conclusion is that you can't, and it is disingenuous of politicians and those who support such a plan to pretend otherwise.
I haven't driven in Dub for 20yrs. But from memory, from Finglas one can drive the north circular and come out near the park Infirmary road. Then Cunningham road to Kilmanham and cross Liffey .Or cross the Liffey at Paddy Slattery pub capel st.
I thought the days of going up down O'Connell st for cars was over since Luas criss crossed O'Connell bridge.
Grafton st was pedrianised around 1980.

... the reasonable conclusion is that you can't, and it is disingenuous of politicians and those who support such a plan to pretend otherwise.
And there you have the nub of everything here.

People are getting wound up by a politician's airy-fairy promises ahead of an election.

I haven't driven in Dub for 20yrs. But from memory, from Finglas one can drive the north circular and come out near the park Infirmary road. Then Cunningham road to Kilmanham and cross Liffey .Or cross the Liffey at Paddy Slattery pub capel st.
I thought the days of going up down O'Connell st for cars was over since Luas criss crossed O'Connell bridge.
Grafton st was pedrianised around 1980.

How do you get to the car parks that serve Grafton Street and Stephens Green, post these proposed changes? Easier or more difficult?

Nobody is talking about driving up Grafton Street, but coming from the northside, parking in those car parks and shopping in that area. They do it at the moment.

And there you have the nub of everything here.

People are getting wound up by a politician's airy-fairy promises ahead of an election.
We're pointing out the airy-fairyness of it, that the impact will not be what they say it will be. It is dishonest of Ryan.

How do you get to the car parks that serve Grafton Street and Stephens Green, post these proposed changes?

You get the Luas?

If you read the plan it more or less closes off the quays to cars between say Heuston and Liberty Hall and any cars entering that area can only leave the same way, not being able to cross the Liffey. You can go around the car free area. Pearse St. will be two way allowing bus/taxi's into town and funneling cars out.

We're pointing out the airy-fairyness of it, that the impact will not be what they say it will be. It is dishonest of Ryan.
It's impact will be non-existent because it will die as an idea once the current cycle of elections is over.

You get the Luas?

If you read the plan it more or less closes off the quays to cars between say Heuston and Liberty Hall and any cars entering that area can only leave the same way, not being able to cross the Liffey. You can go around the car free area. Pearse St. will be two way allowing bus/taxi's into town and funneling cars out.
So it messes with people driving into the city, to access parts of the city to shop etc.

Exactly what was said and people objecting to furiously in contradiction of what is proposed for ... reasons.

If I go into Dublin city to shop I drive. There's no alternative unless I want to carry bags around all day. I usually do so before Christmas with the kids. We come from the South Side and park in Jervis as I prefer that side of the city and Arnott's is vastly superior to Brown Thomas as a department store. If we want to go to Grafton Street we walk, it's less than one kilometre and takes around 10 minutes. Public transport takes twice as long and involves a longer walk. Dublin City Centre is small and, in my opinion, the problem is that the main car parks are actually too close to the city centre.

How do you get to the car parks that serve Grafton Street and Stephens Green, post these proposed changes? Easier or more difficult?
So your questions are basically how do we do the things that we have always done without any impact to anyone at all?

So your questions are basically how do we do the things that we have always done without any impact to anyone at all?
No, the questions about the impact of the changes are pointing out Ryan is being dishonest here pretending this wouldn't impact cars trying to get into the city to shop.
It is a lie saying it will just impact people "traversing" the city.

Hence the question, not mine:

So people should stop pretending it won't mess with people driving into the city, and trying to evade it with more questions or vagueness.

In the absence of specifics, people are now just making assumptions and getting worked up based on their own assumptions.
Seems like this is a perfectly valid question to get to those specifics:

Seems like this is a perfectly valid question to get to those specifics:

Well, it's a reasonable question to pose to someone with detailed knowledge of the proposals and how they will operate. I don't think anyone on here has seen detailed proposals. There is a suggestion of banning access to College Green or certain areas on the Quays, but the official line is that they only expect to publish proposals by August.

Nobody is talking about driving up Grafton Street, but coming from the northside, parking in those car parks and shopping in that area. They do it at the moment.
havent been there in 20yrs. How would you get to Stephens green presently?. Can you drive down oconnell st and somehow get there?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back