Dublin City Centre - Car Restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you really think people buying a lot of items are going to park in Jervis and walk to Grafton Street?
Absolutely. I've done it many times.
Apparently if you are from Finglas you shouldn't be looking to shop in Grafton street or Stephens Green.
You obviously don't like walking if you think that is an issue! Do you really think anyone who comes up to Dublin for a days shopping (or visit for any other reason) doesn't walk across town? Any time we go to Dublin we would park on one side and walk across town. To suggest that you're somehow being denied an opportunity to enter the city center now is frankly ridiculous.

Then perhaps stop bringing it up, and stop pretending that plans to remove cars from parts of the city centre equates to drovers being 'prohibited' from the city.

The term woke is almost universally used in a derogatory manner, meant as a term of disapprovement often in reference to people of extreme views. I'm a long way off being woke and I'm no environmentalist, but I'm still very much in favour of significantly reducing private cars in more areas of Dublin.

What evidence do you have to support the assertion that very few people support a reduction in the number of private cars in the city centre? Most people here seem to be in favour, and AAM isn't exactly an environmentalist collective!

There is a clear anti car agenda and drive to eliminate cars from the city. Surely you’re not disputing this?

Coming from the southside I always cross over to Jervis side and shop in both districts..there's no Penny's on the southside for example. And with the redevelopment of Clery's, I might also nip into Decathlon when it opens too. It is 100 times less exhausting than traipsing around Dundrum tbh!

“Pedant in ‘it’s not everyone unless it’s 100% of people’ shocker”
If you were running a coach trip of 20 people and 16 turned up for the ride home, you would leave without the other 4 because you're a fool, and I would wait for the other 4 because I'm a pedant.

Absolutely. I've done it many times.

You obviously don't like walking if you think that is an issue! Do you really think anyone who comes up to Dublin for a days shopping (or visit for any other reason) doesn't walk across town? Any time we go to Dublin we would park on one side and walk across town. To suggest that you're somehow being denied an opportunity to enter the city center now is frankly ridiculous.
I've walked across town but not when I've been carrying items that I'd need a car for. Limited to what I could carry home on a two bus journey, certainly far less than could be managed in a day's shopping at a shopping centre with trolley \ car access. And less than could be managed if I have to get it on foot from Grafton Street to a northside car park.

Which is the point about people driving into town to spend money. If you are stopping people getting through the city centre as outlined, you are also stopping people getting to parts of the city in a car depending on where you are coming from.

Let's not pretend otherwise.

Last edited:
If you are stopping people getting through the city centre as outlined, you are also stopping people getting to parts of the city in a car depending on where you are coming from.
No - you're not stopping them getting to parts of the city depending on where they come from. Whether you're coming from Finglas or Dundrum you can still go to the same places. Just making them take a different route.

No - you're not stopping them getting to parts of the city depending on where they come from. Whether you're coming from Finglas or Dundrum you can still go to the same places. Just making them take a different route.
How? That contradicts other comments on the thread.

So how do you stop them from taking a different route to get through the city rather than merely across to another part of it?

If I can get to Stephens Green from Finglas (or Dundrum), what's to stop me driving onto Dundrum (or Finglas) ?

There is a clear anti car agenda and drive to eliminate cars from the city. Surely you’re not disputing this?
Again, who in any position of authority is proposing a prohibition of all private cars from the cite centre?

I don't agree there is any agenda to eliminate cars, I have not seen a single elected or LA figure state that as a goal.

Again, who in any position of authority is proposing a prohibition of all private cars from the cite centre?

I don't agree there is any agenda to eliminate cars, I have not seen a single elected or LA figure state that as a goal.
Stop being pedantic. When he says 'eliminate', he doesn't mean 'eliminate'. Honestly!

Reactions: Leo
How? That contradicts other comments on the thread.

So how do you stop them from taking a different route to get through the city rather than merely across to another part of it?

If I can get to Stephens Green from Finglas (or Dundrum), what's to stop me driving onto Dundrum (or Finglas) ?
Not following.

You said... "you are stopping people getting to parts of the city in a car depending on where you are coming from."

Can you give me an example of a scenario where someone might be stopped from getting to a destination depending on where they are coming from?

How do you get from, say, Clonskeagh, to Parnell St?
Bus?
Know its not ideal when you buy that sofa in Arnotts but what can you do. You can squeeze it on...
Wait a second, why doesn't someone set up a home delivery service???

The idea to stop cars using the city centre as a way to go from northside to Southside (only ever one way traffic) is a great idea. But only if public transport was in place. Otherwise people will continue to use cars and the traffic just moves to another area. They need to build the metro and extend dart before doing things like this. People just don't believe they will deliver public transport.

I know Wexford well and it’s a far nicer place to spend time since they restricted car access.
Indeed, when the North and South main streets had cars queing for "shopping" , the experience was, horrible and polution from exhaust terrible health wise. Today Wexford town is a thriving tourist town, and the pedestrianised Main St is very nice. One can park, and walk and yes, at Christmas time many a person can be seen humping boxes around to their cars, but at least away from the Main street.

Many cities in Europe steer cars away from the centre and in England Oxford city has no cars in the very centre. A similar arguement about the new motorways M8/M7 resulting in the death of towns like Cahir and Cashel turned out to be wide of the mark. One of the reasons for not planning for motorway service stations was to direct "passing" motorway traffic back into the towns that had been bypassed to help garages etc. NEedless to say common sense has now been applied and motorway service stations have been planned for, the business have re-invented themselves given time.

The bypassed towns of Macroom, Youghal and Croom Dugarvan are much much nicer places for their inhabitants than 20-30 years ago when they were very dirty depressing places. Not everything in a town or city is there for benefit of shops.

Of course there is a anti-car agenda. Its a 1-x equation, for too long x has been very small. For too long, DCC et al mistoke Dublin for Detroit and thought it was Motown. Except, of course we didnt get rich from manufacturing cars for a 100 yrs for most of the globe.

Dublin should be a placing for living, not just shopping. The city would be much safer if more people went there, rather than exiting as the night curfew draws in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back