Dublin Airport performing comparatively well

There is absolutely no need for a metro.
The Metro is an essential part of a bigger public transport future for Dublin. It’s about building a network to facilitate all sorts of journeys, not simple A-B or A-C thinking.

Literally every comparable European capital has one.

A metro is a even more essential given the difficulty of building new housing. If we can’t build houses we might as well make the existing ones easier to get between.

How long does it take to get into the centre of the city from Dublin Airport by bus?
How long does it take to get to Heuston Station by bus?

Brendan
At best, I think this is short-term thinking. Busconnects is the current dogma when it comes to Dublin's transport problems. But even busconnects own proponents admit that it will, literally, run out of road in a decade or so, and be unable to meet future requirements. So, eventually, we're gonna need a metro. But, in the meantime, for the sake of this flawed busconnects plan, we're going to chop down mature trees, corral cars into fewer and fewer lanes, migrate bus lanes onto footpaths and build 'floating' bus stops between those footpaths and the roadway. Elegant solution it ain't.

Obviously, the best time to have started building a metro was years ago. But we didn't. The next best time to start is right now. The longer we leave it, the more expensive it's gonna get, and the more horrible the intervening congestion and chaos will be.

That was 5 years ago. I am sure the cost has gone way up in the meantime.

I am a huge supporter of public transport and cycling. But the metrolink is a trophy project and a very expensive one at that which will do very little for visitors to Ireland or other road users. It will probably encourage a few more cars on the road so car drivers won't end up any better off.

How long does it take to get into the centre of the city from Dublin Airport by bus?
How long does it take to get to Heuston Station by bus?

Brendan
Ah, you’re wrong Brendan. Business people and tourists can’t be expected to get the bus. This isn’t Calcutta. It’s a farce that we don’t have a Metro or tram or train.

(Calcutta probably has a Metro!)

I don’t know how you can claim that it’ll do very little for visitors or road users. People could get the Metro to all of the offices in town or to Grafton Street/St Stephen’s Green. It would be superb.

Much better than the Metro :

The buses take people to different places all over Dublin , and the major cities.

Brendan
I was recently heading off for the weekend and decided to get the bus rather than my usual drive + short term car park. It took longer to get from Sandyford to Dublin Airport than Dublin Airport to Germany. Everyone’s circumstances are different depending on where you live but next time I’ll be back in the car. Nothing like arriving home and cruising past the confused tourists looking for the train station and the 90 people in a queue for the taxi rank, into my own car and onto the M50 for a handy 35 minute spin home.

Business people and tourists can’t be expected to get the bus.

Business people tend to take taxis I would have thought.

Tourists will take whatever option is the quickest. A bus into town from the airport is quick. Maybe a metro would reduce it by 5 minutes if it were going to the exact spot the tourist wants to go to.

Brendan

Business people tend to take taxis I would have thought.

Tourists will take whatever option is the quickest. A bus into town from the airport is quick. Maybe a metro would reduce it by 5 minutes if it were going to the exact spot the tourist wants to go to.

Brendan
When they can get them. They tend not to know the ‘Zone 18’ Free Now thing and end up queuing at the rank which can be problematic at times.

Versus, say, the Heathrow Express or Elizabeth Line.

I travelled to London Gatwick on Friday. Ryanair via T1. I was through security within 5 minutes of entering the airport. On the way back I was through passport control and out within 10 minutes of landing. Gatwick, though far less busy, was chaotic. Dublin really is a very well run airport.

We should have a metro to the airport. It's embarrassing that we don't.

We should have a metro to the airport. It's embarrassing that we don't.

Forget about concepts like "everyone else has one" and "it's embarrassing".

What would be the benefit in times to reach the city centre? That is the key metric.

Brendan

Forget about concepts like "everyone else has one" and "it's embarrassing".

What would be the benefit in times to reach the city centre? That is the key metric.

Brendan
It's a key part of an integrated public transport system. That's the key metric. You don't build one wall of a house and then say it's a waste of money because it won't hold up the roof.

In a city the size of Dublin the number of potential journeys rounds to infinity.

The feasibility studies for Metro North and Metrolink have not hinged on making journeys from airport to city centre faster although that is part of the benefit.

I am reluctant to personalise but a well-known objector to underground rail in Dublin has one of the finest addresses in the city and has all amenities and potential places of work within a 25 minute walk.

Meanwhile a baggage handler living in Cabra has to take two buses to work or drive. There are many more of the latter type of person and they don't have the benefit of a newspaper column for many years.

This isn’t Calcutta. It’s a farce that we don’t have a Metro or tram or train.

(Calcutta probably has a Metro!)
It does! 47 km of Metro and as much again being built.

That was 5 years ago. I am sure the cost has gone way up in the meantime.
Ah here, Brendan! Colm McCarthy is on the record as opposing Luas and the Dart. Imagine Dublin now without either. :eek:

I am a huge supporter of public transport and cycling. But the metrolink is a trophy project and a very expensive one at that which will do very little for visitors to Ireland or other road users.
How come almost every other city of Dublin's size has come to the opposite conclusion? Are they all wrong?

Look, you have a point. On its own, a Swords - Dublin line isn't a panacea. But as part of an integrated rapid transit system with Dart interconnector, and a plethora of other lines, Maynooth, Navan, Naas, etc, it is essential. We are literally running out of road if we don't. There's a limit to how much road space you can take from cars, no matter how much the green lobby thinks otherwise.

Deal with the arguments in his article, rather than attacking the author.
Someone has a decades-long track record (no pun intended) of opposing all rail-based infrastructure for Dublin. Infrastructure which is by now used by hundreds of thousands of people daily and no one would dream of tearing up. I think it's bias and should be called out as such.

On almost every other topic I agree with him and think he's great BTW!

On almost every other topic I agree with him and think he's great BTW!

Me too! In the past I particularly enjoyed his arguments regarding the interminable waste of taxpayers' funds on the Official Language! But I fear that that battle has been lost.

I fail to see why Brendan believes that "the benefit in times to reach the city centre is the key metric." Surely its only drug smugglers rushing from the airport to supply stock to their pusher who works the Liffey Boardwalk who are concerned with that metric?

What is that?
I wasn't aware of it.

Brendan
You can use Free Now to be collected at the airport. They meet you in Zone 18. As you come out of T2 Arrivals there’s an outdoor escalator on the left. It’s about 80 metres from the bottom. I just hit Free Now at Customs.

Back