Dublin Airport performing comparatively well

Brendan Burgess

Founder

Best 10 Airports in Europe for On-Time Departures (July 2022)​

Bank holiday getaway

Dublin International Airport has the 4th best on-time stats in Europe.
Photographer: Damien Storan - PA Images/PA Images
Bergamo/Orio al Serio Airport (BGY)
Bergamo, Italy
3% delayed, 1.0% canceled

Gran Canaria Airport (LPA)
Gran Canaria, Spain
8% delayed, 0.3% canceled

Otopeni International Airport (OTP)
Bucharest, Romania
10% delayed, 1.7% canceled

Dublin International Airport (DUB)
Dublin, Ireland
15% delayed, 1.6% canceled

Fontanarossa Airport (CTA)
Catania, Italy
16% delayed, 1.1% canceled

Adolfo Suarez-Barajas Airport (MAD)
Madrid, Spain
19% delayed, 0.4% canceled

Alicante Airport (ALC)
Province of Alicante, Spain
20% delayed, 3.4% canceled

Marseille Airport (MRS)
Marseille, France
20% delayed, 2.0% canceled

Orly Field (ORY)
Paris, France
21% delayed, 1.2% canceled

Malaga Airport (AGP)
Malaga, Spain
24% delayed, 3.3% canceled

https://www.bloomberg.com/tips/

In my experience Dublin Airport T2 is very well run. T1 not as good but better than most and far better than most UK and Mainland airports.

The problems in Dublin airport weren't flight delays though, but passenger delays... would like to see the stats on missed departures.

There is still massive piles of luggage unaccounted for.
They even got brought in befour a committee too find out what is happening with luggage.

1 DAA has asked people who have not pre-booked car park space not to bring their cars to the airport as all carparks there are booked out.
2. I read yesterday of taxi drivers appealing to people to desist from collecting arrival passengers at the Departures entrance.
3. All Irish airports outside of Dublin are under-used. I listened to a radio broadcaster two days ago who said it took him 12 minutes to get from the front door of Shannon Airport to airside and the delay was that he humorously discussed the recent Limerick hurling game with a security person.
4. The complaining of residents near the new runway in Dublin Airport is not going away.

The elephant in the room:- Dublin Airport has got too big for easy use. DAA owns Cork Airport. It's about time it "diverted" some more destinations to Cork and other airports. Incidentally, the carparks in Cork airport are usually near empty.

The obvious problem with that, though, is nobody from Dublin wants to get off a plane in Cork to face a 2.5 hour car journey.

The taxi drivers’ point is laughable. Lots of people simply can’t afford their high fares and lots of other people simply don’t want to deal with their antics (e.g. making a song and dance about card payments, etc).

Last edited:
2. I read yesterday of taxi drivers appealing to people to desist from collecting arrival passengers at the Departures entrance.

The taxi drivers’ point is laughable.

Departures can be chaotic. They should be just set down only. (But not sure what to do if you are collecting someone and the car parks are full?)

I don't think it has anything to do with taxis singing and dancing?

I think if we had a credible means of getting to and from the airport (e.g. a Metro), then it’d be reasonable to give people grief for collecting family/friends at the drop-off point. But we don’t, and taxis can be expensive, sometimes even more than the flight. The airport is an embarrassment in my view. Most people’s first experience of this country, and that awkward moment when they ask “so how do I get to the city centre?”.

Private (family / friends) pick ups can be made much easier.

Designate a free waiting location within a 10min driving radius. Barrier / card operated so its free for say 30mins only.

Section off one area for private pick up, arriving passenger rings driver & driver swings around. Again debit card controlled, free for 10 mins only, so no hanging around.

I don't pretend to know the layout of Dublin Airport so how easy or hard it might be to implement is another story - but a similar system is in place in airports elsewhere.

Designate a free waiting location within a 10min driving radius. Barrier / card operated so its free for say 30mins only.

Section off one area for private pick up, arriving passenger rings driver & driver swings around. Again debit card controlled, free for 10 mins only, so no hanging around.

I don't pretend to know the layout of Dublin Airport so how easy or hard it might be to implement is another story - but a similar system is in place in airports elsewhere.
That would be too sensible.

These are the idiots who machine-gunned their experienced staff during Covid, replaced them with Yellow-Packers, and then wept like babies at last year’s scenes of chaos “it’s not our fault!”.

Utter clowns.

So let's see. We have:
1. A state owned airport, without a rail link to the city centre, without adequate car parking and whose revenue is regulated, ie capped, by the state.

2. A minister for transport who absolutely hates aviation and wants us to walk and cycle everywhere.

Not too hard to join the dots, is it?

There's already plenty of free waiting places to park within 5 minutes of the terminal, if you care to look.

Hardly necessary. You can easily swing by departures and pick up your passengers. There's four/five lanes, giving adequate space for both arriving and departing passenger collection/dropoff.
Lack of space for pickup and drop off isn't the problem - lack of rapid transit links (not buses!) and car parking is.

We use a bus service to and from Dublin Airport a few times yearly. We've never had problems with being delivered or collected, but then again Mrs Lep and I always obey the rules. Many Motorists do not. The Metro seems to be the way to go for Dublin Airport, but when can we expect that to be completed? Read my lips:- Some current destinations from Dublin need to be farmed out to other airports and fast.

I think if we had a credible means of getting to and from the airport (e.g. a Metro), then it’d be reasonable to give people grief for collecting family/friends at the drop-off point. But we don’t, and taxis can be expensive, sometimes even more than the flight. The airport is an embarrassment in my view. Most people’s first experience of this country, and that awkward moment when they ask “so how do I get to the city centre?”.

Interesting to read in yesterday's Business Post that there's a shiny new Metro Station just waiting to be brought into use beneath Terminal 2!

It's more than simply a shame that it takes us so long to join the dots. It's a ruddy national disgrace.

Benefits of Metro for Dublin are much wider than a rail link to Dublin Airport. And even more when in place rail connections rarely account for more than 20% of passengers to/from any airport.

Still, it would be nice if they could start digging one of these decades……

Back