Don't bother trying to pay your household charge yet - the site isn't work properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks

This thread is about paying the property tax.

There are plenty of other threads about not paying it

I have had to delete off topic posts.

Please stay on topic.

brendan

Under the Interpretation Act the Long Title has no interpretatory status in relation to guiding the Court at to the rights and liabilities conveyed under legislation.

Unless, of course, there is an express provision in the enabling legislation making the owner personally liable to pay this tax.

In any case, there is no discernable reason as to why provision of a PPSN would be reasonably necessary to enable the Revenue Commissioners to process this tax. Remember, this information would be provided along with the payment and not where a home-owner has defaulted.

This is a prying exercise to collect information for the purposes of future recovery of taxes.

To Pugwall:

The fuss will be next year - or in a few years time when you have retired and the tax is the equivalent of €1,000. They will have your PPSN and will be able to extract it directly from your IR€1,000,000 pw (approx D€15) pension if you haven't paid by the due date.

I signed up for DD yesterday no hitches. I'm a bit surprised that people are paying it outright. I opted for the DD on the basis that inflation (if that still exists) will reduce it, and I'll save 20 cents on interest! Miserable sod that I am. Funny tho, the DD doesn't kick until March? Here's the schedule for anyone interested:

13/03/2012
14/05/2012
13/07/2012
10/09/2012

I registered and paid earlier with no issues. I found the instructions to be clear and the process took less than 3 minutes to complete. I don't know what the fuss is about!
Registration worked fine for me but I was unable to set up DD payment even after entering all details correctly and using an account that already supports many DDs/SOs. That's what my fuss is about anyway.

I paid my household charge two days ago or so I thought but no money has been charged yet - has anyone else had this problem. I paid it outright by Visa but it has not shown up. Are they just slow to deduct it?

Speculative Bronte. We don't know what it will be, we do know what it is and the penalty far outweighs any miniscule advantage to hanging onto €100 for three months. Even if it went to €1000 the interest it would attract in 3 months would be paltry

I guarantee you the charge will rise. There is probably going to be an emergency budget this year for a starter. Once they have everybody registered that will set the ball rolling.

It is far preferable to have payments in my deposit account rather than paying all bills 3 months in advance, I don't know anybody who does that other then apparently loads of people on AAM. Do you all regularly pay your bills 3 months or more in advance?

In relation to the PPSN number, in the future when revenue start collecting the late payment charges it will be easy for them to see who has or hasn't paid with the PPSN number. And revenue will not be bothering to do this for a few years when the penalties will be massive. In addition on death no doubt there will be a rule that before an estate is disposed of that this charge has been paid, cross check with the PPSN number and hey presto tax windfall for revenue. All very good reasons to pay the tax.

In relation to the actual computer system for paying, no doubt towards the end of March the system will collapse and the deadline for payment will be pushed out.

If you are interested - there is a formula for checking valid pps numbers -

"
In reverse order, each digit is multiplied by a weight, 2, 3, and so on until the first digit is multiplied by 8. Add up each result. Divide by 23 and the remainder (modulus 23) will indicate the character position on the alphabet.
Thus the PPS number 1234567 will be calculated as the sum of 7*2, 6*3, 5*4, 4*5, 3*6, 2*7 and 1*8. This 112 when divided by 23 leaves a remainder of 20. The twentieth letter of the English alphabet is 'T'. The correct PPS number is therefore 1234567T. Where the remainder is zero, the check letter is W"
Interesting - well, at least to a geek like me! :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Public_Service_Number#Check_Character

I see that expansion of the PPSN numbering system is also planned for 2013:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Public_Service_Number#Expansion

(Apologies if this is off topic...)

Very interesting about how to create PPSN numbers. Why on earth are people putting false one's when they make the household charge payment?

pconsidine seems to be the only one here who tried to put in a fake PPSN and just did so as a test rather than based on any obvious paranoia...

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showpost.php?p=1231998&postcount=52

This post
To Pugwall:

The fuss will be next year - or in a few years time when you have retired and the tax is the equivalent of €1,000. They will have your PPSN and will be able to extract it directly from your IR€1,000,000 pw (approx D€15) pension if you haven't paid by the due date.

sounds like paranoia to me.

Another interesting thing on the official website is it says you are liable for 12 years. Does this mean that if you don't pay for say 30 years they write off the first 18 and you pay for the last 12?

It is far preferable to have payments in my deposit account rather than paying all bills 3 months in advance, I don't know anybody who does that other then apparently loads of people on AAM. Do you all regularly pay your bills 3 months or more in advance?
I think this is probably a difference of interpretation. As I read it the charge is due now and there is a grace period of three months to pay it. As a rule I pay when the bill arrives I don't wait for the last minute as I am liable to and have in the past forgotten bills. Not likely with this one but easier to be consistent :)

In relation to the PPSN number, in the future when revenue start collecting the late payment charges it will be easy for them to see who has or hasn't paid with the PPSN number. And revenue will not be bothering to do this for a few years when the penalties will be massive. In addition on death no doubt there will be a rule that before an estate is disposed of that this charge has been paid, cross check with the PPSN number and hey presto tax windfall for revenue. All very good reasons to pay the tax.

But there are far more PPSNs issued then there are people liable to pay this tax.

In relation to the actual computer system for paying, no doubt towards the end of March the system will collapse and the deadline for payment will be pushed out.

Woukdn't surprise me, it is a very short lead time for registering the numbers they are looking for, especially if registration continues to be as flaky.

Those paying by d/d should be aware that their Bank will charge a fee for setting up the direct debit...

Registration worked fine for me but I was unable to set up DD payment even after entering all details correctly and using an account that already supports many DDs/SOs. That's what my fuss is about anyway.
They called me this evening to say that there was a bug in their system whereby it was not accepting some or all PTSB account details for DD purposes. They have fixed it now.

Thought it was the Local Government Computer Services Board who developed the system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back