Don't bother trying to pay your household charge yet - the site isn't work properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why people on a money website would pay this charge 3 months early is beyond me. The money should be left on deposit until the last moment.

Why people on a money website would pay this charge 3 months early is beyond me. The money should be left on deposit until the last moment.
Agree in principal - but €100 on deposit for 3 months - DIRT ?

I'm not even going to compute it....other than to say, if people lead busy lives (which the vast majority of us do), better to forego the interest and make sure its paid on time rather then get caught up on the savage interest penalties that they have in place.

Speculative Bronte. We don't know what it will be, we do know what it is and the penalty far outweighs any miniscule advantage to hanging onto €100 for three months. Even if it went to €1000 the interest it would attract in 3 months would be paltry

A more obvious reason for paying later is to see how this pans out.

Things may well change if there is enough public opposition to this unfair tax.

After several failed attempts I managed to register my property on the website. That captcha is a pain and proved very hard to make out.

I won't be paying the €100 until 31st March, I don't pay any bill 12 weeks in advance.

I registered earlier today and that went smoothly enough. I then tried to set up my direct debit details but it told me:

"The account details you provided did not pass our strict validation
procedures. This may be because you made a data entry error and you can try
again by selecting the Previous button.

However it may also be because your account is unsuitable for Direct Debit
payments or that the account requires mutliple signaturaries."
even thought it's a regular current account, I definitely entered the details correctly, I answered "yes" to the four additional questions on the page, it has a bunch of DDs/SOs already set up and in my sole name so multiple signaturaries (sic.) are not required.

This evening when I tried to see again if I could set up the DD I keep getting this when I try to login:

There was an issue processing your request.

To return to the homepage of the Household charge System please click here
Update: oh - I guess I must've been getting entering CAPTCHA stuff incorrectly. They can be difficult to work out.

Bit of a mess alright... :(

I won't be paying the €100 until 31st March, I don't pay any bill 12 weeks in advance.
Surely paying by quarterly DD would be a better idea so as it allows you to pay 25% in advance and 75% in arrears? Although the specific timing of the quarterly DD payments does not seem to be clarified anywhere - I'd assume end of March, June, September and December?

Update 2: oh - DD dates clarified here and they are not quarterly.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/household_charge.html#ld1a9a

• 13 March 2012
  • 14 May 2012
  • 13 July 2012
  • 10 September 2012

Well, like a good citizen I logged on today to pay it. Put in all the info they ask for, site was very slow. Then at the end they tell you that there is a problem and they send you all the way back to the start!!! I suppose it IS an Irish webite, so you don't really expect any better (ah, shure, it'll be fine). So, to hell with all that, I'll wait until the legal letters start arriving, then phone them and tell them I tried to pay but couldn't and maybe they could send someone round to collect the dough........

Well, like a good citizen I logged on today to pay it. Put in all the info they ask for, site was very slow. Then at the end they tell you that there is a problem and they send you all the way back to the start!!! I suppose it IS an Irish webite, so you don't really expect any better (ah, shure, it'll be fine). So, to hell with all that, I'll wait until the legal letters start arriving, then phone them and tell them I tried to pay but couldn't and maybe they could send someone round to collect the dough........

I wonder what the legal position on that is? Especially if you had a printed/dated screenshot of the error.

I went to pay my €100 on-line today. However, the website demanded personal information such as my phone number and PPN. Nothing in the enabling legislation requires that I provide this information. This is a PROPERTY tax, attaching to residential property. It is NOT a PERSONAL tax.
As an experiment I entered a fictitious PPN number. The site demanded I insert my correct number. It is obvious that there is a connection to the PPN database embedded in this site. How bloody dare they!
I would strongly advise against paying the charge through this site until they remove these objectionable questions.
I will now be paying my €100 by cheque addressed to "Household Charge", P.O. Box 12168, Dublin 1. This cheque will be accompanied by the address of my residence and demand for a receipt. They are legally entitled to nothing else. Nada. Zilch.

Anyone for a Tea Party?

P. Considine.

There is no logic to that statement at all. By that reasoning no-one would ever pay any bill / tax on time, to forestall price / tax increases...

I actually agree with you about not seeing what people's hurry to pay is, as I'd prefer to hang onto my €100 as long as possible (unless I expected rampant inflation!).

Why is it to be paid within 3 months? is it a ruse to get all properties on a register and to bring in a second budget in June in order to get a second 100€.

Is the register going to be scrutinised in advance of the next budget in order to maximise the return from next years round of increases?

Don't get me wrong, I pay the NPPR and other related taxes, but what is knocking me since the start of the year are the increases in all sectors of the economy that are way in excess of the rate of inflation and yet no one is kicking up a fuss about it.
I did raise the NPPR and "Household charge" with my TD last tuesday and asked him to explain the difference. He told me there is none.

Last edited:
Anyone for a Tea Party?
Tea Party, a party directly elected with a mandate for legislative change and reform in all areas...(sorry, won't go any further off thread topic).

Tried again just now - like everyone else, can't get it sorted.

Nothing in the enabling legislation requires that I provide this information
Well section 11b covers the PPSN, but the phone number seems to be their own initiative.
(b) a local authority shall, at such intervals as the Revenue Commissioners may specify, provide the Revenue Commissioners with such information obtained by the local authority pursuant to this Act, including tax reference numbers, as the Revenue Commissioners may reasonably require for the purpose of enabling them to perform their functions under a specified enactment
“tax reference number” means— (a) in relation to an individual, that individual’s personal public service number (within the meaning of section 262 of the Act of 2005),

As an experiment I entered a fictitious PPN number. The site demanded I insert my correct number. It is obvious that there is a connection to the PPN database embedded in this site. How bloody dare they!

Or your random check character was wrong and didn't pass validation.

while I intend to pay the charge at some stage in the next 3 month, I find it amusing that in order for there to be full compliace, 17.7k households need to register every single day for 90 days in a row.

This isn't the pay-and-file self-assessment deadline
It isn't the 2nd home charge

They only affected a smaller % of the population. They haven't to my mind every collected a charge like this before, completely on the expectation of everyone being compliant.

What are they up to so far? Even allowing for the wave of people who always pay bills and taxes promptly, they've barely reached 1/3 of the daily level they need to be at, and they advertise the heck out of it - they are depending on it garthering momentem of its own.

Mass non-compliance on the cards, if for example they don't reach perhaps 250,000 by the end of the month? Will the legal charges & administration to chase non-compliance out-weight the tax taken

To Berni:

And how will having my PPSN specifically enable the government or its emanations perform its functions in relation to a property tax?

I''m all ears. (When you answer, pretend you're arguing the Revenue Commissioner's case in responce to my judicial review before the High Court)

Until I hear a good argument to the contrary I hold to my contention that there is no legislative authority to allow these people demand this information.

P. Considine

To sahd:

No, it won't accept a random number of the sort you used as an example. I tried twice with a fictitious number containing the appropriate number of digits followed by a letter (Actually, my real PPNS with three numbers altered.

Not being an officer of the Revenue, their inner workings are a mystery to me :)
However, I would expect that the opening line of the legislation holds a clue as to why your ppsn is required:
AN ACT TO REQUIRE THE OWNERS OF CERTAIN RESIDENTIAL PROPERTIES TO PAY AN ANNUAL HOUSEHOLD CHARGE

Also, the ppsn sahd provided isn't random, it's valid. Changing a couple of digits of your own would break the checksum.

I registered and paid earlier with no issues. I found the instructions to be clear and the process took less than 3 minutes to complete. I don't know what the fuss is about!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back