Donegal Crash: Respect for the dead?

My own personal opinion is that the Passat struck the Megane at speed, lost control ( airbags deployed?) and then wobbled, skidded to a halt further up the road on the wrong side, with the passenger side facing oncoming traffic. The Corolla then came around the corner at a 'normal' speed and colided side on with the Passat, pushing it back down the road and into the ditch, with the Corolla landing on top of the Passat.

If the lady in the Megane was ok I don't think the Passat could have been travelling at an excessive speed when it hit her. Going from your post Colin I think it's possible that the Passat was doing a normal speed but simply lost control of the car due to the number of people in it. All speculation.

This fact is well known. But the question has yet to be answered whether the initial impact was caused by the Passat being on the wrong side and hitting the Megane, or if the Megane was on the wrong side of the white line, causing the Passat to collide with it as it did.

Locals have reported that a lady driving to Buncrana saw the woman, who she knew, in the Megane and stopped to ask if she was ok. While talking, both of them then heard the impact of the other two cars around the corner. This could also suggest that the Passat was stopped or stopping as the time taken for this meeting to come about and then the impact afetrwards would suggest minute(s) between the initial impact and the final one. The excessive speed reported by the pasat would not afford that much of a time difference, considering the final impact was 150 metres up the road.

My own personal opinion is that the Passat struck the Megane at speed, lost control ( airbags deployed?) and then wobbled, skidded to a halt further up the road on the wrong side, with the passenger side facing oncoming traffic. The Corolla then came around the corner at a 'normal' speed and colided side on with the Passat, pushing it back down the road and into the ditch, with the Corolla landing on top of the Passat.

This is all however speculation and cannot be backed up with evidence from any reports, other than local knowledge. The real details should emerge as time goes on.

1st - the front wheel of the Megane was actually ripped off by the Passat. Surely this would confirm that there was a lot of force (and by definition, speed) involved in that 1st collision.

2nd - Have the authorities not already said there was a combined speed of 140kmh or mph in the crash between the Passat and the Corolla? If you think the Passat was sitting at a halt, then you are claiming the pensioner in the Corolla was doing all the speed? Not possible surely.

From the reports from the emergency services saying that this was the worst car crash scene some had seen in their life, it must have been a horrific sight, and one which obviously involved massive speeds and carnage. I know its pointless guessing what happened until its actually published, but you have got to think that the Passat was the guilty car in all of this.

1st - the front wheel of the Megane was actually ripped off by the Passat. Surely this would confirm that there was a lot of force (and by definition, speed) involved in that 1st collision.

2nd - Have the authorities not already said there was a combined speed of 140kmh or mph in the crash between the Passat and the Corolla? If you think the Passat was sitting at a halt, then you are claiming the pensioner in the Corolla was doing all the speed? Not possible surely.

From the reports from the emergency services saying that this was the worst car crash scene some had seen in their life, it must have been a horrific sight, and one which obviously involved massive speeds and carnage. I know its pointless guessing what happened until its actually published, but you have got to think that the Passat was the guilty car in all of this.

Indeed, but the ONLY fact known so far about the incident is that the Passat was overloaded. The rest is rumour, chinese whispers and hearsay.

A combined speed of 140km/hr is not huge.

Indeed, but the ONLY fact known so far about the incident is that the Passat was overloaded. The rest is rumour, chinese whispers and hearsay.

A combined speed of 140km/hr is not huge.

Agree that we are hearing a lot of gossip and possibly untruths about this case. But thats to be expected.

I do think I read the combined speed was in mph NOT kmh. That would make a difference for sure. But not 100% sure of this.

And as you say a combined speed of 140kmh is not massive - would it have caused the carnage that the emergency services reported? Some of the reports about how these people died are truly frightening even if only half of it is true.

Back