Donating body to science

I wouldn't donate my body to medical science after seeing photos from friend who worked in a photo Lab. The photos showed students with the bodies propped up into a sitting position with their arms around the students. Others showed the bodies lying with the students posed with knives pretending to stab the body Dracula style. One particular one showed a donor body with a pipe in his mouth dressed in an old coat and scarf. He looked like a very odd snowman. Even though I was a young man myself I was shocked that this was allowed to happen. No respect or dignity was given to the body and it as just a laugh to the students!

I heard stories like that before. It's disrespectful of course but not entirely surprising. I'd hate to think that the corpse of anyone close to me would be subject to such ridicule and would definitely discourage any attempt to make such a gesture to society.

I wouldn't donate my body to medical science after seeing photos from friend who worked in a photo Lab. The photos showed students with the bodies propped up into a sitting position with their arms around the students. Others showed the bodies lying with the students posed with knives pretending to stab the body Dracula style. One particular one showed a donor body with a pipe in his mouth dressed in an old coat and scarf. He looked like a very odd snowman. Even though I was a young man myself I was shocked that this was allowed to happen. No respect or dignity was given to the body and it as just a laugh to the students!
When I met up with an old school friend who had done 1 year's dentistry training in TCD, he asked me 'were you one of the ones I brought in to mess with the dead bodies?'. I wasn't, as it happened.

The photos showed students with the bodies propped up into a sitting position with their arms around the students. Others showed the bodies lying with the students posed with knives pretending to stab the body Dracula style. One particular one showed a donor body with a pipe in his mouth dressed in an old coat and scarf. He looked like a very odd snowman.

That is rather horrifying.
Bodies for use for training purposes for medical/dentistry students were generally preserved in formaldahyde, so quite aside from the dis-respect, that would seem like a remarkably stupid thing to do.(ie the students would get covered with formaldehyde, as well as touching the dead bodies, which is a whole other aspect of horribleness.)

Nicola

Back