Dog knocked down - damage to car

Hi All,

Thanks for all your comments. I rang the people last night and after a long conversation I offered them 500 quid. They accepted (as I thought they might). I think some dog insurance is on the agenda!

Cheers,
Agwa

Good to know you got the matter sorted. I would like to know how the dog is. Was the dog badly injured?

Hi Megan,

The dog is totally fine - I'm convinced he's made of iron! He's an 8 month old long-haired German Shepherd by the way.
The Vet reckons it helped that the dog didn't see the car coming so he didn't tense up when the impact came. I also reckon the flimsy/plastic bumper absorbed a lot of the impact. If it was a van or a more solid car the dog would be dead - and I would also be dead (by my girlfriend!)

Cheers,
agwa

i get down the vet and get insured, you get a month free if applied for via vet, and sure you can do a check up at same time or ring him back and get covered

i have a long haired shep rough collie cross and a lab both have cut paws from glass in local green area and it cost me over € 700 in total for treatment, the shepkept pulling off bandages, i only had to pay €120 of this as excess

Hi Megan,

The dog is totally fine - I'm convinced he's made of iron! He's an 8 month old long-haired German Shepherd by the way.
The Vet reckons it helped that the dog didn't see the car coming so he didn't tense up when the impact came. I also reckon the flimsy/plastic bumper absorbed a lot of the impact. If it was a van or a more solid car the dog would be dead - and I would also be dead (by my girlfriend!)

Cheers,
agwa
Good to know the dog is ok. I know you have settle this claim with the driver. Had you thought of that the car bumper might have being damage before she hit the dog. I know of a case where a car/van was hit from behind by a young driver and the bumper was damage. The driver paid cash to the owner and the next day a delivery truck hit the same car/van before it was repaired. The delivery truck's Insurance arrange to have the car/van repaired. A nice little profit for the owner.

Good to know the dog is ok. I know you have settle this claim with the driver. Had you thought of that the car bumper might have being damage before she hit the dog. I know of a case where a car/van was hit from behind by a young driver and the bumper was damage. The driver paid cash to the owner and the next day a delivery truck hit the same car/van before it was repaired. The delivery truck's Insurance arrange to have the car/van repaired. A nice little profit for the owner.

I was wondering about this myself - seems strange the dog has had no ill effects whatsoever if he hit a bumper hard enough to break it. I know the bumper is plastic but the car behind it is metal. You imagine the dog would at least be bruised.

Hi Guys,

The dog was bruised and had an injection and a couple of tablets. He slept for a full day. When I say the dog is totally fine, I mean he's fine now. The car was pristine so I'm pretty sure it was caused by the collision. The bumpers on those cars look quite flimsy (which may well have saved the dog's life)

Cheers,
agwa

Mr Wishbone has had two minor knocks and on both occasions got the people to sign a letter we had stuck together along the terms, I accept this 500e as full and final payment for damage done to car make reg on the date and basically making sure they don't try to come back and sue...I do this all of my own free will blah blah blah...just to try to make it formal. Anyway just a thought. Glad to hear doggy OK.

I was wondering about this myself - seems strange the dog has had no ill effects whatsoever if he hit a bumper hard enough to break it. I know the bumper is plastic but the car behind it is metal. You imagine the dog would at least be bruised.
I had the misfortune to hit a hen-pheasant at about 50 mph. She ran out of the ditch on the drivers (my side) . There was a huge explosion of feathers and the plastic bumper and wheel-arch liner both broke. I think in modern cars these bits ARE designed to energy-absorbing and seem to deform at the least provocation. Mrs. Pheasant did not survive.

Back