Dog knocked down - damage to car

agwa

Hi All,

What are your opinions on the following events?

I opened the gate at the end of my girlfriend's driveway so I could drive out. through a sequence of unfortunate events, her dog ran out of the gate and got hit by a car. Unbelievably, the dog survived (I don't know how) but the car in question had it's bumper cracked (2004 Suzuki Liana).

Before I could get the dog to the Vets I had to deal with the woman who had hit the dog. I felt that as I opened the gate, it was my fault and so I took her number and told her I'd get the car fixed.

When the dust settled my girlfriend got in touch with the woman to see how she was and to tell her the dog was OK and that we'll pay to get the car fixed (I had only seen a small crack though I was in a bit of shock). The woman duly went to her dealer and got a quote of over €900 (plus they apparently charged her 50 quid for the quote!). The quote she got was for a brand new bumper to replace the cracked one.

We got a quote of less than half that to fix the crack. This will apparently be as good as new. It would also cost less to replace it with a second hand bumper (it is 2004 car after all).

These offers were dismissed out of hand and my girlfriend has just received an intimidating and abusive phone call from the woman's husband. Only a new bumper will suffice.

I'm of the opinion that we should pay to get the car fixed out of some sort of civic duty. But I'm not sure where we stand on their demands for a new bumper. The way he spoke to my girlfriend I want I feel like telling him to accept the fix or take us to court. Either that or I'll set the dog on him ;)

Anyone any advice?

Cheers,
Agwa

a guy bashed into my husband's car last week and a new bumper is part of the repairs - i think the bumper cost about€ 180 + vat MAX!!! you are so being ripped off there.

If it were my car '94 or not you are entitled to a new bumper if that's what you want. there may be a small charge by the garage to spray the bumper (if colour coded)

The dogs owner is always liable for damages caused by the dog, but it may be covered by your household insurance.

A new bumper for a Suzuki Liana is around 400. The rest was labour. I know it's very expensive for a lump of plastic!!

I'm just wondering, from a legal point of view, do drivers (myself included) not accept some risk when driving? I mean, what if it was a kid on a bike that came out of the driveway? The gate is at an entrance to a main road right at a large-ish roundabout so maybe the driver should have been driving a bit slower.

I want to get their car fixed - but I don't want to be held to ransom or have my girlfriend abused by some coward.

Cheers Towger.

I assumed that the dog owner would be liable - and rightly so. The grey area is do I have to get a bumper replaced or can it be fixed?

Who gets to choose?

i'm sure charging for a quote is the biggest pile of c**p i've ever heard of....

€ 500 to fix a bumper to a car is crazy that must be about 10 hours... what a rip off

The €908 quote is from the Suzuki garage. I believe the €50 for the quote is deducted from the final price.

aoc - I'm not going to pay that, as I agree with you - it's a rip off. You should see the crack in the car, it's tiny.

A friends bumper got tipped a few years ago -it was a new car and she got a new bumper the cheapest quote was about 900 -

the quote is riduculous, no arguement on that, however why should they accept a repair for something that was your fault? After all, if someone crashed into your car and damaged the bumper, would you accept the repair or would you expect the other person to replace the bumper

Why not try another Susuki dealer yourself and see what they would charge you?

I agree with the last post. It does'nt matter how old the car is, the third party is entitled to a new bumper. €900 does sound a bit excessive but bear in mind that the Suzuki garage does'nt do the repair themselves they send the car somewhere else and that their cut out of it.

Get a quote from a auto bodyshop. Should'nt cost no more than €600 if only the bumper needs to be replaced. It does take time to prepare the bumper, apply a couple of coats of paint, laquer, drying time and fitting.

hi, unfortunatley you are liable to fix or pay for the damages incurred. Good news is that you can argue the cost. If you can get a better cost somewhere else, within the vicinity of the area the claimant got the quote. If they do not accept this better price then they will have to bring you to small claims court.
Oh, and nobody pays for a quote to fix a bumper, thats pure fiction. Thats a matter between her and the garage in question. If the garage did charge that, well then surely €900 is an exageration also.

Cheers Bleary.

I fully accept that to buy a new bumper and to get it installed will cost 900.
I'm arguing that I don't need to get a new bumper - it can be fixed as good as new for half the cost. Does anyone think I'm being unreasonable?

Mpsox - this is more like it. If they took the car away got it fixed and it was as good as new I'd be happy with that. The caveat is that I'm a new driver and I have an old banger! If I'd get it back without noticng the difference then I'd be happy. In my opinion, she must also take some, however small, responsibility as she hit the dog. I'd be happy I didn't kill the dog and not even get it fixed (man, it's a tiny crack!)- but each to their own.

They won't accept a second-hand bumper either, which when lacquered etc will look like new. Their car is 4 years old so why isn't a second hand bumper (which may be newer than the car) acceptable?

Somebody mentioned that house insurance could cover it - it's complicated, she's minding the house for her uncle. They don't have contents insurance :eek:

Phil1147 - I got a printout of the quote - it's real!

To my mind, getting a new bumper is overkill. It's akin to getting a new bonnet if somebody scratches it. I'm going to offer to get it fixed and see what they say. I would be more willing to get it fixed had he not been such a bully on the phone to my girlfriend.

Cheers everyone for your advice

Hi Agwa,

Possibley you could advise them that you will pay for the repair at a garage of your choice?

They want you to pay 10% of the price of the car for a bloody bumper ??
Reasonably priced cars here

She must have been driving too fast for the conditions if she couldn't stop in time for a dog to run out in front of her in a (presumably) urban area.

Tell her that you'll pay to have it fixed and if she wants a new bumper, then she can pay for it herself !

Am I the only one here that thinks that this entire episode is a bit mad?
I think agwa is being extremely generous to suggest that the driver's car be repaired at all, let alone at the garage of her choice (I mean, what's stopping the driver getting a msssive quote and splitting the difference with the garage.

As someone thankfully mentioned, what woudl be the situation if it was your son or daughter that ran out on the road? The driver would be facing charges of dangerous driving. If the driver was driving at speed in a residential area (as it must be, outside your house), then she should have been doing so at a speed that would allow avoidance of a dog or a child.

If you really want to look after them, I would throw them about 300euro and be done with it. Any further then threaten them with reckless driving and reporting the incident to the guards.

People see and inch and take a mile, the world has gone mad

Hi Gillarosa - I don't think they mind who fixes it as long as it's a new bumper. She went to the Suzuki dealer because that's where she bought it. My argument is, why can't I just get it fixed. The mechanic assures me it'll be as good as new.

Pique318. You're reading my mind - I don't think that's being unreasonable.

Hi All,

Before I could get the dog to the Vets I had to deal with the woman who had hit the dog. I felt that as I opened the gate, it was my fault and so I took her number and told her I'd get the car fixed.

Agwa
First rule of accident is, never admit guilt. Surely, she has to take some responsibility for not being able to brake.

No witnesses, No Garda reports , looks like you are in the clear.

amgd28 - I tend to agree, it was me who mentioned the "what if he hit a kid" scenario.
I do feel responsible and I think the law is against me when it comes to control of dogs. However your idea of throwing them 300 quid is one that I've being mulling over. I may tell them I can either get it fixed my way or give them 300 odd quid for their troubles.

Crumdub12 - I would but they know where my Girlfriend lives and she's afraid there could be repercussions. If they get a bit too aggressive/abusive I may yet pull that one on them!

Back