Does anyone have good experiences of Ulster Bank

These threads are about as much use as "how long is a piece of string" - every large organisation will have good and bad in it. There is very little way of telling beforehand because everyone's definition of good and bad will vary, and everyone has a different tolerance of "bad" behaviour, or a higher standard to reach before they consider it "good". People will queue up to tell you bad things because it's human nature to moan about stuff. People tend to be less forthcoming about the good stuff, and the day to day stuff that just works in the background, which tends to be pretty much everything.

The only way to tell, is to give the organisation a try if the product fits your needs. If it fails to impress, then move away. However, don't take someone on the Internet's word simply because they had a bad experience with one girl in one branch on one day in one year etc. While it was obviously awful for them, it means nothing in the greater scheme of things as it may not reflect on that persons performance as a whole (bad days, we all have them), that branch or that company.

If anybody thinks that any of the Banks are going to be any better, they has better wake up and smell the coffee. -- just doing a simple job -- As for Management - well they couldn't manage a P up in Guinesses. What a waste of space.

That pretty much sums up the banks operating in Ireland.

I'm with Ulster for years, currently in dispute with them on various issues, but I'm not moving to AIB or BofI ever.

Op why don't you do the same post on AIB and BofI etc. You'll get exactly the same replies.

I left Ulster bank years ago when they lost my documents for a bridging loan. I found the problem is the head office, the counter staff where very helpful.

The branch staff are not to blame for the bank's troubles and they have enough worries of their own without being subjected to daily abuse from small people with an axe to grind. I can't blame them for not being exactly happy in their work.

Well maybe if the tellers put the right codes on the lodgments/withdrawals in my local branch instead of taking the easy approach and just inputting the sorting code on it, it would help matters. Nothing worse than getting a statement and nothing but a list of sorting codes beside the transactions. The codes are there use them!

Bronte I am switching banks and detest AIB, have OK experience with BOI; hence I'm choosing between PTSB and UB and I only found negative comments on UB on AAM, hence I was hoping to find some good experiences out there, which I have.

I've been using UB for years, personal and business accounts and am very happy with them.

I think that the best bet with any bank is to open an account in a small branch (if you can). You get better attention and they are more willing to post you out forms rather than you having to go collect them.

I use the Walkinstown branch of UB on average 3 times a week and al i can say is that the servive they provide is mediocre,if i go in around 3.30 there is usually a q of 8-10 people and usually only 2 tellers operating, 4 weeks ago i made a cash lodgement of € 550 and when i looked it up on the internet ,i found they had only credited € 150 to my account,i rang them immediately and they asked me was i sure that i lodged €550,they said that they would check it out and ring me back in 20 mins, about 2 hours later i got a call to tell me that they had discovered their mistake,no apology just told "these things happen" lately i made a lodgement of 1620.00 and when i checked on the internet i discovered that they had credited my account with 2 separated amounts of 1620 and 1630 and the following day bebited my a account as a cheque for 1630.00

I have got an elderly auntie that lives in the UK she was born in Ireland but moved to the Uk in 60's she had some saving with BoI but moved to UB. Now she advised these people in the bank that she is not resident in the Ireland. She was told that she would be excempt from DIRT.

She wrote to the bank for a certificate of interest for the revenue in the UK. These bank sent her a certificate of interest but it had irish taxes deducted for ireland on the certificate. She emailed the bank and worte to asking what was happening. She got back a form relating to Ireland to claim back the tax as she should not have been deducted as she was over 65 and also her income was less that 20k a year. She therefore had to write to this bank again stating that she does not reside in ireland and has never worked in ireland and had no PP1 which was a requirement on the form. To date she have not got an answered from them since that letter and email stating that it was urgent. Do they take urgent cases seriously I expect they just bin the ones that they are unable to deal with.

Joody

Paid my credit card bill recently by debiting my Ulster Bank current account. When I got my current account statement I noticed that the teller had input my credit card number so that it would appear on my bank statement in place of the wording "visa payment". If anyone had access to my statement they would have been given lots of additional information that they shoudn't have.

Surely the chances of someone haveing access to your bank statement is the same as having access to the actual Visa bill!

Been with UB for 20 years, never had a major problem, any minor issues sorted out rapidly and always found them very courteous and friendly to deal with

Have to agree completley with the above - have been with them for 12 years myself, anytime I need to talk to someone about my personal finances some body within the branch is quite happy to help out.

hi.
we have been with ulster bank for 4 years and i have a business account with them and i cannot fault them. I was probably one of the few that got a substantial loan from them.
I changed over from Bank of Ireland. What a load of rubbish they are. They are the worst company i have ever dealt with.

To BoxtheFox, I think what BGirl means is your credit card statement contains your name, address and credit card number, hence if someone has your credit card statement they have the same information as was contained on your bank statement.

And thanks to everyone who replied to my query about UB

That's exactly what I meant. All that is on your bank statement is 16 random numbers, without the expiry date and the security code or the actual card itself very little can be done with those numbers.

I find Ulster Bank the most awkward bank to deal with, everything they do seems to be tedious and involve ten times the paperwork it should. Also their internet banking platform is pretty poor. I have had bad experiences with them in relation to my mortgage and personal loan. I would NOT recommend them.

To BoxtheFox, I think what BGirl means is your credit card statement contains your name, address and credit card number, hence if someone has your credit card statement they have the same information as was contained on your bank statement.

And thanks to everyone who replied to my query about UB

...and my bank statement contains my name, my wife's name, my address, my current account number, my branch location, plus details of recent transactions on my current account. This information is not on my credit card statement. I would prefer to keep both pieces of information separate from each other.

Back