Dodgy keyboard typing numbers in place of letters

I'd like to thank you guys evne if the OP felt it wasn't needed (can you believe that guy?) - had the same problem on my laptop - tried googling the nonsense and got to this page as the OP had typed something similar as an example - when I saw num lock I couldn't believe how stupid I had been - had this laptop for a couple of years and didn't even realise there was a num lock on it (I am fairly technically savvie) - mine is a Dell Inspiron 1501 by the way and those little numbers in 'blue' are on the affected letters key - hope this is useful for anyone else.

to nai- thank you so much for posting this comment. My keypad was locked for weeks before I was able to follow your instructions to unlock it and fix it. thank you so much.

The Problem usually starts with plugging in an external keyboard like an usb keyboard or wireless keyboard. The external keyboard enables the num lock and leaves the light on after you have unplugged the keyboard from you laptop.

To resolve issue on laptop disable the numlock, if cannot see the numlock on your laptop, Press the FN and the F10 Key Together (FN is located next to CTRL key on toshiba laptops. and the F10 key is on the first layer of keys of your keyboard ) to toggle off, the light goes off. Problem is solved. Hope this solves your issue.

Also Fn + Ins / Num LK will work on a US Keyboard.

Davey.

Back