Do you use Groupon? Dependable? Quality of goods/services? Alternative "Daily Deals"?

inasoup

Lately I have been receiving Groupon coupons through emails with unbelievable offers.

One being servicing of car with 4 new tyres for €180 sounds too good to be true.

Could these be genuine offers?

The offers are genuine but the quality of product/service varies massively. Ive used them without issue a few times but got a "steak" dinner last week in restaurant on Camden St Dublin that I wouldnt serve to a dog.

What does the car service entail? Tyres could be of very poor quality and only up to a certain size. Post a link to the deal maybe?

I've used Groupon, Grab one , etc. before with no problems and great prices.

Burmo : How does it work?

Ive gone to the groupon site and its looking for registration (email address etc) before I can even access their about page.

aj

I have used groupon ok before. I've just bought a ten week dvd rental for xtravision for 8.99 which will bring me up to 8th january or so.

Burmo : How does it work?

Ive gone to the groupon site and its looking for registration (email address etc) before I can even access their about page.

aj

It's a bit tricky to spot but at the groupon.ie page just below where it asks for an email there is a clickable link named "Already registered?"
If you click that you bypass the registration window.

I use groupon sometimes but as said above, the quality can vary widely.

I've gotten some good deals and I've gotten some not so great, as in I got what I paid for but was really glad I wasn't paying full price!

There are a fair few stories around the internet from businesses who had very bad experiences and I find it interesting to think about the offer from the business' point of view before I make my decision.

I've more or less given up on buying restaurant offers, for example, because apart from the annoying fact that they're always for two people (I'm single and would be far more likely to try a new place out on my own), they often restrict the menu or times you can visit. I also heard recently of someone in my town who used a groupon for a meal for two in an Indian restaurant and at the last minute a friend decided to go with them. The third person just ordered from the menu and the portion was twice the size of the voucher deal meals (they took photos and are disputing it with all and sundry at the moment).

I've bought quite a few deals and haven't been disappointed....yet! They've included green fees in a few different places, handyman services, organic veg box, gym passes, 2 hr photo shoot with 2 photos for €39 (best purchase to date). I've just bought snow shoe grips haven't got them yet.

Today's offer reads like gibberish:
Famed for their scientific genius, ponies are most renowned in the motoring industry for the invention of horse power. Get a colt following with today's Groupon:

€20 for a full winter maintenance check with wheel balancing, oil top up and more at <snip>.

Or maybe this is part of Groupon's whimsical house style?

I have used them many times, alongside other websites that offer deals. We usually go for dinner deals/hotel deals. We did get some great bargains!

However, we did have one pb once: it was a food deal= a week worth of groceries but too many deals were sold and the vendor was not able to honour that deal. Well, apparently they were not even bothering replying to customers, but in fairness, citydeal handled it very well and we were reimbursed promptly.

However, we did have one pb once: it was a food deal= a week worth of groceries but too many deals were sold and the vendor was not able to honour that deal. Well, apparently they were not even bothering replying to customers, but in fairness, citydeal handled it very well and we were reimbursed promptly.

I was just wondering what is the difference between City Deals and Groupon when I saw that you mentioned both in the one post.

I had signed up for City Deals a long time ago but unsubscribed after a while.

Then out of the blue I started to receive e-mails from Groupon which annoyed me. I didn't sign up for anything with them so I unsubscribed which took two attempts.

Are the two connected?

I don't think the two are connected. Just two companies offering a similar product. Citydeal are linked with pigsback somehow, or at least I get their offers via pigsback.

pb, I assume, means problem. :)

Edited to add that I just checked my email and the pigsback version is Megadeal, not Citydeal. Sorry, should have checked before posting. What I like about megadeals is that if you change your mind or aren't going to be able to use a voucher you can get a refund.

Citydeal and Groupon are the same company.

If you click on the "about groupon.ie" at the bottom of their website, the heading switches to Groupon Citydeal, and both terms are used on the page explaining who they are.

The support email address for groupon is support -at -citydeal.ie

That could explain why you started getting emails, Sue Ellen.

There's a thread over on boards which allows users to give feedback on their experiences of boards deals - many are positive, but there are a few deals that didn't go so well (check out the recent jewellery offer as an example).

as it happens i got an email from groupon asking me to promote my business with them yesterday. in it they say that they only offer deals at 60-90% discounts but that they have over 900,000 subscribers in dublin and 20,000 new subscribers weekly providing imense traffick to my website. would it be worth it for that alone. mine is a service business btw

Last edited:
Back