Do you tip tradesmen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TillyD

Hi,

We are having a lot of jobs done around the house, covening, tiling, getting carpets down, blinds fitted ect and I am wondering should we tip these guys. DH always gives a few extra but I'm starting to think it's madness we're spending a fortune on tips alone along with spending a fortune on getting the job done.

What's your opinion on tipping tradesmen?

Thanks.

Almost never.

Occasionally, if they really put in the extra effort like leaving the place immaculate, always being there when they say they will, suggesting small extras and not charging for them...things like that, particularly if it was a one man job, then maybe. In fact I think I've done it twice, ever.

Ah yeah I always tip if they do a good job. Definitely even €20 does the trick. Its a nice gesture if someone does a good job for you. I know that is what they are paid to do etc but Istill, tis nice to be nice.

Maybe I should leave a tips jar on my desk! :rolleyes:

There's no way I'd ever tip a tradesperson. I'm paying them enough as it is. I also no longer tip taxi drivers either.
I do tip people who offer a good service and are probably on minimum wage (relying on tips)

I do tip people who offer a good service and are probably on minimum wage (relying on tips)

The minimum wage in Ireland is €8.65 per hour as of 1 July 2007, or €18k per annum based on a 40 hour week. No one in Ireland 'relies' on tips - so-called reliance on tips is an American concept where the minimum wage is often laughable.

Do you tip shop workers, office cleaners, security guards? They're probably on the minimum wage too. It annoys me when waiting staff think they're entitled to (tax-free) tips while other people earning the same as them do not, purely as a matter of custom.

Ah yeah I always tip if they do a good job. Definitely even €20 does the trick. Its a nice gesture if someone does a good job for you. I know that is what they are paid to do etc but Istill, tis nice to be nice.

Are you a tradesman Bob ? :D

Wasn't there a "survey" in the Indo a few years back that discovered taxi drivers earn more than most of their customers?

I'm sure it's the same with tradespeople.

Tipping people that earn more than you is crackers.

What does it matter what the service provider earns relative to you?
If a tip is given for the purpose of rewarding someone for going above and beyond what you paid for, and acts as an incentive for the next time you require the service (service provider more likely to go above and beyond next time in an effort to repeat the receipt of a tip), then what has his/her wages got to do with it.

If you feel an extra few bob to the tradesman is worth it (rather than seen as an obligation), then give it.

I don't tip taxi men that are rude/silent or that drive dirty old cars. I do tip friendly taxi men that put some effort into their own and their vehicle's presentation. Same principle should apply for other services.

I never tip taxi drivers. I consider that they are being way overpaid for what they are providing me with.

Having said that, with the one or two times a year that I actually use them, I don't think many families are going to starve, or be too disapointed, because of my actions.

Murt

I don't make it practice to tip, but I will if they have been friendly, clean, respected me & my home, did some extra little bit (free), etc, I'll usually give them a few quid for a few drinks.
The one who make me feel like they are doing me a favour by being there, are patronising or rude, NO!

A bottle of brandy at Christmas can be appreciated and they remember it if you need them again.

Thanks for the replies. I am tipping no more unless as some of you stated they really went out of their way and went that bit extra for nothing.
The other half tipped the skip guy for taking away the skip. After we paid €200+ for it. All the tradesmen have done a great job but nothing extra. Wouldn't mind but we're on a tight budget as it is without adding extra to it. I will show DH these replies later. The only person I am tipping from here on in is the postman!!

You're not ment to tip the postman....or the bin men & they could lose their job for accepting it.
Def think tipping the skip guy is mad !! I'd only consider it for guys who are around my house for a while (plumbers, builders etc). We got the attic done a few years ago...they were in and out in a week....very clean and pleasant. Got them a couple of cases of beer to have a party or split...what ever.

I always tip builders. I got a job done a couple of years ago for €250k and just as I would in a restaurant, i insisted they take an extra €25k for a job well done.:D

Not.

I've a great postman. I receive a lot of parcels in the post and if I'm not there he'll go around the back and leave them in my shed. He's also very friendly and helpful. Didn't know he could lose his job by tipping him. I only tip him at Xmas.

I'm not there he'll go around the back and leave them in my shed.

This also saves him the bother of leaving you a note, bringing the packages back to the depot and attending to some related paperwork.

There's a difference between tipping and giving people a Christmas present.
I find it ridiculous the way these days in Ireland people tip everyone from hairdressers to mechanics.
I tip very good waiters and very obliging taxi drivers but the thought of tipping a plumber or an electrician abhors me.
Next thing you know people will be tipping auctioneers, medical consultants and solicitors.

Are you a tradesman Bob ? :D

No am not a tradesman, wish I was they are all loaded.

I always found that the richer the person, the less likely they are to give a tip. And that is from working as a bag packer in Dunnes Stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back