Do you tip tradesmen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking as a tradesman, nearly every small domestic job I do I receive a tip for. Generally, we don't like doing mickey mouse domestic jobs (anything less than 500 euro), because its uneconomical for you and the customer when you add in the hassle and cost of actually getting to the job. Your travel time eats into your margin, and that could be up to four hours, there and back just for a poxy 200 euro job. You nearly end up poorer than if you didn't do the job at all. So any tips are great, especially if you've broken your back on a job trying to get it done right.

So if I get a call from somebody who looks after me well, they will always get priority if they need me in an emergency or whatever. Sometimes people don't understand, but if I'm working 60-80 hours a week and someone who doesn't look after me is looking for me, I'm not going to go out of my way to accomodate them. Thats the way it is at the moment, we can afford to be choosy about who we work for. Maybe not in the future, but at the moment we can. And by looking after it could be as simple as an offer of a cup of tea and a biscuit, not just money. I've gotten DVD box sets, crates of beer, a cordless drill; one old lady gave me an apple and an orange as I was walking out the door. If I feel I've been well treated I will be quicker to go back and sort out any problems/snag the job.

For the same reason I tip my waiter, hairdresser, mechanic etc. I find its actually of more benefit to you if you do tip because you are securing a quality future service.

Money is like manure - you gotta spread it around.

Couldn't agree more.

I find its actually of more benefit to you if you do tip because you are securing a quality future service.
So do i tip my doctor aswell?

I find its actually of more benefit to you if you do tip because you are securing a quality future service.

Do you get bad service then if you don't tip?

Thats the way it is at the moment, we can afford to be choosy about who we work for. Maybe not in the future, but at the moment we can.

Roll on the bad times!

So do i tip my doctor aswell?

They don't and can't turn people away in "good times" so not a valid comparison.

Speaking as a tradesman, nearly every small domestic job I do I receive a tip for. Generally, we don't like doing mickey mouse domestic jobs (anything less than 500 euro), because its uneconomical for you and the customer when you add in the hassle and cost of actually getting to the job. Your travel time eats into your margin, and that could be up to four hours, there and back just for a poxy 200 euro job. You nearly end up poorer than if you didn't do the job at all. So any tips are great, especially if you've broken your back on a job trying to get it done right.

So if I get a call from somebody who looks after me well, they will always get priority if they need me in an emergency or whatever. Sometimes people don't understand, but if I'm working 60-80 hours a week and someone who doesn't look after me is looking for me, I'm not going to go out of my way to accomodate them. Thats the way it is at the moment, we can afford to be choosy about who we work for. Maybe not in the future, but at the moment we can. And by looking after it could be as simple as an offer of a cup of tea and a biscuit, not just money. I've gotten DVD box sets, crates of beer, a cordless drill; one old lady gave me an apple and an orange as I was walking out the door. If I feel I've been well treated I will be quicker to go back and sort out any problems/snag the job.

For the same reason I tip my waiter, hairdresser, mechanic etc. I find its actually of more benefit to you if you do tip because you are securing a quality future service.

You are giving out mixed messages. You complain about "poxy 200 euro jobs" and "breaking your back" yet also say that you can afford to be choosy - if that's the case, just don't do the jobs that are so unprofitable/hassle filled ?!

Getting a job "done right" is essential and is expected - if it's more difficult than you first thought then you just have to live with that - you can't expect to be tipped because a job requires more effort than anticipated!

Also, you have more or less admitted that if you are not "looked after" then you would be slow to go back and snag/sort out problems?!? No matter how you feel, this is your work and your responsibility and you are obliged to finish what you have started.

I know tradesmen work hard for their money but I don't think the sentiments you have expressed will get you much sympathy or tips.

Tipping someone is a sure way of getting service with a smile. Its amazing the different in service when you tip. Its good that we don't have a tipping culture like the states, so when I tip in Ireland, its rare and appreciated.

Give the waiters and bartenders a break.

I would never tip a self employed person, or the boss, but I have tipped apprentices, binmen and skipmen (the latter only when he accepted and crushed an overfilled skip in the lashings of rain).

I think Copper's reply says a lot about how Irish tradesmen think. I agree wholeheartedly with people treating all tradesmen working in their house or wherever with common courtesy. That would mean being honest and straight with them and providing them with tea making facilities etc. It would also mean paying promptly . It would not mean tipping them as a matter of course.
Why would you tip people who earn good wages at a job that presumably they want to do? But of course I forgot, you are doing it as insurance that in the event you need them again they will come out to you. Maybe that was the case in times past but the wheel has turned and maybe they wont be so cocky in future.Lets hope that no matter how the economy goes our east european tradesmen and handy men are here to stay. The arrogance of expecting anyone to tip you when you are just doing the job that you are paid to do beggars belief ,and tipping these people only confirms them in their own delusions.

Copper, don't know what you do but 200 for 4 hours work = 400 a day = 104,000 for a 5 day week and you can't be bothered to do that. Pray tell me what you do as I think I need to change career:)

Why do all pipes burst at the weekend? You non tippers will be frantically leafing thtough the phone book while your floor quickly becomes a swimming pool.

The plumber is gonna be at my house and NOT answering your phone call.

Why do all pipes burst at the weekend? You non tippers will be frantically leafing thtough the phone book while your floor quickly becomes a swimming pool.

Here's a tip - Find out where your mains stop cock is, and make sure you have a key for it. Also a piece of hose and a couple of hose ties make a good emergency 'bandage' for a burst pipe.

Copper, don't know what you do but 200 for 4 hours work = 400 a day = 104,000 for a 5 day week and you can't be bothered to do that. Pray tell me what you do as I think I need to change career:)

Yeah I wish it was that simple:) , but when you add in travel costs, materials, trip to the wholesaler etc you end up with very little. Sometimes its cheaper to stay in bed. And don't bother changing career, as you probably earn more than me already. I earn very little, same as the majority of tradesmen I would say (despite the myths).

My first post came across very bad when I read it here (I'm not good at writing), but what I meant was that I will go out of my way for people who look after me, same as most people would work harder for an employer who gave bonuses. I don't expect tips, but I receive them a lot, mainly because I do most of my work for a small number of people who look after me. Theres no cockiness or arrogance whatsoever there, I'm just making hay while the sun shines. If the economy ever changes I'll be the first to go crawling for work:D . Thats business.

I used to tip hairdressers - they always come to the cash desk as you pay. However, in most salons after they have convinced you that you need a whole head of hi-lites or that the conditioning treatment they have is going to make your hair wow wow....you find your bill is well over a hundred euro.............. and one fine day the penny drops.....how long did it take YOU to earn this amount of money..........!!!!!!!!!
that penny did drop for me and I just pay the requested amount with my credit card now.
blob.

You are giving out mixed messages. You complain about "poxy 200 euro jobs" and "breaking your back" yet also say that you can afford to be choosy - if that's the case, just don't do the jobs that are so unprofitable/hassle filled ?!

Getting a job "done right" is essential and is expected - if it's more difficult than you first thought then you just have to live with that - you can't expect to be tipped because a job requires more effort than anticipated!

Also, you have more or less admitted that if you are not "looked after" then you would be slow to go back and snag/sort out problems?!? No matter how you feel, this is your work and your responsibility and you are obliged to finish what you have started.

I know tradesmen work hard for their money but I don't think the sentiments you have expressed will get you much sympathy or tips.

You seem to hold some sort of a grudge against tradesmen. I used to be a tradesman and often got held up on jobs out in the country. I often remember working on houses for 14 hours straight to get a job finished and not being offered as much as a cup of tea!! These are the places/people that I will never go back to, even if i was stuck for work. The "poxy 200 euro jobs" that copper spoke about for about 4 hours work may have required another 4 hours planning never mind organising parts/ materials and driving. Bigger jobs are much more profitable for us, so if we are "looked after" when doing small jobs we will make the effort to go back. Bear in mind that being "looked after" in my opinion might only require a cup of tea and a friendly smile.

You seem to hold some sort of a grudge against tradesmen

No, I don't. As I've said, I believe they work hard - I have no problem with tradesmen in general.

What I do have a problem with is people complaining about jobs that they are under no obligation whatsoever to do. Particularly if they actually say that they "can afford to be choosy". You can't have it both ways. Don't agree to do the job if you don't like the sound of it - simple as that.

I also have a problem with people, as Copper originally suggested, not finishing jobs properly if they feel they were not looked after - this is basically shoddy and dishonest.

In fairness Copper did retract a little on this.

The whole "4 hours planning" thing is just wingeing. Tradesmen are not the only people who have to do planning/other work outside their normal working day. I, like many hard workers, work in one of many 'not deemed tipworthy' sectors - it is a regular requirement of my job that I have to research/plan outside of the activity I am paid for.

What about junior doctors? social workers? very stressful jobs with long hours and a lot of paperwork/research etc outside hours.

I feel if some people don't even offer a cup of tea/friendly smile then that is basically pretty mean spirited - but so what? You are doing a job and being paid the price you have asked for.

You mention "working 14 hours straight". Yep. Sounds tough.

You were, I presume, paid for this?

If what you are saying is that you underestimated the job or mismanaged your time then I'm sorry - tough. You'll know better the next time.

Maybe it's news to you but many people in all types of jobs (myself included) have to swallow pride (and profits) when the provision of goods or services has been in some way miscalculated.

Maybe the above sounds insensitive but it isn't meant to - I'm just saying that a lot of jobs are tough, involve biting your tongue, losing margins etc. - and most of them would never attract the possibility of tips. Tips are a bonus, not an expected income.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back