Do people keep a weapon in the bedroom?

truthseeker

Was having a chat with some friends recently and they were telling me about a recent break in, they heard people downstairs in the middle of the night, the guy got up and grabbed the baseball bat he keeps in the bedroom and ran down the stairs to confront the intruders - who in the meantime had heard the movement and gone.

I was surprised by two things, that he had gone to confront the intruders at all, but I was more surprised at the fact he had a baseball bat in his bedroom specifically as a weapon.

Forgot about this and then yesterday in work heard another story, some neighbours of a workmate had people trying to break in recently - they couldnt gain access and left. But the neighbours son had heard them and was waiting in the shadows with a weapon so that if they did gain access he was ready for them.

Do people generally tend to keep weapons around for home security? Its not something Ive ever considered doing, Id be afraid the weapon would be taken from me and used against me.
What do other people think?

Baseball bat under the bed, and an iron bar in the wardrobe! Living where I live you wouldn't want to chance waiting on the cops to arrive. It'd be daylight before you'd see them.

I'm severly tempted to make a juvenile response to that question !! :D

I think the aforementioned baseball bat, golf club (de rigeur at the moment!!) etc is probably reasonable. Wouldnt agree with a gun, hatchet, hammer etc, as too likely to kill, plus you might be reluctant to use them which would be the worst of all worlds as they'd get used on you.

I'd say best strategy is ring the guards, turn on the hall light, shout that the guards are on the way, lock/barracade the bedroom door. If there are other people sleeping in the house its a bit more complicated but I think the same tactic would be best - a burglar is, I would hope, unlikely to injure/kidnap/take hostage someone else in the house and would be more likely to cut their losses and leg it.

Would avoid getting up close and personal if at all possible, thats their gig, they would probably be armed and wont be afraid to use weapons.

Would anyone have the nerve to just sit it out?? Theft of material goods wouldnt bother me too much, or at least I wouldnt compromise anyone's personal safety for them.

Should have mentioned in the first post - the guy who ran downstairs with the baseball bat. He phoned the Guards immediately after running downstairs - it was 4 hours before they arrived.

I keep 2 large dogs in my bedroom :) They are probably the best defence against any intruder, due to their sheer size.

Years ago, my room-mate and I heard a noise in the garden. She grabbed a hurley, I grabbed a torch (didn't occur to me to look for any sort of weapon) and we both ventured outside ... to confront a hedgehog! Looking back, I think were were probably both quite mad - as mentioned by others above, I'd be afraid of any sort of weapon I'd bring being used against me instead.

Golf club for me

Don't know why though - I'd be more likely to miss cos my golf game is rubbish, except on the Wii and I don't think a Wii remote would scare any intruders!

I've a hurley and a hammer under my bed. I would hope that my perimeter alarm would go off should anyone try to break in, and that they would then make themselves scarce. I also lock my downstairs internal doors at night so as anyone who did gain access would also have to make noise and break a door to gain access to the stairs.

My dad always kept a baseball bat beside the bed

D'udder half keeps a big shhtick under the bed now - plus we have a big dog outside bedroom door :)

Hopefully we'll never have to use it!

What are the intentions for these weapons? Self defense only? Or would people be planning on chasing intruders out up the road and beating them for the intrusion?

Both I would say - thankfully never had an intruder but I do remember years ago when I lived at home, my dad and brother would go running up the road after yobs trying to break into the cars. Hasn't happened for a long time though - although recession might change that!.

Depends on the individual/circumstances I suppose.

If for example someone attempted to assault me or my wife in our home, personally, I would use my weapon to ensure at least that they never walked again.

Depends on the individual/circumstances I suppose.

If for example someone attempted to assault me or my wife in our home, personally, I would use my weapon to ensure at least that they never walked again.

IMO you would need to have seen, or thought you had seen a glimmer of a knife in the intruders' hand (as the lights were off) which is why you broke his knee with your 7 iron.
Put simply you were defending yourself and family from an 'armed' intruder.. ;)

I wonder what ratio of all baseball bats purchased are actually used to play baseball.

Oh... and anybody who watched Cracking Crime on RTE last night would be crazy not to have a weapon for self defence. Poor 68 year old man who dragged from his own bed, beaten to a pulp and tied to his banisters. Poor man went into a coma and died.

Back