disabled bungalow

thats what i thought, we are talking about a 13 month old grl holding onto a bannister and it just snapping.

it obviously wasnt fitted properly. they have made no effort to contact me to make a repair, i had to do a diy job myself.

hi everyone,

i was onto the council last week and the lady said they had a house in a place one mile from where i a currently living.
so, i asked was i being offered it and she hummed and hawwed and said she would get back to me.
she didnt.

so, i was talking to a neighbour who told me the house was actually offered to a relative of hers but the relative refused it as the garden wasnt big enough :rolleyes:

so i drove out to have a look at it and it seems to maybe suit my daughter, even though the garden isnt big, it could be sorted with a little initiative.

i think the council didnt offer it to me as they might think it is unsuitable but it was mentioned twice to me.

my question is, can i ask the council for that house ?? its idle about three months, i am in dire need of a bungalow and althiugh it wouls need minor adaptions i would manage.

If she promised to ring you back why not just check back with her and say you would be very interested in it?

Liketoknow - this is what happened to a colleague of mine. She kept seeing a vacant house that wasn't being filled. She rang the council lots and eventually they offered it to her! If you feel that it's right for your daughter keep ringing, write to them, do whatever it takes! The worst that can happen is that they say no. Good luck!

I hope you get offered your bungalow pretty soon for the sake of the children. Did you enjoy your recent trip to Lanzarote with them?

yes, we did. they loved it , she flew great and only needed a visit to the doctor over there once , but as soon as we came home she became very ill again. and had had three infections since but hopefully will be on the mend soon!!

thanks for asking.

Little update.
The builder came to see the bannister and said he was shocked that it snapped and it was an architectural fault and they are "taking it up" with the architect.
They still havent fixed it.

With regard to a bungalow, still no change, they now say they cant afford to purchase a house for my daughter ,and dont have any already available.
My daughter has gotten increasingly worse and the docs say this house is making her ill and she needs to move asap.
i told the council this and was told "just because you need it doesnt mean you"ll get it".

Harsh to me. Maybe not to others.
I told them i need to make life as easy as possible for her as i dont know how long she has and really am trying to do my best.

Sorry your update isn't more positive. Bureaucracy can drive you crazy.
If you would like to pm me the area you vote in I will look up all the councillors/TDs and email you back addresses that you can email them at - chances are you have all this info already, but just in case you don't - and maybe you'll find someone with the heart to help you.

You might want to check out details of a recent case involving housing for a family that included a disabled child in Fingal. The Ombudsman for Children ruled against Fingal in this case. See

[broken link removed]

for more details.

thanks.
just read it, one word stood out , FREEDOM . For the child , my daughter has none, we have barely any other floor space, when i open our front door she screams to get out as its the only place to maybe play a bit , the house isnt fit for a dog. It is awful to see that a little girl with problems like she has , has to live in a house like this that isnt catering for her needs.
She walks between our tiny kitchen and sitting room .
And wears out so easily doing this .
We dont have a front garden. our back garden is below ground level , on a steep incline so she cant play there.

It's very sad to see a little child suffering. My heart goes out to any parent in such a situation. I know the weather isn't great at the moment but summer is a time when kids should be out in the garden.
Get the child out of the house as often as possible, go to nearby parks etc and keep hounding the Council for more suitable needs based accommodation. What happened to the place that was available a mile away?

i asked them about the house , they said they would get back to me about it , frove out past it last week and another family were living in it , children playing in the yard , a mum doing the garden. Gutted. But nice that the family got a house

Can you move out of your current council house and find more suitable rented accommodation? Or will that destroy your chances of getting back on the housing list again in the future.

Last edited:
Back