disabled bungalow

thanks suellen,

i phoned the council to ask them where they were with my application, they said they would look into it and be on to be within the hour, that was yesterday.

today i phoned again, and spoke to the same lady, i said that i hadnt heard back yesterday so was just following up on things.

she asked me my name, i assumed she would remember everything from yesterday, then she proceeded to ask me all the details of my daughters condition again to "refresh her memory" as she couldnt recollect yesterdays call!!! grrrrrrrrrrrr!:mad:

i received the discount that disabled passengers receive and got a third off the car as my daughter is disabled, i travel 80 miles round trip to hospital sometimes three times weekly, and needed a car.

i couldnt afford to save up to purchase a car outright, so by doing it this way i was able to get a third off and cover the car payments with child benefit, 320 per month , for two kids.

the bannister broke after i purchased my car, i do care about my daughter and i did not put car purchase before my daughter nor would i ever do that.

oh and b t w , under this scheme the car must be new, 2nd hand cars do not qualify for the allowance.

oh and b t w , under this scheme the car must be new, 2nd hand cars do not qualify for the allowance.

That must be so frustrating, they're forcing you to spend money on a new car, surely it'd make more sense for the scheme to support someone to a greater extent to retrofit a older car, leaving you with a much smaller car loan.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you would put a new car before your daughter, it just didn't make sense but clearly does now.

I'm guessing you're not in Dublin as you're 40km from the hospital but Dublin city council's site: [broken link removed]
recommends trying noticeboards in the council office of where you're looking, that could be worth a try.

Best of luck with it.

thanks ill try the notice boards, im in wicklow town, so travelling is a night mare and she doesnt travel well, so far i will b up there tomorrow and twice next week, two apps next month, one june , then the ones she will attend this and next week will need to be attended again in june.

never ending story.

Try contacting Brenda Power on [broken link removed] Scroll down to "getting it sorted"

In order for you to qualify for the VRT exemption off a new car for a disabled passenger, you need to qualify for a Primary Medical Certificate. To get this the passenger needs to have a severe limitation in walking or not be able to walk at all. The PMC is assessed by the Community Doctors in the HSE, these are the same Doctors who also assess children to see if they qualify for the Domicilliary Care Allowance. It is very unusual that you qualify for the Primary Medical Certificate but do not qualify for the Domicilliary Care Allowance, as the criteria for this is that your child needs constant attention more than a typically developing child of the same age, and since your child either has severe problems with walking or cannot walk at all how could they not require constant care and attention. I have never seen a child who was granted a Primary Medical Certificate not getting the Domicilliary Care Allowance.
There is a 17 week delay for the Carers Allowance, so if you have applied for it prior to this you should have got an answer by now, contact the Carers Allowance Department in Longford to find out what is causing your delay, and whether you have been granted the Allowance. You do not need to have the Carers Allowance or the Domicilliary Care Allowance to get the Respite Care Grant. You can apply for this separately, and having been granted the Primary Medical Certificate you should get the RCG.

exactly,

thats what i dont get, she qualifies for one but not the other. i applied for carers at the same time as domiciliary and received a letter saying i could not get carers without domiciliary.

domicliary was then turned down so i have received nothing and have appealed the decision.

i applied for respite and got a letter saying i cannot claim that unless i got domicliary.

i saw a sign for respite saying " if you are not in receipt of carers or domiciliary allowance you may still qualify for respite".

this must be false as i was refused anyway.

ive given up the fight, cant do this anymore. no one seems interested in my childs condition or seems to know much about and that is how i cannot receive these benefts.

thanks asdfg,

i will make one more call to the council tomorrow and if i dont get results i will contact the newstalk show ,thanks so much for all the kind replies.

You do not need to be receiving the Domicilliary Care Allowance to get the Carers Allowance, all you need is your own GP to fill in the medical criteria on the form for your child. Again it would be very unusual not to be eligible for the Carers Allowance if your child has severe problems with walking or cannot walk. However since the Carers Allowance in means tested you can be refused it if your means exceeds the financial criteria or you have savings above 20k.
Appealing the decision on the Domicilliary Care Allowance is the right thing to do. There is no criteria for the receipt of Respite in regards to receiving the Carers Allowance or the Domicilliary Care Allowance. It is up to the HSE to decide on your child condition if you require respite or not, if you are receiving Home Support Hours with help coming into your home for either help with the child or domestic help in the home you may not get respite.
Getting information from the HSE is difficult regarding your entitlements. It seems you require some Advocacy. Contact Citizen Advice, Comhairle, or the Carers Association for help and advice, they may be able to assist you in your housing problem also.

A little confused how did you manage without respite when you went to New York in November? You would also need more respite if you go again to New York with your 6 year old child.
New York is very expensive, you must be a great saver. Try and prioritise getting that bannister fixed.

www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=78705

my doctor filled out the carers allowance form and said my daughters condition would last indefinitely.

i was still turned down and it had the reason circled, that a child under 16 must be in receipt of domiciliary in order to qualify for carers.

the respite allowance i applied for , they sent a letter saying i cannot get itas i dont receive dom & carers.

totally lost now, i dont get it at all. i was told i could claim half the rate of carers and stay on my lone parent allowance but was turned down for carers.

they told me to get domiciliary allowance and send them the award letter. and they would grant my application.

i did go yes, my mother brought me with my sisters as present for an extremely tough year , but its fine if you want to assume i prioritise that over my daughter, because after all , people like me dont deserve a break.

secionn,

we dont all have 5100 sq ft houses to live in, and nor do i judge you yet you can say that i prioritise going on a trip to new york with my daughter, totally forgot that people like me arent allowed to have a life, buy a car, we are meant to live impoverished lives because we are unfortunate to either have a child with a disability, or not b well educated. my bad!

All Carers deserve a break. Not many get to New York, buy a new car and claim they cannot afford to repair their bannisters.
You seem to have great family support perhaps you should ask them for some help with the bannisters.
I am not judging you but I think you are being disingenious with your situation.
You probably need Advocacy in regards to your entitlements, contact one of the mentioned agencies.

hold on there,

i know three carers all of which have new cars. i went on a holiday generously paid for by my mother and left my daughter in the care of my family for four days.

no one knows the half of what i have been through so dont even go there.

somehow this sight isnt where i atually want to be visiting now when there are negative people like yourself , always out to see the bad in everyone else.

Hi,

As a last resort I think you should visit a clinic of your local TD, bring copies of all you documents and replies received from the various agencies, its sad but sometimes when citizens find that they are getting the run about in regard to social welfare even when they meet all requirements for the scheme or allowance they are applying for that this is a way to find resolution.

Goodluck.

My daughter has severe respiratory problems, hence the need of a bungalow, she may need to carry around (or pull ) oxygen tanks in the very near future. Im not looking for a bungalow because she fell down te stairs, the reason is her medical condition.

Slightly off the original topic but in case the situation re oxygen comes to being necessary, tanks are rarely used now. The HSE supply what's called an oxygen concerntrator, this looks like a large dehimidifier and runs off electricity, it needs no tanks and produces the oxygen. You can then get small portable tanks for use when out say in the car. If you end up with one of these make sure then to contact ESB and they have a priority list, in case of electricity failures . Once they know theres a person on oxygen concentrator they do their best to get you back on power as soon as poss. As I said a bit off topic but something to bear in mind should your child's condition unfortunately deteriorate.

thanks graham,
to be honest i didnt really want to look into the oxygen thing, im having a hard time thinking about the fact that she could inevitably end up on oxygen but its nice to know that at least there wont be anything to lug around for her.

thanks so much for the reply your very good.

Back