Direct holidays/ Thomas Cook help!

thedon

Hi folks,

I hope someone can help me as I'm in a bit of a panic at the moment.

I booked my holiday with direct holidays in April 2009 having only paid the deposit ( 150 ) and was going to pay the balance due ( due by 09-Aug-09 ) a week or so ago when the whole Thomas Cook debacle happened.

Over the last week or so I cannot get through to anyone in Direct holidays or Thomas Cook, I have tried ringing all the Direct holiday numbers for Dublin, Belfast, Scotland, UK etc. however all ring for 4/5 times then a click (routed elsewhere) and then the phone just rings forever! Tried Thomas cook in the UK and get routed to nowhere.

I have tried the Irish email addresses and they all get a "unable to deliver message" reply I have also tried Thomas cook's email via their website but no reply at all! this is just ridiculous, I have been on the phone for hours every day for the last week and my phone bill will be huge but am getting nowhere, can anyone help?

The office in Talbot street is closed even though it's supposed to be open till the end of August!!! any ex Thomas Cook/Direct Holidays staff on here have any numbers I can ring or anything at all, as stated I'm getting desperate as the only thing I have had to look forward to this year is this holiday and now it looks like that is gone also.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

why not contact the apartment / hotel you had booked with them directly, im sure you can pay it that way. you may have to get alternative flights though

Yes, paid by credit card.
Just to clarify I really need/want this holiday so just wondering if anyone knows what is going on? is direct still operating in the UK? why can't I pay for my holiday through them? or Thomas Cook? the direct holidays Irish website ( ) is still up and running and also appears to be accepting new bookings?

I don't think you will need to cancel your holiday. I'm not sure how Thomas Cook are operating in Ireland now, but they certainly haven't left Ireland. I reckon they have removed their shop fronts, but will continue to operate via the internet (directholidays.ie).

http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/thomas-cook-sitin-spreads-to-second-store-420954.html

Keep trying them. I'm sure you'll get a response. Particularly if you can find a direct dial for their offices in Park West. If all else fails, drive to Park West, if you're within driving distance. It would be near clondalkin so you'll have to take the Red Cow exit off the m50, or the Lucan exit and come up by Clover Hill prison.

Great advice Sue Ellen, I'm so freaked at the moment I never even though to ring the itaa ( wood for the trees me thinks :)) and thanks also guinang for the info on Park west. Seriously folks thanks a lot.

You're welcome.

I rang the ITAA once and did not find them very helpful. It was about a holiday insurance matter so different to your situation.

Looking [broken link removed] it would appear that Direct Holidays are/were? based but if I were in your shoes I wouldn't waste my time going out in the heavy traffic in Park West to find that there may not be anyone there.

I see from the link above that they mention:

'Payment due?

You can make payments or check your balance by using our automated balance payment line. Simply call 01 886 0408 and follow the instructions, using your telephone keypad. You will need to know your booking reference number and date of departure. '

I certainly wouldn't pay over any further funds until you have clarified the position and any further payments would definitely be made by credit card.

You will certainly have earned this holiday :)

That number ( 01 886 0408 ) is one of the several ( 01 886 0444 / 01 886 0430 ) I have been ringing all of this week and last that just rings out all the time no matter what time I try to ring or for how long. I have also tried direct holidays in the UK on 0871 664 7985 and several others in Liverpool, Scotland, etc. also Thomas cook in the UK all getting nowhere, it appears as if they are routing Irish numbers to nowhere, it's so frustrating. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]Thanks again for your help Sue Ellen.

Here's a direct line for thomas cook in Newry. They should be able to give you a number to at least get through to someone, or they might be able to take the payment from you.

028 30834902

I wish I'd seen this thread earlier,if only to reassure you...

As an independent travel agent part of me is laughing at the debacle of Direct (we-cut-out-the travel-agent-so-you-pay-less) Holidays, but the other part makes me feel sorry for you...
..so, if you don't get satisfaction by Monday pm contact me direct with your holiday details and I will contact the appropriate people.

As much as I hate the company (not the staff) i cant deny that Direct Holidays are fully bonded and licensed and are operating out of Park west ,a mile from my agency. They are not members of ITAA.

I know many of the staff in the Park West office and they are in the middle of transferring stuff from Talbot St office to Park west but,amazingly, the business phone lines are screwed up -which, commercially speaking ,delights me.

Your holiday should be quite safe but if you get no joy contact me.

Wow folks, Thank you, thank you, thank you :)), you really have helped to reassure me and thanks for all the quick replies.
As I'm quite new to this site I really am amazed by the speed of response and the community feel here, you have all really helped a total stranger and my family of course. You also restored my faith in human nature again, what can I say I only hope Karma or whatever works for you can repay all your help.
Thanks again, Don.

PS. may take you up on that oldnick lets see what happens.

Hi folks,

Just to update you on my situation and hopefully help anyone in a similar situation, don't know why but I seemed to remember Thomas cook took over panorama holidays so checked their website ( [broken link removed] ) and found a number for them ( 0818 200 300 ) rang it and low and behold actually got through to someone :) told her my situation and was told they are indeed part of the same group and can take my details, the balance due, etc. and will for the moment ( until direct sort themselves out ) be taking over the admin for direct holidays, sending out tickets, etc.

So WOW what a relief, honestly it feels like a great burden off my shoulders and in this horrible climate of doom and gloom at least I can look forward to my holidays and yes, I do realise how lucky I am to be able to afford a holiday in these times but have worked hard in the past for it and darn it my family and I deserve it :)

Thank you everyone for your help ( especially oldnick for your really kind offer of help ) with this and thanks to all the admins etc. who help keep this great site running.
Thedon.

As to the ringing out phone -I remember the staff in an interview this week saying that the number thomas cook were giving out for contact was for the foreign exchange desk located downstairs in the building which wasn't staffed anymore.

Back