couple,early 40,s,looking for holiday ideas for October.

Well this post has made me laugh on a Monday morning! :D

Never been to Puerto Rico but can vouch for Sorrento in Sep/Oct, fairly guaranteed not to bump in to any 'skangers' there..;)

Not really for shaved heads, thick necks, Tattoos, gold jewellery, football shirts.....and thats only the women!:D

Well there are loads of choices, Lisbon, Rome, Paris, Venice and Prague are great city breaks.

You have the Oktober fest in munich, another beautiful city. Croatia is lovely.. The choice is yours really what would you like to do.. Would you think of stepping outside of your comfort zone and possibly do a mountain trek holiday in Austria????
P..

Well there are loads of choices, Lisbon, Rome, Paris, Venice and Prague are great city breaks.

You have the Oktober fest in munich, another beautiful city. Croatia is lovely.. The choice is yours really what would you like to do.. Would you think of stepping outside of your comfort zone and possibly do a mountain trek holiday in Austria????
P..

South of France (Nice, Cannes) would offer the combination of city and sun resorts. You could easily take day trips by train to Monoco and Italy.

Hi there agree with you there Staples. We flew in to Marseille a few years ago, the best thing about Marsielle is the train station and we got the train to a small town called La Ciotat.. 20 minutes on is Cannes....

Ok Well I'll put in my pitch for Lanzarote . This thread has most of what anyone might want to know about it. ( especially post # 16 by yours truly ;) ) Its lovely in October, heading back there early Oct ourselves.

hello pat,peurto rico is a resort in gran canaria,which is why i referred to it by name,my wife and i holiday in p/r and have done so for years,we got married in a nearby resort and had a great time with other holiday makers,german,norwegian,danish,south african and even irish and british,all nice people, as far as i know they all worked for a living and were decent people like ourselves, even the irish and british and no one thought it was it a kip,maybe the commercial centre is a bit over the top,but the resort itself is beautiful,when you suggest the worst kind of people the uk and ireland has to offer i take it as an insult,if you want to find fault with a place ,you will.

My intention wasn't to insult you...it was to provide the OP with honest advice. And I stand by that advice - I wouldn't recommend "Puerto Rico" to my worst enemy.

It's kind of scary how often these threads denegerate into arguments and finger pointing.

On the one hand, people are often too quick to take offence. On the other, the languauge used by some posters could be more circumspect in order to avoid giving offence.

Personally, I don't like the Canaries (having been there twice, at 20 year intervals) and I prefer somewhere with a slightly less colourful ambience. But I know there are lots of people who really enjoy that kind of holiday.

I'm not sure it would suit the OP, but then again, what do I know? I go to the Algarve regularly and I really love Alvor, which is a fishing village about three miles west of Praia da Rocha. But I do not like Praia da Rocha AT ALL, apart from one restaurant (the Titanic).

Hi, Pat,I hope you did not take anything i said personally,if so please accept my apoligies. we stay in the harbour area in pr and find it very peaceful even by night.Yes we do go to the commercial centre some nights to visit the piano bar and can see why it puts people off having to get through the nonsense on the way in.The reason i felt insulted(and i am not easily) was i noticed that some posts were not even refering to the resort but to the people there on holidays and where they are from,what they look like,what they wear etc.Another poster implied a low achieving leaving cert student on holiday paid for by dad,we are all entitled to our opinion but the judgmental streak here is nothing short of snobbery,I will leave it at that ,all the best Pat.

Mercman,Grizzly pointed out that my comment to you was insulting.(try relaxing next time you go on holidays and stop looking for things to complain about)Looking back on it i agree,i am sorry if any offence was taken.

I don't understand why people only think about the Canaries for October/November sunshine. I have had great weather in the south of France, as others have pointed out, there, at that time of year.
Having said that I am not the type of person to lie beside a pool or on a beach all day long.
I have been at Dublin airport and seen the holiday makers to the Canaries drinking bottles of beer in the queue for check-in and you know something....they just leave the bottles on the floor......yes......and that's just the women!

The best guarantee of sun in October would probably be the Canaries.

I have been to Lanzarote, Fuerteventura and Gran Canaria.

I found Fuerteventura the quietest, probably best suited to the older crows. It is also the least built up Canary island.

Lanzarote was also nice. Stayed in Puerto del Carmen, busy resort and very English pub, Eastenders on each night for the Brits addictions etc!! But also a nice island. Travelled around most of it.

Gran Canaria I hated. Would not go back. Found it a completely different island compared to the other 2. A lot yougner crowd, more based on boozing, partying etc. And not as clean. Lot more trashy.

I have never been but I am sure Egypt would also give you good weather too that time of the year.

okay everybody thanks so much for all your suggestions Would love to go to all these lovely destinations but not possible,but the decision has been made, we are heading to fuerteventura, staying in one of the Barcelo Hotels, as we have stayed with them before in other resorts and cant find fault with them. Just have to decide on which one now, but that shouldnt be too much of a prob.Thanks once again for all your input I must say it was a lively debate Bye for now

If you have decided to go to Fuertuventura, I would strongly suggest you check out Las Marismas.
No connection just loved it and it has great facilities. Great value too.

And from october 31 to end March you can fly Ryanair to Fuerte from Cork as well as Dublin. Also The Jandia area of Fuerte town called Morro Jable has a Barcelo hotel. the beach at Morro Jable is over 5km long too.:D

If you have decided to go to Fuertuventura, I would strongly suggest you check out Las Marismas.
No connection just loved it and it has great facilities. Great value too.

+1 it's a very ...er...Germanic place (staff and ethos) but clean, nice and well run.

Of any of the big 4 Canaries I would go back to Fuerteventura. Maybe Lanzarote but definitely not Gran Canaria or Tenerife.

If you are a beach lover, Fuerte has some of the best in the world. Simple as. And they are almost empty a lot of the time. Watch out for naturists when away from built up areas - the whole island is very naturist friendly!

Back