couple,early 40,s,looking for holiday ideas for October.

Anemone

Hi, we are a couple,early 40,s,looking for holiday ideas for october.we know we are restricted with the time of year .Was thinking of fuerteventura, would appreciate some advise on hotels and weather at that time of year

If you're looking for a sun holiday in October, the Canaries or Madeira is probably your best bet. You could also try Cyprus or North Africa.

Spain and Portugal are very pleasant that time of the year, but a bit hit and miss from a sun holiday viewpoint.

Short sleeved shirts on Lake Como the first week of October last year...in between the odd shower....very pleasant.

Thanks for the info. Looking at Tenerife at the minute .Anybody know of a nice resoet and hotels there?

hi anemone,same age group here,peurto rico in gran canaria is the best bet for sept, oct, we always take our holidays in sept and were dissapointed a few times with the weather in a few different resorts,peurto rico was suggested to us a few years ago and we never looked back,if you are hoping for a week of unspoilt weather its the place to go,we are off again in 6 weeks time,regards salaried.

thanks for the info salaried.peurto rica sounds like the spot we are looking for.will look into it

hi anemone,same age group here,peurto rico in gran canaria is the best bet for sept, oct, we always take our holidays in sept and were dissapointed a few times with the weather in a few different resorts,peurto rico was suggested to us a few years ago and we never looked back,if you are hoping for a week of unspoilt weather its the place to go,we are off again in 6 weeks time,regards salaried.

thanks for the info salaried.peurto rica sounds like the spot we are looking for.will look into it

I'd avoid "Puerto Rico" if I were you (unless you like spending your holidays with the worst kind of people that the UK and Ireland can offer).

It hilarious the way people use the name "Puerto Rico" to give the illusion of somewhere far more exotic and upmarket.

It's Gran Canaria and it's a complete kip. Hilariously so. Avoid.

hello pat,peurto rico is a resort in gran canaria,which is why i referred to it by name,my wife and i holiday in p/r and have done so for years,we got married in a nearby resort and had a great time with other holiday makers,german,norwegian,danish,south african and even irish and british,all nice people, as far as i know they all worked for a living and were decent people like ourselves, even the irish and british and no one thought it was it a kip,maybe the commercial centre is a bit over the top,but the resort itself is beautiful,when you suggest the worst kind of people the uk and ireland has to offer i take it as an insult,if you want to find fault with a place ,you will.

I know a few women who go every year. I've been once and found it on the tacky side but sun hols are not for me. My friends go for the almost guaranteed good weather in late Sept and early Oct.

Oscars is a lovely place to eat at night.

I've been to Puerto del Carmen in Lanzarote, Puerto Rico and to Corralejo in Fuerteventura. Of them I'd recommend Fuerteventura without question if you want a nice relaxed holiday atmosphere, that's not too built up, and not too wild. We've gone there three times, and are probably going back there in October. If you go there and see a lad under pressure with 1 year old twin girls, that may well be me.:)

i take it as an insult,if you want to find fault with a place ,you will.

If you read the OPs question it says it all. What is wrong with somebody thinking that some place is a kip and perhaps telling the truth. Different strokes for different folks and all that

I've been to all the canary Islands, cyprus, majorca for non summer sun. I'm late side of mid 30's ;-)
I would recommend Fuerteventura. I wouls further recommend Las Marismas as a place to stay. Got it as a recommendation from a work colleague and have been twice. I booked a package the first time and booked directly with them the second time.
There are some lovely restaurants too. Mixture of different types of bars.
It all depends what you want.

Tenerife excellent. Los Cristionas is the nicest part. It is the oldest part and quiet and crime free. Los Amsrican is not as nice.
Try 'trip advisors' for list of hotels and apartments to let. some fab apartments there on the sea front beside restaurants and shops and 2 minutes from beach. You should get apartment, 2 bed for about €350.
Restaurant - Bistro a'Alain has 2 Mitchelan stars and very reasonable and excellent. enjoy Browtal

hi,mercman pat batemans comments on the worst that the uk and ireland has to offer is an insult,i have no problem with someones personal opinion but there are two sides to every story,we go to p/r to enjoy our time there and know the place very well,we are very respectable people but we are not snobs,neither were the uk or irish people that we encountered while there,we were all there for the same reason A HOLIDAY,its a pity your anticipation was not met by your experience,you should both try relaxing the next time you are on holidays and not looking for things to complain about.

Must be honest, I've been to Puerto Rico in Gran Canaria. Mr Bateman gave good advice; it is a dump. OK, if you are a low grade achieving leaving cert veteran 'dad will pay for my reward holiday' type then Gran Canaria may be for you.

But, if you want some class and restful holiday stear well clear.

hi,mercman pat batemans comments on the worst that the uk and ireland has to offer is an insult,i have no problem with someones personal opinion but there are two sides to every story,we go to p/r to enjoy our time there and know the place very well,we are very respectable people but we are not snobs,neither were the uk or irish people that we encountered while there,we were all there for the same reason A HOLIDAY,its a pity your anticipation was not met by your experience,you should both try relaxing the next time you are on holidays and not looking for things to complain about.

Any chance of a full stop here and there in your post. Some spacing? I am breathless by the time I read what you are saying.
For the record. Mercman was giving his opinion and it should be respected. Your last comment was insulting. I am sure Mercman knows how to enjoy himself on holiday.
I have never enjoyed the Canaries either. Cockroach infested dump.

Have been there once - never again. The "experience" begins in dublin airport when you find yourself in close proximity to the sort of loud skangers you'd go out of your way to avoid at home. You'll enjoy the pleasure of their wit and bon homie for several hours all the way to your hotel. Despite your best efforts, you'll inavariably happen upon these same individuals (and their counterparts from other countries) on a constant basis for the duration of your stay.

While the scenery, etc, is beautiful and there will be plenty of perfectly sane people you'll be glad to meet, the overwhelming theme is "stag might in temple bar". If you think you could put up with that for the sake of some scenery, then by all means go for it. If not, other posters have offered some good alternatives.

Well this post has made me laugh on a Monday morning! :D

Never been to Puerto Rico but can vouch for Sorrento in Sep/Oct, fairly guaranteed not to bump in to any 'skangers' there..;)

Back