Cost of car parts in Ireland

Boyd

I recently bought (privately) a used Mazda and in a few 1000KMs it will need a couple of things done. I rang a few dealers including a well known Mazda dealer in Dublin for a price guide to parts:

Lead plugs: €60 each x 2 = €120
Trail plugs: €58 each x 2 = €116
Leads (set of 4) = €140
Ignition coil: €200 each x 4 = €800

To get the same parts delivered to my door from California it costs

Lead plugs: $20.39 each x 2 = $42
Trail plugs: $20.39 each x 2 = $42
Leads (set of 4) = $59.93
Ignition coil: $40.05 each x 4 = $160.20
Shipping (UPS) = $78

€1176 vs €284 :eek::eek::eek:

How is this possible? Its interesting to hear the rhetoric of buying local etc to save jobs, but when such savings are available how could you?

Someone is making some serious cash somewhere in this transaction.

Any thoughts?

try micksgarage.ie,you should find significant savings to the quoted prices,

I found them not to be great for stuff I was looking for, CV joints.

120e each in IRL, 90e each from micksgarage

25euro each from a manufacturer in GB

try micksgarage.ie,you should find significant savings to the quoted prices,

Hmmm, according to mick, my car doesnt have ignition coils, LOL!!

MAZDA RX 8 (SE17) 2.6 10/2003 - 231bhp 1308cc
"Sorry, these parts do not exist for your MAZDA RX 8 (SE17) 2.6 10/2003 - 231bhp 1308cc "

oh sorry about that.

have you tried the irishrotary owners website?
they have alot of useful links to new parts suppliers

Yep, fully signed up. Great site and the lads (and ladies) there are well helpful - it was them who suggested I get the parts from the crowd in the US :)

When do you pay the customs, is it when the goods are delivered to the house or you get a bill from the revenue? Does the cost of the goods need to be over a certain amount to attract customs?

When do you pay the customs, is it when the goods are delivered to the house or you get a bill from the revenue? Does the cost of the goods need to be over a certain amount to attract customs?

All items have their duty rate. It's quite specific and it is a percentage of the value of the package. If the items are sent by courier the driver will require payment before he gives them to you. Couriers generally take care of the customs admin. If they are sent by post, potentially customs could open and confiscate completely.

Yes its through UPS couriers. I got €75 worth of oil and filter delivered last week from England with no additional customs charge?

You'll find mzda have a crazy pricing policy in ireland.
Example: mazda 6 steering rack 1,600 + VAT
2 short braided brake hoses (12 inches long) 110 each

I have started to use ebay to get 2nd hand parts. user as_cars specializes in breaking mazda 6's.

There's a much wider market in the UK. If you are willing to take the risk of 2nd hand, it'll save 1000's

Dunno if i'd go 2nd hand on the RX, tis a little special to me!

I am already risking 2nd hand though - i'm collecting a 2nd hand heater blower motor for a friend's VW Polo tomorrow, delivered from the breakers in Tyrone to Dublin. €158 + VAT for new part here, £25 for the second hand spare :)

Had to get a job done on a Volvo 80 last year, throttle housing, timing belt and 2 front shocks. Got 2 prices here from main dealers, 2,000 euro and 2,700 euro. Checked the net and found Volvo dealer in Antrim, Greers. Drove to Antrim, got job done and the cost? 1,075 euro.

€70 customs/VAT charge, bringing the total to 284 + 70 = €354. Not bad being able to save over €700 quid on a single transaction :D

Back