Cost of building a house

Absolutely untrue-Prices on all materials are falling as you'd expect with the current oil price slump, current economic slump and supply demand situation-i.e the demand is simply not there at the moment. The only building of note that is taking place is once off housing and slatted sheds -the latter will be finished at Christmas. Prices on timber may go up nesxt year but for the moment steel, concrete etc are in freefall. Im especially surprised with your comment on insulation. Prices on Kingspan, Xtratherm products are falling over the last 18 months (almost 20% down ion what I paid 2 years ago)

Thanks for this, it si what you would expect to happen. We ar ein a deflationary period and prices will have to come down. It is good to see it happening, the sooner it happens the better for everyone. There will be no houses built soon if prices of materials and labour do not drop.

Absolutely untrue-Prices on all materials are falling as you'd expect with the current oil price slump, current economic slump and supply demand situation-i.e the demand is simply not there at the moment. The only building of note that is taking place is once off housing and slatted sheds -the latter will be finished at Christmas. Prices on timber may go up nesxt year but for the moment steel, concrete etc are in freefall. Im especially surprised with your comment on insulation. Prices on Kingspan, Xtratherm products are falling over the last 18 months (almost 20% down ion what I paid 2 years ago)

Not in my area (Cork), I'm afraid. Thought concrete products would have come down buy no joy as yet anyway.

well i just got a letter in the door from roadstone and there prices are going up between 5 and 10 % in jan.Price of material is still high.We are putting in prices between 70 and 80 euro a sq ft inc vat for new builds for standard builders spec.You get what you pay for to a level.i find people wont pay for that bit extra service and better workmanship.

well i just got a letter in the door from roadstone and there prices are going up between 5 and 10 % in jan.Price of material is still high.We are putting in prices between 70 and 80 euro a sq ft inc vat for new builds for standard builders spec.You get what you pay for to a level.i find people wont pay for that bit extra service and better workmanship.

Agreed, people still think cheapest is best. Great news on roadstone, will be expecting my christmas card from John A's soon so :(

thats the thing with roadstone there is no talking to them.At least the timber supplyers you can do a deal with.

John A's are under Roadstone AFAIK and Iwas able to talk them down on stone only a few weeks ago. Just used the 'Riiiight soooo shur...... I'll make one call to the other crowd I have an account with and shur I might be back to you' line and knocked 50 cent a ton off.Play hard ball with them, they have a lot of hackers in the yards doing nothing.

Agreed, people still think cheapest is best. Great news on roadstone, will be expecting my christmas card from John A's soon so :(

Baldyman, while I agree completely that cheapest is not the best I think it is slightly irresponsible to be looking at things from this angle, especially in the current climate.

The coin has very much been flipped in this country. I really feel that it is very important to state that while the cheapest is not the best neither is the dearest.....this is what we should be zoning more in on i.e "people still think the dearest is best". This is just as-sorry scratch that- more important. The facts are per one of my previous posts the mentality in Ireland over the last 11 years is very much aiming towards "dearest is best". The only one with the "cheapest is best" mentality has been the plumbers and electricians, etc that have charged through the roof on labour while putting in the cheapest of materials to max on their profits.....so from their prospective of course cheapest is best. `

I have learned from experience that due diligence is the only way to determine whether work is good or not....and not whether its cheap so its good or its expensive so its good. Paying through the nose on labour coz youve heard or saw good workmanship is simply bad business if there is somebody else out there that can do just as good a job at a much lower rate. Do your research and educate yourself before emptying your pockets. There are lots of excellent tradesmen out there (in particular guys in their late thirties/forties that have seen the bad days of the eighties) these honest hardworking people have recognised the market conditions and dropped their prices accordingly.

Regarding materials I really cannot see material prices going up in January
I do agree with the comments on Roadstone....but trust me they are coming around too-they have no choice. To that person who received a letter regarding 10% increases in January I advise go somewhere else

Im speaking about labour prices here only. Im going to take the example of plastering of a 3000 square foot house as somebody before mentioned the great deal they were getting for 16K. God, Im cringing as I type. To use a Johnny Giles line " take each game on its merit" I would suggest taking each aspect of the build on its merits. Ask yourself the question what exactly is involved in this job- plastering of a 3000 square foot house- Should I bother going around and checking out whats involved in this project and pay the 16K ....after all I dont know the first thing about plastering and everyone says Joe Bloggs is a mighty plasterer!!?? Or should I ask how long will it take for this job to be completed, how many men are on the job, what does this work out at per hour, if i were to do 2-3 weeks hard work work what would I expect to get paid having paid my staff. On this note ask the question how many people do you ahve working for you? Once you've educated yourself go away and check at least 3 other plasterers work. Be prepared to spread your wings if necessary as prices on labour and materials vary so much in this country. Remember its a very small country geographically-e.g Dublin and the westa re only separated by 100 miles yet labour and material prices are non-comparable. If the tradesmen dont ahve work they will travel. Equally if a Dublin person drives a lorry from Dublin to a West of Ireland Building provider do you think the building provider will turn away the Dub that wants to fill his lorry in the current environment-I think not

bottom line is to get at least 3 quotes for all the jobs,
i put my extension job out to tender and had prices back from 8 builders, prices ranged from 90k-230k for the exact same job.
i got prices from 3 lads for the electrics works, quotes of 3k, 3.5k and 11.5k.
3 prices for plumbing & heating, quotes of 8k, 8.5k and 12k.
all these prices i got in the last 3 weeks so the advice i'd give is get different quotes in and when u meet the tradesmen in person you'll generally get a good impression of them, also if they have been recommended it always helps.
i've actually found it comical with some of the quotes i've received but i guess some folk have been charging ridiculous prices for years now and are finding it hard not to now!

Baldyman, while I agree completely that cheapest is not the best I think it is slightly irresponsible to be looking at things from this angle, especially in the current climate.

I agree with you here also, should have made that clear. I'm in the trade, usually as a sub-contractor, sometimes as a principal. Experience has taught me (the hard way!!) to throw the obviously too cheap and the obviously too dear quotes in the bin immediately. I'm not even tempted to go through the breakdown on either. There is a certain level below which someone will be working at a loss and they don't do this, they are quoting low to get the job so they can screw you on variations/extras. The too high quotes are binned because I don't profiteer myself and will not support someone who does.
Value for money is key. You're right about working out how many men, etc. are required for a job. Even when working with rates, I always do a mental check this way to make sure that I'm covered. Good employees gain a reputation for their employer as much as anything else. Good employees cost money.
Also, I feel another fair point here is people hiring non-registered builders. Its all fine and well to rub your hands in glee when you get a group of (very often) foreign nationals to build your house for seemingly far less than a bona fide builder. Of course they can, they don't charge VAT, they don't contribute income taxes and, if the greater national interest isn't a concern for the home owner, they have NO insurance.

Considering buying a site with fpp for 1100 sq ft house. What's average build cost (using contractor not direct labour) in greater Dublin area. Also is there much of a difference between concrete/timber frame construction cost. Thank you.

I am nearly complete my build and one word or warning is not to forget the extra costs with building mainly finishing the house off; average cost 50K, site finishing costs ie drive, lawns, walls etc 40K plus
These are realistic costs..no point building a huge house if you can't afford to finish it or the site off,
my total cost to date is coming in around 100 euros a sq foot and growing, estimated cost will be 125

Hello,
I am going building a bungalow about 2000sqft on my own site and now that the building has slowed down could anyone tell me roughly what it is going to cost for a builder to do it.? It will be a plain enough bungalow not too much design. Would appreciate any comment. Thanks.
about 80 euro a sqft building contractor

I agree wholeheartedly with you Johnny G. I am building at the moment and there are extra costs all along the way that I had never thought off (being new to all this) and really you need to factor in costs for flooring/tiling/painting/kitchen/furniture/if any of your builder PC sums go over i.e. if you put in more lighting in house than builder has allowed for and same for heating PC sum/front wall/groundworks/oil tank/oil (if going with oil)/windows and doors (if going for higher spec than what builder has allowed for), extra velux windows that you may decide to put in along the way as you see the house going up/installing solar panels if you decide/any extra site visits by engineer....etc. There are so many hidden costs along the way that no-one had warned me about and now I am learning to my cost. I am in the middle of building at the moment and if I had time back again, I would certainly have cut costs in the house (built a little smaller/no split level therefore less foundation costs/less veluxes/much smaller garage etc.) so that I had enough money left aside for finishes/furniture/overspends on PC sums/site works etc. I hope this advice will be of help to someone. I wish I had known it! It's easy to get carried away when designing a house and making rooms a bit bigger here and there. The bigger the house, the more tiles/carpet needed, the bigger your heating bills etc.etc. Ok, better stop before I put ye off building altogether! :)

Evening all.
We're currently looking at trading up, and we've two options available to us.

Option 1: There's a circa 2500sq.ft. house on .2 of an acre ready built to builders finish going for €600k, but open to offers.
Option 2: There's a .2 of an acre site for sale for €295k, with full planning for a 2700sq.ft. house, again negotiable.

We're not too familiar as to the going rate of builders, etc., so we don't know if we go for option 2, the total is gonna run over the "negotiated" price for option 1.

Our budget is probably €500k at a stretch. So if we could buy the site for €250k, is it possible to get a 2700sq.ft. house built (and kitted) for < €250k?

Go for option 1, offer say 400k. (even that sounds ridiculous for a house on a tiny site that is only completed to builders finish)

Have you any idea of the position you are now in? It is the most amazing buyers market in the last 100 years. 90% of the population would be refused money by the banks to buy the property in option 1. You are one of the few. Make an offer and tell them to like it or lump it.

Thanks for the advice guys.

TBH, I'd be half embarrassed to offer the figures ye gave. Well definitely with the €400k offer...I was gonna start somewhere around the €200k for the site.
I only jumped onto the property ladder around 5 years ago, back in the day when the asking price was just for show as the house would sell for 20%-50% more.
So to all of a sudden be in a position where an offer 20%-50% less than asking might actually be considered is completely alien.

There are pros and cons to both options.
Obviously option 1 has the house already built, and is ready to move into once kitted out. That's very appealing as we wouldn't have to move in with the inlaws in the interim.
Option 2 give us the chance to get a bigger house for less money (depending on the building costs) and allows us to customise the interior to our desires. But it also involves waiting around a year while it gets built, and living with the inlaws for that length of time.

So we really are between a rock and a hard place.

Any ideas on what the building costs on the 2700sq.ft. house would be?

Hi

I'd happily suffer a little embarrassment if it saved me 10's of thousands.
You could get a 2700 house built for 150,000 if you tried but 200,000 and maybe even 250,000 would be more realistic.

I'm aiming to complete a 2500 house for 130,000 but looks like I will run to 150,000 or a little more by the finish.

not meaning to offend or dissappoint but you have absol no chance of getting a house that size up for 130,000. you might get a builders finish and even at that it is a stretch.
To finish your house completely with standard materials then I would expect you to pay 220,000 for the lot and at that it will be very cheap.....

I'm aiming to complete a 2500 house for 130,000 but looks like I will run to 150,000 or a little more by the finish.

Are you serious? You must be doing some of the work yourself, seems incredibly cheap!

I am building and would expect to spend 250k to totally finish the house 2500 sq ft. No oil, but probably wood heating, with solar. Highly insulated, top spec window glass (but frame in PVC). 90 sq m Garage included. HRV.

If I could build it for less I would.

Back