Cork Hurling Crisis

They were a laughing stock for a long time now. After last night they are just embarrassing themselves - it really is pathetic. There are a lot more important things for people to worry about than this bunch of self obsessed eejits.

Totally agree. Do they seriously think people care who is right and who is wrong anymore? Actually I never cared. Got tired of Cork GAA politics a long time ago.

Roy keane is from Cobh county cork and walked out on his country and then walked out on his club (after spending more money than Real Madrid and winning nothing)

Is from Mayfield, got us there and was sent home, resigned after winning championship and staying in the Prem, but don't let the facts get in the way.

what is it with cork and its "sportsmen"
the hurlers are on strike and wont play for their county because they want to pick the manager (D'ya know)
the footballers last year went on strike and refused to play for their county.

Stephen Ireland is from cobh county cork and wont play for his country and is making up dead grannies to get out of playing for his country.

Roy keane is from Cobh county cork and walked out on his country and then walked out on his club (after spending more money than Real Madrid and winning nothing)

sonia o sullivan is from...you guessed it...cobh county cork and in 2006 applied for dual citizenship so she could run for australia and then in 2008 managed one of australia's cross country teams.

Roy Keane is not from Cobh. He is also one of Irelands greatest sportsmen.

Whats the problem with Sonia. She is also one of Irelands greatest sportswomen.

In Newry's experience Cork's Senior Hurlers are true Gaels

A chara,
I hope you will permit me a few lines to publicly thank members of the Cork Senior Hurling team of 2008 for their continued support for hurling development in Newry and indeed Co Down in general. At the outset I want to state that I'm no apologist for the GPA or with an axe to grind with GAA officialdom as I sit myself on both the Down Hurling Board and Ulster Hurling committee thus I'm fully aware of the valuable role that administrators play within the GAA. However,I have been prompted to write this in the wake of continued attempts, bordering in some cases on character assassination, to portray this group of players as self-centred, interested only in themselves and on some type of ego trip to destroy the fabric of the GAA. I want the Cork hurling public to get some understanding of the true nature of these players and the often unseen efforts they make to promote hurling in the "backwaters" that have been continually ignored by the powers that be whose job it should be to develop hurling! Only last week we had the pleasure of once again hosting Diarmuid O 'Sullivan in Newry for our annual juvenile hurling awards and to launch the building of our hurling wall as part of our continued progress on our ten year development plan. In the past four years Donal Og Cusack and Diarmuid O'Sullivan have been regular visitors to our club, helping to launch our schools coaching initiative four years ago which has proved to be the springboard for the rejuvenation of juvenile hurling in Newry. Before their first visit hurling in Newry was on its last legs but over the following years with their continued support we have reached the situation where our juvenile hurlers are meeting and beating the Ards clubs at U12/10 level and matching the best in Ulster ,not for one moment am I suggesting this is the sole reason but the publicity they create coupled with hugely increased numbers attending training in the wake of their visits to the local schools is a significant factor. When you read all the press reports about senior Cork players being egotistical, interested only in themselves and in some way seeking to undermine the ethos of the GAA I can assure the public of Cork that the reality as borne out by their efforts is Newry couldn't be further from the truth, indeed I genuinely believe that if the GAA hierarchy was as interested in promoting and developing hurling in weaker counties as these two players and their colleagues hurling would be in a significantly stronger position across the country.

Not only have they helped promote hurling in Newry but throughout Down. I have had the privilege of coaching the Down minor hurling team in the past and both players have taken time out to help coach these players on more than one occasion particularly on our visit to Cork in 2006. This visit was almost singly organised by Donal Og, he organised the challenge match for us, the talk with Sean Og who also arranged to take time out to speak to the players along with a training session which Donal Og conducted himself, basically he gave up his whole weekend to help a group of hurlers from over 200 miles away, those actions say more about the true nature of this fellow gael than any number of press statements or media interviews to the contrary. Anytime we have asked Donal Og or Diarmuid to visit they have always agreed often at short notice, last week was a case in point where at very short notice Diarmuid agreed to travel north again not only to visit schools in the locality and conduct our awards night (with over 70 juveniles attending our U14-U8 awards on Saturday) but on the Friday night he also went to Ballycran an additional round trip of a hundred miles to present the medals at their juvenile awards, surely those are the actions of a player genuinely interested in helping promote hurling and what is best for the game we all love.

It is always simple to look at the headlines in the papers or the spin being created by others for their own agenda without looking beyond this at people's actions on a regular basis away from the glare of the cameras and certainly if you asked the young hurlers of Newry and Down their opinion of the Cork Senior hurlers and in particular Donal Og Cusack and Diarmuid O'Sullivan it would be one of fellow gaels committed totally to the promotion and good of hurling who are always willing to take time out for the people that really matter, not administrators or all stars but the youth of Ireland who want to play the greatest game on this earth. Like all genuine hurling people I hope to see these great servants of our game return to the arena they belong in and ensuring that Cork regain their rightful place at the top of the hurling role of honour.

Is mise le meas
Cumann Iomana Iuir Cinn Tra

A chara,
Finally catching up on emails and text messages. I was sorry I missed Diarmuid because the feedback from all at the club was that they thought him an absolute gentleman and everyone enjoyed meeting him. They were particularly appreciative of the interest he took in all the kids and his willingness to chat and to pose for photographs.
I've copied Eamonn and Paul in to this note because of the kind offer Diarmuid made to spend time with the County Development squads in the Spring/Summer. We will galdly take him up on that offer.
My personal thanks to you for helping arrange the visit.

Seamas O hAonais
Cathaoirleach
Naomh Sheosamh Baile Crann

They were a laughing stock for a long time now. After last night they are just embarrassing themselves - it really is pathetic. There are a lot more important things for people to worry about than this bunch of self obsessed eejits.

I think Ive been in cork 2-3 times in my life but anyone whos ever been involved in team sport at even half the level those boys are at will understand what theyre going through.
Would you commit yourself to all thats involved with being an intercounty player and put up with what they have? If you dont know whats involved, try and find out and then comment.

Is from Mayfield, got us there and was sent home, resigned after winning championship and staying in the Prem, but don't let the facts get in the way.

yes he is from mayfield. he played for Cobh. we went from cobh to nottingham forrest. he ran out on his country. he left his country like all the other so called sportsmen from cork that i mentioned.

got us there? are you having a laugh? what a gutless cowardly traitor he turned out to be, running out on his country then running away from his job.
sure cork man stephen Ireland learnt it from the best with keane. two cork traitors together.

I think Ive been in cork 2-3 times in my life but anyone whos ever been involved in team sport at even half the level those boys are at will understand what theyre going through.
Would you commit yourself to all thats involved with being an intercounty player and put up with what they have? If you dont know whats involved, try and find out and then comment.

Please enlighten me. From what I can see they just want to pick their own manager.

Whats the problem with Sonia. She is also one of Irelands greatest sportswomen.

Ireland's ? might want to run that by her. as i said she got an oz passport so she could run for them. another fine cork traitor.

plus she was a joke at the olympics. cry me a river o sullivan. how many olympic medals has she got?

Ireland's ? might want to run that by her. as i said she got an oz passport so she could run for them. another fine cork traitor.

plus she was a joke at the olympics. cry me a river o sullivan. how many olympic medals has she got?

she has an olympic medal, how many do you have?

And the award for the most most ridiculous post of the year goes to....

two cork traitors together.
get off the stage man - what were they going to do? not go abroad and make a living doing what they are best at - or do you think they would have been following in Jacks footsteps and changing from Gaa to the presidency? Typical begrudger attitude that stinks but is so prevalent in our lovely country.

Same for Sonia - the girl got to the Olympics - what an achievement! or do you do it every second Sunday yourself? I am proud of her achievements which were based on a fairly humble start in Mosney.

What is it that you do yourself?

get off the stage man - what were they going to do? not go abroad and make a living doing what they are best at - or do you think they would have been following in Jacks footsteps and changing from Gaa to the presidency? Typical begrudger attitude that stinks but is so prevalent in our lovely country.

Same for Sonia - the girl got to the Olympics - what an achievement! or do you do it every second Sunday yourself? I am proud of her achievements which were based on a fairly humble start in Mosney.

What is it that you do yourself?

what? i dont begrudge them leaving cork to ply their trade in england. I hate the fact that stephen Ireland wont play for his country. the fact that roy keane ran out on his country. that miss o sullivan saw fit to get another passport so she could run for another counry.

Please enlighten me. From what I can see they just want to pick their own manager.

There's no answer to that!

As aristotle points out, the issue is not about what they have achieved or how lovely they are, it's a black and white issue of players wanting to pick their own manager because they think the current manager is not up to it.

what? i dont begrudge them leaving cork to ply their trade in england. I hate the fact that stephen Ireland wont play for his country. the fact that roy keane ran out on his country. that miss o sullivan saw fit to get another passport so she could run for another counry.

She never actually ran for Australia. She wanted to compete in the Commonwealth games at the end of her career on a once off occasion. She made it clear she would compete for Ireland at every other event so I fail to see what your problem is. Are you saying anyone with duel nationality is less Irish than you or something?

So youre saying they should be subservient? this isnt the 60's or 70s where you trained 2 nights a week and went to play in All Ireland finals after travelling to the game on a bus with supporters.

I say again, find out the level of commitment required with being an intercounty player, not just with a challenging county like Cork where the pressure is intensified as theres an expectation you will be challengin for honours.
Then see how youd react if you were part of a group that could challenge and you get landed with a manager who doesnt match your standards. What do you do, still give the same commitment? Theres no room for error at that level. If theres a weak link in the team be it on the pitch or at management level, you get axed or else you fail.
According to those players who have won All irelands, McArthy isnt up to it and they want someone in who is. Sounds fair enough to me.
(maybe its just that name that Cork sports people dont like).

its more to do with not being GAA politics. Kilkenny don't suffer this - they operate under an accepted dictatorship, alas to their advantage.

How many of us honestly think that ourselves or indeed our bosses don't make mistakes. I am not going to refuse to work if I think my boss could be better, that's being professional and getting on with things and hopefully wielding as much influence as I can.

This is a bunch that are supposedly committed to being as professional as possible. That does not mean you get to pick your boss and throw tantrums if that is not allowed.

They aren't working, they are amateur and they have decided that they (only) will not play under the current set-up. Cork is still fielding teams, however the first choice 56 (as I am given to understand) are not making themselves available. Dublin are due to play Cork in Cork. What odds on a Dublin win? Pretty good I reckon. Now that'd be one for the books - Dublin hurlers winning in Cork.

Other posters comment that Cork are becoming a laughing stock. They were already a laughing stock before. Every so often on TV programs like "A Question of Sport", we have the "What happened Next?" question about a certain football game involving Cork and Dublin. Cork refused to come out for extra time. The ball was thrown in with only one team on the pitch. they duly scored. Who decided that Cork weren't coming out for the extra time. I'll give you two guesses. Strong hint: It wasn't the Cork hurlers! - and he's still carrying on the same.

WRT picking the boss; that is exactly what was agreed with Kieran Mulvey. The players were given 2 voting position on the selection committee and the Cork bureacracy reneged on that. They were to be allowed consider only candidates nominated by the board. What option did the players then have? IMHO, none.

We'll just have to wait and see how many of the public turn out to see Cork's 4th string play Dublin.

yes he is from mayfield. he played for Cobh. we went from cobh to nottingham forrest. he ran out on his country. he left his country like all the other so called sportsmen from cork that i mentioned.

got us there? are you having a laugh? what a gutless cowardly traitor he turned out to be, running out on his country then running away from his job.
sure cork man stephen Ireland learnt it from the best with keane. two cork traitors together.

Well it is documented that McCarthy sent him home, but we can leave that aside for now. Do you think that we would have qualified without him for 2002? Plenty of people resign from their jobs its generally not considered running away from it. Managing soccer is a job not a vocation so don't lose the run of yourself.

Back