Cork Hurling Crisis

I think the interesting bit starts now. What changes ahead (if any), the clubs should keep pushing for meaningful change (I dont think Ger going is that meaningful).

... after he received a death threat.

WTF?!

Seriously? I don't like any sport so hard for me to be worked up in any way about this whole thing but I can't believe that someone would actually go as far as to make a death threat - are they utterly mad?

I'm delighted this seems to be all over, because (and sorry to all you GAA fans) I was sick and tired beyond belief of hearing about it.

I dont think its unprecedented. I know Jimmy Cooney (the Galway ref who blew up early in the Clare V Offaly game) got dogs abuse, including phone calls which, if I'm correct, promised to burn down his house etc.

I wouldnt take any of it that seriously, but it does temper any temptation for the players to "celebrate" the result since Ger attributes very despicable factors to his decision to go (and I'm not for a minute linking the players to eejits making death threats).

It's Cork. Of course they're mad......

a village pub where I come from in Cork was largely boycotted for 18 years after their sons went off to play for the next parish. Quite right too

Mind you, no country can say they are exempt from the madness, in Wicklow they've locked refs in the boots of cars for example.

Joking aside, no one can condone what was said to Ger Mc and his family. Appaling but there are plonkers everyhere

It's Cork. Of course they're mad......

Ah, Paddy!!!!!!!!!! You're at us again! Madness is all relative really. Like looking for hairs growing on the palm of your hand or trying to slap a wasp away from a referee's notebook! ;)

Ah, Paddy!!!!!!!!!! You're at us again! Madness is all relative really. Like looking for hairs growing on the palm of your hand or trying to slap a wasp away from a referee's notebook! ;)

I know.. sure those pesky wasps get everywhere!!

I had a laugh when I read this on Hoganstand:

"The county board's recommendation was to hand over the power of appointing the new manager to the GAA's Central Council. "

There's outsourcing and then there's abdicating one of your central roles. Isnt this type of admission enough to illustrate that the CCB has lost the confidence of the county (& maybe its own confidence) and should go?

Sure with Nicky Brennan (Kilkenny) still wielding influence at central council they might recommend some starlet manager from Donegal hurling !!

Passed by Páirc Ui Rinn earlier tonight. The lights were on and I took a quick look inside. 15 a side game going on. Couldn't stay too long but John Gardiner looked very sharp while I was there.

Just saw on peoplesrepublicofcork.com that TV3 are showing a programme tonight called "Rebellion-The Story of the Cork Hurling Crisis."

Checked the schedule. It's on at 9 pm.

Back