Considering a move to Cong/Cross (7 miles outside Ballinrobe)

Charlie 07

Considering a move to Cong/Cross (7 miles outside Ballinrobe) with a view to working in Castlebar/Galway. Has anybody done same/similar or any opinions to offer? What would commute time be?
Go raibh mile maith agaibh!!

Re: Cong/Cross move

Where are you working in the city? Having to come in on the infamous Headford Road would certainly make the commute a bit more stressful.

The AA say 56 minutes to the City Centre-hefty enough.

Hoping to work in Castlebar/Westport area but want to have Galway as a option if jobs don't go our way. Ballinrobe area seems to be equidistant (in milage) so thats we thinking bout Cong/Cross for the quieter life!!
Thanks for reply re commuting time!

If you're going to work on the headford side of Galway you could be ok. Fleixtime would sort you too if thats possible. Far side would be a nightmare. If you're going to work the other way towards Castlebar, Ballinrobe funnily enough can be hassle too on main st. And dont believe the hype about the bypass - they've been saying that since i was a kid. Whats the attraction with Cross in particular? Cong is lovely of course but unless you have some connection with Cross, i wouldn't see it myself. Hope i havnt upset any Cross people.

Want to stay on the Galway side of Ballinrobe and reasonably close to the N84 so thats how we came up with Cong/Cross (Cross isn't that bad!!). Would prefer the Castlebar side of Ballinrobe but if it came about that we had to work in Galway, then we'd be adding to our journey. Basically, want to set ourselves up now in a place with many options so that we wont have house in the future. Maybe I'm too hopefull?

Cong/Cross is a lovely area to live in. Due to an oversupply of land there are many empty unsold houses in this area - especially Cross which is cheaper than Cong - less tourism. This can be a problem in Cong as some of these tourists can be pretty intimidating. Cross is a lovely village with a lot to do. A very good lively pub (weekend only!) and a new top class restaurant. IMO Cross is a nicer village as people are very open and welcoming. Both schools are very good. Sport in abundance - top class lakes for fishing and water sports, soccer, rugby, GAA, basketball, Squash, handball, gym, a superb golf course (secong to none!), hill walking, super cycling club. Commute to Castlebar and Westport is very easy (1/2 hour). Galway less easy (1 hour in rushhour - 40 minutes out of rush hour.

Depends what part of Galway you're going to work. I work in Parkmore Bus Park West and it takes me 30 mins to get to work. My wife works in Liosban and it takes her 50-60mins.

OP - are you considering buying a house or building as a matter of interest?

Originally the plan was to build. However the cost of a site plus the build is not far off the cost of a second hand house . Some nice ones on the market. Do you know if they are moving quickly and getting guide price or on the market for a while?
We're a primary teacher/ IT combination so want to keep options open. Agree with the Cross comment, much nicer village!
Thanks for replies!

Originally the plan was to build. However the cost of a site plus the build is not far off the cost of a second hand house . Some nice ones on the market. Do you know if they are moving quickly and getting guide price or on the market for a while?
We're a primary teacher/ IT combination so want to keep options open. Agree with the Cross comment, much nicer village!
Thanks for replies!

My advice is to speak to local auctioneers. Whatever they ask offer at least 20% lower. Some sellers are desperate. Even with a lower offer they are still making a profit.

Just wondering if you would consider Headford? Its closer to Galway than Cong and I'd say would also be commutable to Castlebar (but I'm open to correction on that.

C

mmm maybe? Would prefer a small village though (both of us are country mice!!). Plus, the plan is to work in Mayo with a commute to Galway only coming about if work not available in Mayo. Therefore a move to Headford would reduce the commute to Galway but increase the commute to the preferred Castlebar.
Thanks for the input though!

You may be better off trying somewhere like Clonbur. Headford can be a bit rough. If you are coming from city living you will not regret it.

bi curamach ar an bothar idir cross agus gaillimh.

im talking about the road from cross to barna. its very bendy and its easy to loose control, especially in winter mornings with icy roads.

i often drive galway to westport about 1.25hr. its a fair enough drive but listen.....you pass through some of the best countryside in europe and youll meet very little other cars let alone traffic. putting on the aa roadwatch and listening to the nightmare the happens in dublin every morning and evening will make a long drive pleasureable.
on some parts of the road theres no phone signal and often the radio signal is didgey at best. but believe me, its stress free driving.
just take ur time and drive safely.

Clonbur. Is this An Fhairce?
To go to Galway, would you go the Cong-Cross-Headford route or the Maam Cross-Moycullen route?

Clonbur. Is this An Fhairce?
To go to Galway, would you go the Cong-Cross-Headford route or the Maam Cross-Moycullen route?

Most people would go via Cong, Headford. The other road is way more scenic but definitely in winter the road is more dangerous.

Clonbur is a little piece of heaven... The people there are so friendly and they seem to be very much into the community. We have friends living there and we love to visit regularly and take in a bit of fishing on the mask at the same time. It is a gaeltach village, it is as you said An Fhairce but we know it as Clonbur.

But I dread the road from Galway to Clonbur every time..., but would still love to live there.

mercman, I'd be interested to know why you think Headford is a bit rough? My other half is from there and I've never gotten that impression when visiting......

tks
C

Thanks for replies!

re your question about houses moving quickly I can only speak on a personal level. My sister has her house for sale for almost 2 years and price has come down from €275k (which I thought was too high to start with) it is now selling for €210k so prices are coming down and sales are slow. !st auctioneer never brought anyone to view so she changed after 18 months having quiet a few viewings now. She is located 15 mins from Castlebar and approx 55 from Galway via the dreaded Claregalway route.

Think long and hard about the location , family and I moved West to Westport from the east coast last year and while Westport is a super location jobs are primarily centered around Sligo and Galway.
While we were struggling to get a house and eventually a site in Westport we seriously looked at the townlands around Claremorris as it is on a good road to both Galway and Sligo and still has the country charm.
On house prices from 12 months of looking I could easily pick out 10 local properties that have spent 12 months on the market and are not shifting as the prices are silly, estate agents will tell you differently.so research the market carrefully, estate agents and vendors seem to add a % when they think you have pockets of money from an east coast move .
Look into a self build as sites can be got for 50 -70 k and now is a good time to buy and build , assuming you get planning which is another story.

Colleague of mine tells me that the number of unsold houses in Ballinrobe & its' environs is well into 3 figures, so every chance you can strike a good deal for a nice house there.
With regard to work, the number of people commuting from Mayo to Galway every day will tell you something about the jobs market there. To be fair, there ARE jobs in Mayo, and teachers never seem to be stuck for work, but Castlebar/ Westport certainly aren't an IT hotspot.

Concentrate on finding the right job first - it's possible that a slight career change could mean that you can live where you want to, rather than where you have to. There are some real run-down looking towns in Mayo & north Galway too, so take your time.

Very best of luck, whatever you choose.

Back