Commute times + distances

thespecialon

Id just like to get a feel for the commute times + distances people are doing these days- and if they have any hints on how to improve it- better car's etc.I drive a nissan almera 1.4litre petrol

I currently do 80miles a day return from work to home, takes me about 1 hour each way.I find it quite tiring but manageable.Dont have huge traffic to deal with its mainly the distance.can't afford to move closer as already have house built etc etc.Obviously spend quite a bit on fuel but think it works out cheaper than renting + having a house at home.

Ian Dempsey is a saviour as is Mat cooper and definetly helps to pass the day.

I leave the house at 6.50, get a ca. 7.10 train and get into work at approx. 8.30. In the evenings I leave work at 5.00, get 5.50 train and arrive in front door around 6.35 (all going well). I reckon if I were to drive, I could leave in the morning at 7.30 to get into work for 9, and get home around 6/6.30 in the evening.

I leave house at 6:35am for a 6:50 train and all going well get to work about 8:15. All going well again I get a train at 17:25 which has me in my house at 18:40pm. The least I am gone all day is 12 hours but as work demands I could be home anytime up to 10pm. Ways to improve it? Change jobs to one nearer home? Sacrifice the salary/career advancement or whatever the incentive is in the other job for the sake of a better quality of life? I would be prepared for that.
Having said that, the train is a much more pleasurable and stress free way of travelling. I can doze or read or knit if I feel so inclined!! There's never any problems getting a seat on my route either. Delays are all too common but then it's not as unpredictable as traffic usually, so it works for me.

I have a 25 mile/40 KM drive each way to work. I leave at 9.15am and am in for 10am (2 miles west of Dublin City). I leave at 6 in the evening and usually get in home by about 6.50pm. I recommend you change the car to a diesel engine you'll get a lot more miles to the gallon. You can get 1.4 and 1.6 diesel engines these days.

Ya must definetly look into a diesel car..dont they require more servicing though + more expensive to purchase? But i guess with my mileage would deffo make savings in the long run

Do you really get more miles to the gallon on diesel ?
Is there much of a difference given that diesel/petrol are almost same same at pumps.

Get up at 630
leave house at 722
get train at 734
usually get seat or floor space
get into pearse at 820
get into work at 835
leave at 1655 for the 1713 or at 1710 for the 1729
latest im home is 1815 and its STILL not good enough. I work late as its demanded although i skive out of late work as much as is humanely possible,im here til 730ish tonight.

Would give up professional career in IT to do manual labour if it meant i could build my own home in a quiet part of ireland and live away from the urban chaos that has engulfed our towns,
the tw*ts that shove onto/off the train,
the muppets that fight over opened closed windows,
the idiots that scrum through station doors at night,
the ignorants who bounce off you when walking without so much as an apology.

I hate Dublin city, its an absolute hole, the black hole of leinster it should be called.

Give me a house thats about 50 miles and 2 hours drive down the worst pot holed roads and up a dirt track embedded in the side of some godforsaken mountain bog with a nice acre or two around it, a stable, a horse, a couple of dogs and a thatched roof.

Ah thats the life... rant over.

Morpheus, you poor thing, I actually couldn't stop laughing though when I read it! Why don't you just get the hell out of the black hole and just up and head down the country, you'd be surprised, you'd love it, lots of lock ins and some general community spirit!

Matt Copper is getting on my tits of late. please let people answer questions fully before butting in.

Get up at 6.30am. leave at 6.50am. into work at 8.20 am (40 miles drive).Leave work at 4.30pm.arrive home for 5.45pm. I'm driving a corsa (1ltr) at the moment, and its stuggling from the mileage I'm doing. But I'm hoping to stay going until later this year before I change it ! The only reason I do this is that I love my job! Although if circumstances changes I would have to look closer to home.

leave home at 7am, work for 7.45am, leave at 4.30pm and home for 5.15pm, against the flow of traffic which is great... its about 25miles each way. Was commuting to Dublin for approx 2 1/2 years. You don't realise the toll it takes on yoru life until you stop the commuting. I was leaving mu home at 6.30am, gettign to work approx 8.10am , leaving again at 4.15pm, hoepfully get a bus before 5.30pm if the driver was really sorry for me and would stop, be home by 6.45pm...... hoepfully i will never have to face it again.

Get up 7am. Leave house 7.40am. In work 7.50 am. Leave work 5pm.Home at 5.10pm.
BTW this is in Vilnius Lithuania

Morpheus, you poor thing, I actually couldn't stop laughing though when I read it! Why don't you just get the hell out of the black hole and just up and head down the country, you'd be surprised, you'd love it, lots of lock ins and some general community spirit!

I'll second that! "The decision is the hard bit, the rest is just detail!" I did it myself 7 years ago when I was staring down the throat of doing an ever worsening commute til I was 60 or so. Breakdown was imminent, but now much better! Just decide is that what you want, then decide to do it. You'll never regret it.

Get up a 7.40, leave house at 8.15.
3.5 mile cycle trip to work in 12-15 mins.
Shower in work and at desk at 8.45.

Living in Galway so that trip is almost from one side of the city to the other..

Leave house at 6.55 drive to station
Catch train at 7.18 if parking available
Arrive at 8.35
Walk 10mins
At work 8.45ish all going well

Leave 4.45
Walk, Dart, Train, Drive - home about 7ish

2hours each way, 4hours a day, 20 hours a week

God I hate commuting but can't afford the pay cut to leave...

BB

Get up at 7.55, leave house at 8.20. In work for 8.40.
10 miles drive to work
Work until 5.30, home at 5.55.
Traffic is worse in the evening so it takes an extra 5 minutes driving.

leave the house @ 7:40
train at 7:55
arrive in Work ( IFSC) @ 8:30

I live in Kildare but work with people who are living in Dublin - ok county dublin and its takes them 90 minutes each way - but its ok because they live in Dublin and i live all the way out in the "sticks"

Ya must definetly look into a diesel car..dont they require more servicing though + more expensive to purchase? But i guess with my mileage would deffo make savings in the long run

Whey hey, you must be my commute double. I do an 80 mile round trip, thankfully not much in the way of traffic, so it takes an hour in 8am -9am and about 1.15 back home 5.30 - 6.45pm . I drive a 1.4 petrol , which has really been through the mill mileage wise this year. I'm trying to make a decision about what to do with teh car, as another year of this and it wont be worth much.

See my other thread on the economy of diesel .....although I am getting a much better discussion with the same thread on boards.ie . http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055045494

15-20 minute walk to work living and working in the same Dublin central postal district.

Leave house about 7.30. Across the city via the port and then the East Link toll bridge. Arrive in office around 8.30 (-/+ 10 or 15 minutes for a good/bad day... really bad day you can add what you like and you could still be wrong).

Journey home a lot faster given heading away from the city. Around 45mins around 6 p.m. (unless the point has a concert on, again, add what you like for delays, your guess is as good as mine on any given day - Monday was about 20 mins to get from the East Toll (heading North) to the roundabout at The Point (as much as I never liked Shane Warn/Ward/Whatever before, I vow to never listen to one of his songs again now!)).

In Cork (time spent 50/50 between the two atm)...
Leave house at 8.20. Through the JLT from the north side. Up towards Blackrock and in the office about 8.45. Going home pretty much the same, slightly less traffic on the Dunkettle/Dunkettle Interchange but it's normally moving fairly free so either way only makes a couple of minutes difference. Leave office around 6.30 p.m. and reach home shortly before 7 p.m..

Dublin: would be slightly faster (and probably cheaper) to use Public Transport (Dart) but a car usually is a requirement of work. (when no requirement [notified in advance] I do use the Dart)
Cork: same situation, but due to the locations I couldn't use PT without trebling my travel time so car is always used.

Back